James McClean

Started by thewobbler, July 19, 2015, 12:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longballin

Quote from: Cunny Funt on December 17, 2017, 05:29:38 PM
Can someone explain to me how McClean won that award last night instead of Katie Taylor?

More people voted for him  8)

Redhand Santa

Can someone explain to me how McClean won that award last night instead of Katie Taylor?

Personally I think Taylor is overrated especially when you consider the limited number of female boxers. She fought  a part time American the other night who had very limited fights both as an ameteur and professional and struggled to get past her. If any boxer was to get it Burnett would have been much more deserving winner.

Itchy

Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 17, 2017, 06:07:20 PM

Personally I think Taylor is overrated especially when you consider the limited number of female boxers. She fought  a part time American the other night who had very limited fights both as an ameteur and professional and struggled to get past her. If any boxer was to get it Burnett would have been much more deserving winner.

Struggled to get by her. She thumped her on points despite a ridiculous penalty point called by the referee.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Itchy on December 17, 2017, 07:25:25 PM

Struggled to get by her. She thumped her on points despite a ridiculous penalty point called by the referee.

She did win easy on points but it was a very tough fight for her. She seems to have very quick hands but not much power. But maybe knockouts (autocorrect tried to correct this to knickers which would have messed up the sentence!) are unusual in women's boxing. I just feel given the numbers involved and haven't watched a lot of her fights that she's over hyped.

From the Bunker

If you gauged how hard you punched your fist into the air when McClean scored against Wales as opposed to the Taylors World title win - then your answer is there!

BennyCake

Because women's boxing is an abomination.

From the Bunker

Look - Why has this got to turn into a Womens Boxing is shite in order to prove McClean is a more worthy winner?

Cunny Funt

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 17, 2017, 08:17:26 PM

If you gauged how hard you punched your fist into the air when McClean scored against Wales as opposed to the Taylors World title win - then your answer is there!
Robbie Keanes late goal against Germany in the 2002 World cup was the last time i punched my fist into the air watching ROI play. Katie Taylor over overrated? more like underappreciated IMO.

SHEEDY

it proves how poor a sporting year we've had. no real stand out candidates and the winner came from a team that ultimately failed to qualify for the world cup. katie taylor, ryan burnett or joe canning for me with joe just shading it.
nil satis nisi optimum

Captain Obvious

Because the Derry wans would be voting morning, noon and night for him plus he wins a lot of the popular vote for not wearing a poppy.

Itchy

Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 17, 2017, 07:37:42 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 17, 2017, 07:25:25 PM

She did win easy on points but it was a very tough fight for her. She seems to have very quick hands but not much power. But maybe knockouts (autocorrect tried to correct this to knickers which would have messed up the sentence!) are unusual in women's boxing. I just feel given the numbers involved and haven't watched a lot of her fights that she's over hyped.

I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that the other champ in USA has never stopped an opponent. The power isn't in women's boxing and the rounds are only 2mins also. Taylor is a classy fighter, the woman she fought the other days was a brawler with a big punch but no boxing finesse.

GJL

James is a good lad and I'm glad to see him win. Probably were better options but that's not his fault. As for women's boxing?? Terrible.

BennyCake

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 17, 2017, 08:40:46 PM
Look - Why has this got to turn into a Womens Boxing is shite in order to prove McClean is a more worthy winner?

I didn't say McClean was a worthy winner.

The Irish tiddlywinks champion would be more worthy than a woman boxer though.

laoislad

Taylor is a far more deserving winner. She's the best at what she does. McClean isn't even a very good footballer.  Plenty of heart but let's be honest he is fairly average.
I'd love to see some of you lads get into a boxing ring with Taylor...
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

From the Bunker

Quote from: laoislad on December 17, 2017, 09:27:37 PM
Taylor is a far more deserving winner. She's the best at what she does. McClean isn't even a very good footballer.  Plenty of heart but let's be honest he is fairly average.
I'd love to see some of you lads get into a boxing ring with Taylor...

I have to problem recognising Taylor. The title says Irish sports personality of the year 2017. It's not about being the best (well not really). It's about the Personality of the Sportsperson, how happy they made you feel and how attached you feel to that person.

Katie Taylor has achieved so much in her career. And her success makes me happy and proud. But I would not be as attached as I would be to Mayo football or Rep. of Ireland national side.