Provincial Championship Draws 2018 tonight

Started by Shamrock Shore, October 19, 2017, 12:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: Rossfan on October 20, 2017, 09:28:01 AM
To Bomber and other Ulster whingers - why don't ye put up a motion to either abolish the Provincials or to have them as  stand alone competitions with no direct link to the All Ireland Championship.

as an Ulsterman, I like the provincial championships. They are what the are

Rossfan

They are but it's still unfair that we can beat one D4 team and be in the last 12 at worst while Donegal could win 2 games and only get to Round 2 if the Qualifiers.
However I'm not complaining......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

To Bomber and other Ulster whingers - why don't ye put up a motion to either abolish the Provincials or to have them as  stand alone competitions with no direct link to the All Ireland Championship.
I feel in time the Provincial championships will be stand alone as the grey hair men in suits at HQ will broker a deal. A motion should be put in place to give the NFL a direct link to the championship but i doubt Mr Duffys ready made and like for like replacement will have the common sense to do that in the foreseeable future.

BennyCake

They haven't been a direct link to the AI championships since 2001.

Maroon Manc

Mayo again, Roscommon certainly have had the luck with the draw this decade.

No dates released yet, would imagine it will be mid May at the latest.

Esmarelda

Quote from: BennyCake on October 20, 2017, 09:42:50 AM

The provincial winners don't enter the quarter finals of the All-Ireland championship?

BennyCake

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 20, 2017, 10:08:01 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 20, 2017, 09:42:50 AM

The provincial winners don't enter the quarter finals of the All-Ireland championship?

Yes, but no matter how far you go in provincial c'ship, you end up in a different competition.

Rossfan

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 20, 2017, 09:41:22 AM
A motion should be put in place to give the NFL a direct link to the championship
You'd have to have the NFL running later then with maybe Provincials run along with it on alternate weeks.
The present NFL is a pre "the real thing" tournament with teams in different stages of preparation and others missing players involved in AI Club competitions.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

weareros

Quote from: Rossfan on October 20, 2017, 09:32:43 AM
They are but it's still unfair that we can beat one D4 team and be in the last 12 at worst while Donegal could win 2 games and only get to Round 2 if the Qualifiers.

Ironically, Connacht has only one less game than Ulster, and we saw last year the standard not that high in Ulster. However while everyone will complain about the amount of games, the real inequity is in population size. Tyrone while not a big population still had a nationalist population over 4 times size of Leitrim and twice that of Ros. So what does it matter if they play an extra game or two - they will always be there or thereabouts. Leitrim nearly never and Ros every 10 or 15 years. Thereabouts = provincial contender.

magpie seanie

Great draw for Roscommon. Beat Leitrim/NY and you've two shots at making the last 8. If we get over London, unlike our last trip, then it's one of the big 2. We're due a home game against Mayo but would be away to Galway. If Mayo are sluggish in June like they've been the last couple of years and we have them at home then maybe (I'm expecting us to improve significantly with new management - we were badly hampered by the last guy). If they're not good though then Galway will probably knock them off for the 3rd year running. Great for Connacht Council to have a Mayo/Galway game AND a Connacht Final again this year.  :-X

the goal was on

system is a joke when you put it like that. beat leitrim or new york and get 2 shots at super 8. Donegal need to beat 3 teams for there first shot! Roscommon avoid a 1st rd game in connacght but also qualifiers if they were to lose to leitrim/NY.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on October 20, 2017, 09:32:43 AM

The standard in Ulster is quite poor, not that the people complaining about how tough it is would admit it.

An open draw in an age where a single team is far bigger and far richer than everyone else is a recipe for disaster. I have interest in winning a provincial title but absolutely zero in being cannon fodder for Dublin.

Shamrock Shore

My bad.

Last Longford v Meath championship was 1995, not 1992.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xandvOgsAX4

It's amazing that Marty looks the same 20 years ago as he does now!

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: rrhf on October 20, 2017, 08:54:44 AM
Good draw for Tyrone. Monaghan are done and it's the better side of the draw. Super 8s here we come!

When do they release the dates of the games?
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience