Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

If you were to play Brennan and Bradley in the forward line I think Bradley would have to go to centre half forward like he did in 2015. I'm not sure you'd get away with both in the full forward line.

I'd love to see us play a higher press game and push up on kick outs this year. If we don't have the ball players should drop back but the objective should be to get the ball back as quick as possible, not to mark space.

southtyronegael

i think lee brennan has the potential to go right to the top. but then i thought that about raymond mulgrew, kyle coney and ronan o neill so i wont get my hopes up too much.

longballin

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 10, 2018, 06:40:09 PM
I think it's fairly lazy of McEntee to be comparing Lee Brennan to Steven O'Neill or suggesting he is taking on that role, he's clearly not in that category at the minute (it doesn't take a football genius to point that out) but he's the best finisher we have got. It's an easy throw away line as a journalist to give a back handed criticism to say a player isn't as good as Steven O'Neill or another great player from their county. There aren't many forwards in the whole of Ireland as good as Stevie, is he going to go through every team in Ulster and say their best forward isn't as good as Steven O'Neill? If Lee kicks 1-5 or 0-6 or 0-8 in games be that from play or frees and doesn't do another thing then as far as I'm concerned it's his job done. I wouldn't be heaping pressure on him to be the next O'Neill but if he does turn into that type of player, what a bonus that would be.

he's hardy a journalist

the goal was on

Heard tonight Colm cav and Brennan both played internal game aover weekend in Johnson house, cav was sprinting up and down sideline for about 15 mins and then joined in with group. Was hell for leather by all accounts

BennyHarp

Quote from: square_ball on May 10, 2018, 09:41:03 PM
You are all very sensitive. Thought it was a fair enough analysis. He's been the saviour according to this very forum for the past few years. If anything it took the pressure completely off Brennan. You only have to look at Monaghan and Jack McCarron he had a great league campaign last year and a terrible championship.

Not being sensitive, just thought it was a bit of lazy analysis to compare his role in the team with that of Steven O'Neill. Does he compare the best young Armagh player to Stevie McDonnell and suggest he's not up to that level? It's hardly ground breaking analysis to suggest Lee, who hasn't kicked a championship ball yet, isn't at that level.
That was never a square ball!!

BennyHarp

Quote from: longballin on May 10, 2018, 10:34:35 PM
I think it's fairly lazy of McEntee to be comparing Lee Brennan to Steven O'Neill or suggesting he is taking on that role, he's clearly not in that category at the minute (it doesn't take a football genius to point that out) but he's the best finisher we have got. It's an easy throw away line as a journalist to give a back handed criticism to say a player isn't as good as Steven O'Neill or another great player from their county. There aren't many forwards in the whole of Ireland as good as Stevie, is he going to go through every team in Ulster and say their best forward isn't as good as Steven O'Neill? If Lee kicks 1-5 or 0-6 or 0-8 in games be that from play or frees and doesn't do another thing then as far as I'm concerned it's his job done. I wouldn't be heaping pressure on him to be the next O'Neill but if he does turn into that type of player, what a bonus that would be.

he's hardy a journalist

Pundit then 🙄

longballin

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 10, 2018, 10:58:18 PM
Quote from: longballin on May 10, 2018, 10:34:35 PM

he's hardy a journalist

Pundit then 🙄

former GAA player  8)

Fuzzman

Talk is cheap and I wouldn't be putting too much interest in what an ex Armagh player says.
Like these were lads who wore rounded triangles on their jerseys hoping it would be the last piece of the jigsaw to bring them over the line. Did he have much impact on Mayo last year?

It will be interesting to see what impact Paddy Tally has on Galway this year.
Some people have promoted them back into the mix of being a top team judging by their league showing this year whereas others are wondering are they still a top 8 team like Monaghan or Tiperrary but no better than that. Time will tell I suppose but I'd be delighted to come up against either of those 3 in an AI semifinal like Wexford in 2008.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0327/950400-jordan-paddy-tally/

Anyone know how McCarron is doing? I thought he looked a bit slowish in the league and wondered could he be on his way out. He's older now with a family and your priorities change at that age. I wouldn't be surprised to see him and McNamee dropped.

http://www.gaa.ie/football/news/ronan-mcnamee-leading-the-tyrone-charge/

Ethan Tremblay

Thought his comment was fair enough.  Comparisons like this are made throughout each county, when a talented player comes along, e.g. Jamie Clarke – Mc Conville, David Clifford – Gooch.  I think the point he was putting across that the cream of the crop rises during the championship when everything is on the line each game. 

He is right in saying putting up massive scores against a club team mean nothing when your up against a genuine top class defender in Croke Park in August, but is he is wrong in thinking he isn't ready to take the mantle of talisman forward? Time will tell...
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

BennyHarp

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on May 11, 2018, 12:00:24 PM
Thought his comment was fair enough.  Comparisons like this are made throughout each county, when a talented player comes along, e.g. Jamie Clarke – Mc Conville, David Clifford – Gooch.  I think the point he was putting across that the cream of the crop rises during the championship when everything is on the line each game. 

He is right in saying putting up massive scores against a club team mean nothing when your up against a genuine top class defender in Croke Park in August, but is he is wrong in thinking he isn't ready to take the mantle of talisman forward? Time will tell...

Is it good analysis though? Maybe I'm wrong but I'd expect someone of McEntee's experience to be analysing how Tyrone may (or may not) be adapting their offensive strategy from previous seasons to get their forwards more into scoring positions and the role the likes of Lee Brennan will play in this. Rather than making a fairly lazy comparison to Steven O'Neil and the churning out the tired old line about the white heat of championship footballl. I don't need to be a former county player to tell you that Lee currently isn't as good as Stevie or that Clifford may take a few seasons to get to the level of Gooch. But I'd expect a little bit of insight into how are these teams going to use these players in their debut season from someone like McEntee. Lee Brennan could be very effective for Tyrone this summer without ever hitting the heights that O'Neill did.

Club boi

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 11, 2018, 12:31:19 PM

Is it good analysis though? Maybe I'm wrong but I'd expect someone of McEntee's experience to be analysing how Tyrone may (or may not) be adapting their offensive strategy from previous seasons to get their forwards more into scoring positions and the role the likes of Lee Brennan will play in this. Rather than making a fairly lazy comparison to Steven O'Neil and the churning out the tired old line about the white heat of championship footballl. I don't need to be a former county player to tell you that Lee currently isn't as good as Stevie or that Clifford may take a few seasons to get to the level of Gooch. But I'd expect a little bit of insight into how are these teams going to use these players in their debut season from someone like McEntee. Lee Brennan could be very effective for Tyrone this summer without ever hitting the heights that O'Neill did.

McEntee is entitled to his opinion just like you are to disagree with him. I would imagine it could benefit Brennan in using it as motivation. And who cares what a former Armagh player thinks. Mugsys comments were more hurtful as he is a Tyrone Leg - End

Fuzzman

http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2018/05/11/news/pomeroy-s-finest-frank-burns-keen-to-make-his-mark-with-tyrone-1325098/

Good article.
Why do people think its taken him a bit longer than the other U21s to come to the fore

Do ye not think it's mind games re McEntee?
He's planting a seed of doubt in his mind and he knows he's got nothing to lose. Id say he didn't put much thought into it to be fair but should Armagh meet Tyroe again this year there will be added pressure on Lee now to perform.

qz

More BS from McEntee in his article "Will Tyrone make home advantage count in Healy Park, Omagh? It was once the most feared fortress in Ireland"

Do any of you recall Omagh ever been a fortress.. love to see the evidence. It's one of my biggest worries for the Monaghan game, having to play it in Omagh.

Dire Ear

Agree with you qz,  Armagh, Dungannon even,  better records I'd have thought

lenny

Quote from: Club boi on May 11, 2018, 01:25:39 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 11, 2018, 12:31:19 PM

McEntee is entitled to his opinion just like you are to disagree with him. I would imagine it could benefit Brennan in using it as motivation. And who cares what a former Armagh player thinks. Mugsys comments were more hurtful as he is a Tyrone Leg - End

Lee doesn't need to take or listen to advice/opinions from a man who's driven into the same pothole 3 times in the last month. His column is usually drivel.