Sam Maguire Group 2 - Galway, Armagh, Tyrone, Westmeath

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

Quote from: Rossfan on June 13, 2023, 10:26:35 AM
Are GAA people unique among sports followers in never reading, listening or taking in the formats, rules etc of competitions?
Mod 5 laid it all out for ye.
You can't draw the 3rd from your own Group and can't be repeats of Provincial Finals.

I'm a busy man.  Thanks for enlightening me  :D

seafoid

It's complicated. I wonder if the format will survive into next year.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Quote from: balladmaker on June 13, 2023, 11:57:13 AM
Are GAA people unique among sports followers in never reading, listening or taking in the formats, rules etc of competitions?
You can't draw the 3rd from your own Group and can't be repeats of Provincial Finals.

Trying to up the 6 Cos productivity ;D?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

balladmaker

Quote from: Rossfan on June 13, 2023, 12:44:05 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on June 13, 2023, 11:57:13 AM

Trying to up the 6 Cos productivity ;D?

Singlehandedly, doing my best  ;D

balladmaker

Quote from: seafoid on June 13, 2023, 12:35:19 PM

I think there is an argument to be made ref. only 2 teams going through from each group to quarter-finals, as opposed to the pre-lim scenario.  I know the current format was to avoid dead rubbers, but it feels like most games have a dead rubber feel to them once you've won one game.  Attendances also speak for themselves.  I think it will change again.  Provincials need to be totally detached from All Ireland, run them at start of season, then into the league which will feed into the All Ireland seedings. 

They also need to prolong the season by a few weeks, maybe All Ireland end of August instead of July, as the condensed nature of it at the minute is not ideal imo.

seafoid

Quote from: balladmaker on June 13, 2023, 12:52:34 PM

I think there is an argument to be made ref. only 2 teams going through from each group to quarter-finals, as opposed to the pre-lim scenario.  I know the current format was to avoid dead rubbers, but it feels like most games have a dead rubber feel to them once you've won one game.  Attendances also speak for themselves.  I think it will change again.  Provincials need to be totally detached from All Ireland, run them at start of season, then into the league which will feed into the All Ireland seedings. 

They also need to prolong the season by a few weeks, maybe All Ireland end of August instead of July, as the condensed nature of it at the minute is not ideal imo.
There is an element of the unknown about it as well. We don't know how the 3rd placed teams will do. Maybe playing for 3rd place won't turn out to be a great idea.  Maybe next year if it is retained teams will see it differently.
One of the positive aspects is that most matches have been competitive. And more games means more experience.

Blowitupref

Seen one journalist say its a three year trial. Nearly sure he's mixing up this format with the last group format in 2018,2019 which didn't see three years because of covid.

For this format to end and new one would need to replace it via congress though any tweaks will likely be done next year. I think it's only fair that every team that reaches the last 8 gets two weeks to prepare for that match.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Estimator

Quote from: seafoid on June 13, 2023, 02:05:00 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on June 13, 2023, 12:52:34 PM

There is an element of the unknown about it as well. We don't know how the 3rd placed teams will do. Maybe playing for 3rd place won't turn out to be a great idea.  Maybe next year if it is retained teams will see it differently.
One of the positive aspects is that most matches have been competitive. And more games means more experience.

The home tie for the second placed team should be a huge positive. In the Tailteann Cup Carlow beat Longford in the final league game. Which give Carlow the advantage in the prelim - they got a home tie with New York, Longford had to travel to Down. Now it did work out that there was a even split between home and away victories in that competition.
Kerry look like they should finish second in their group, and any side travelling to Killarney for the prelim, will find it difficult getting out of there with a good result. So the like of Armagh and Tyrone in this particular group, will be looking for second spot and a good home draw in the prelim
Ulster League Champions 2009

balladmaker

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 13, 2023, 02:22:38 PM

Seen one journalist say its a three year trial. Nearly sure he's mixing up this format with the last group format in 2018,2019 which didn't see three years because of covid.

For this format to end and new one would need to replace it via congress though any tweaks will likely be done next year. I think it's only fair that every team that reaches the last 8 gets two weeks to prepare for that match.

Agree.  The likes of Kerry won't know what has hit them this year ... finish second, play pre-lim, play Q/Final ... 3 games within a 2 week period, should be interesting.  Thankfully, the days of playing 2 or 3 games in Munster to make it to an All Ireland Q/Final, or semi in the old days, are over.

armaghniac

Quote from: balladmaker on June 13, 2023, 03:24:31 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on June 13, 2023, 02:22:38 PM

Agree.  The likes of Kerry won't know what has hit them this year ... finish second, play pre-lim, play Q/Final ... 3 games within a 2 week period, should be interesting.  Thankfully, the days of playing 2 or 3 games in Munster to make it to an All Ireland Q/Final, or semi in the old days, are over.

Even Armagh is better than any other Munster team and while Kerry should win such a game it would be dangerous to have a bad day.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

illdecide

I've decided to wait on Killarney for next weekend rather than go to Leitrim this weekend. What a shitty ground and venue for such a game, the low crowd and slow uptake in tickets says it all. Was not a game for Croker either as it would only have been 1/3 full...possible double header with 50-60k but the ideal ground would have been Brefni Pk or Tullamore etc. Anyway I expect Armagh to put up another gallant performance but still lose and play Kerry the following weekend which will probably be the end of their season (hope i'm wrong on both). This format is crap and fully expect change next year...The dates are a load of bollix...The Inter County season to be over by the end of July is shocking...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Duine Eile

Rian O'Neill's appeal against his red card is taking place this evening.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: illdecide on June 13, 2023, 04:32:59 PM
I've decided to wait on Killarney for next weekend rather than go to Leitrim this weekend. What a shitty ground and venue for such a game, the low crowd and slow uptake in tickets says it all. Was not a game for Croker either as it would only have been 1/3 full...possible double header with 50-60k but the ideal ground would have been Brefni Pk or Tullamore etc. Anyway I expect Armagh to put up another gallant performance but still lose and play Kerry the following weekend which will probably be the end of their season (hope i'm wrong on both). This format is crap and fully expect change next year...The dates are a load of bollix...The Inter County season to be over by the end of July is shocking...
Armagh could top the group yet sure.

lenny

Quote from: illdecide on June 13, 2023, 04:32:59 PM

Why do you say that? The vast majority of players are club players and they deserve a decent, proper structured season. We need to give it another year or 2 but the split season looks good so far. The games coming thick and fast is brilliant and means the season isn't stretched out for no reason.

seafoid

In restaurants they operate split service. Some staff do breakfast and the evening meal. Other staff do lunchtime.
Something similar would work for clubs. April to May. September to October.
Standardise every county championship. No replays.