Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

congrats to colly cavanagh on his well deserved all star award. a true tyrone gael who never ever lets his county down no matter what. automatic choice for captain next year. maith thu!

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Congratulations to Colm Cavanagh. Well deserved award for a player who has worked incredibly hard to establish himself as a key man for Tyrone. Hopefully a good bit more to come from him.

lenny

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on November 03, 2017, 09:06:20 PM
Congratulations to Colm Cavanagh. Well deserved award for a player who has worked incredibly hard to establish himself as a key man for Tyrone. Hopefully a good bit more to come from him.

He deserved one but probably at chb or full back because he spent most of his time in those areas. Enda smith and tom parsons were better at midfield this year and are both extremely unlucky.

Over the Bar

Quote from: lenny on November 03, 2017, 09:27:58 PM

He deserved one but probably at chb or full back because he spent most of his time in those areas. Enda smith and tom parsons were better at midfield this year and are both extremely unlucky.

The GAA have for many years nominated players in positions they haven't played in. e.g. Canavan at CHF at expense of Brian McGuigan in 2005.  That in no way detracts from Colm Cavanagh's award. Well done big man!  Tyrone Legend with more to come.

Thebigdog

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 03, 2017, 11:06:04 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 03, 2017, 08:38:47 AM
Who are the likely newcomers next year?

With Justy and Sean Cavanagh retiring and McGeary in the England next year you would imagine there will be a few places up for grabs.

Grugan and McLaughlin of Omagh might be brought in. Will Tierney be brought back in?

Of last year's u-21s McKernan is the most likely addition. Ruairi Sludden and Mark Kavanagh would be two more options but they wouldn't really give us anything we don't already have.

I'd imagine we'll see 7 or 8 new faces for the O'Fiach and McKenna Cups. There's a good few lads who have been round a few years now without really making much of an impact and they must be questioning things.

Just on the lads that have been around for awhile to no breakthrough. Would you say that's an issue for them, or the management? I sometimes wonder myself, you'll hear of lads called into the panel now over the next few weeks to train their hearts out over December and January for very little gametime. Always though the more established players in the squad should be exempt from these pre season cups - Aiden McCrory was lifting it last year I think, did he even need to be there?
Mickey will make sure Aidan mccrory and his other favourites are a constant starter on the Tyrone teamsheet. God forbid some other fella came in, played brilliantly, mccrory may have to be dropped and that wouldn't do! Well done big Colm....on talking to RTE lol. The furhfrer will drop him now lol

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: Over the Bar on November 03, 2017, 09:47:25 PM

The GAA have for many years nominated players in positions they haven't played in. e.g. Canavan at CHF at expense of Brian McGuigan in 2005.  That in no way detracts from Colm Cavanagh's award. Well done big man! Tyrone Legend with more to come.

wonder what qualifies as a Tyrone legend?  Frank Mc Guigan, Peter Canavan, Iggy Jones frank Donnelly legends in my eyes! Colm Cavanagh? don't think so.  Played his best football as a spoiler

GetOverTheBar

Fair play to Cavanagh for getting an All Star. Honestly though, I'm not entirely sure any Tyrone player deserved in there. Just my opinon.

Carmen Stateside

Fully deserved as he was excellent at his job and has been for a while.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on November 03, 2017, 11:32:27 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on November 03, 2017, 09:47:25 PM

The GAA have for many years nominated players in positions they haven't played in. e.g. Canavan at CHF at expense of Brian McGuigan in 2005.  That in no way detracts from Colm Cavanagh's award. Well done big man! Tyrone Legend with more to come.

wonder what qualifies as a Tyrone legend?  Frank Mc Guigan, Peter Canavan, Iggy Jones frank Donnelly legends in my eyes! Colm Cavanagh? don't think so.  Played his best football as a spoiler

Conor Gormley ruled out then as well? Do you have to be a forward to be a legend?

vallankumous

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on November 03, 2017, 11:32:27 PM

Can't help but think there's some other reason you think he didn't deserve it.

He's a supper athlete, good luck to him.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: The Trap on November 03, 2017, 08:25:09 PM
Redzone heavily involved in coaching at club level. You might say the players are available for 10 games but you never see them around the club at training so they just come in for games and leave. Unfair on them and the club. If you are a sure starter for the county then brilliant work away. If you are from number 22 up getting little or no game time I don't know what joy there is in it. Even the lads on the panel in 03 05 and 08 who did not get any game time cannot really feel like all ireland winners. So it must be even harder now watching a team getting beat by 20 points in croke park and realising that you are not even close to it!
And I bave seen a few times at close quarters the harm it does to really good club players to get called on to the county panel , used for training games and then sent back to the club after a couple of years.
I am sure it is fantastic for the 20 lads who get regular game time.
When you think about it the lads on the panel from 21 to 35 deserve the most credit.

Your original comment that they'll play in house games all year and won't play for their clubs was wrong. It isn't ideal not being available for the club during the summer but they do get a good run with them in April/May and again come championship.

There is loads of examples to prove being a squad player doesn't have to hold you back with your club. Lee Brennan Rory Brennan and Ritchie Donnelly played a big role in trillick championship win despite limited Tyrone game time. Bradley and Conall McCann played big roles for killyclogher in their championship win despite limited Tyrone time. Same for Meyler with omagh this year. Lee Brennan was the top scorer in division one this year. At intermediate level the pomeroy county lads starred last year despite limited time and harry loughran has delivered for The Moy this year. Ronan McHugh was the second top scorer in division two and had a big part in Aghyaran promotion.

The county lads get access to top training and conditioning and exposure to football at a higher level. It's great outlet for our players to play at the top level. As I said hsmpsey is a good example of someone who had patience last year and pushed this year. I do agree that after a few years if you haven't made it you should consider moving on. But quite often players not playing well being blamed on them being on the county panel is an easy excuse.

It's also good that the our clubs in Tyrone support their players and encourage them to compete st the top level of our games. Seeing players do well at county level can provide a lot of pride for our clubs.

quit yo jibbajabba

A supper athlete. I think ive finally found a phrase thats fits me

vallankumous

The Trap

Lee and Ruari Brennan and Richie Donnelly earned their call outs because they were outstanding for trillick. Have they improved because they went to tyrone training? You could argue they have went backwards especially the Brennan lads.
Take omagh who won the county title. Meyer was very good as he was with st marys but doesnt get a look in. I just can't see Ronan oneill ever being in the condition to start for tyrone and he hasn't made any progress in all his years in the panel. Conor Clarke was ruined by county football. Tierney earned a county call up last time omagh won the championship. Got a few runs and was embarrassed in kerry when left all day on James odonoghue and has not been the same player since. Poor justy stayed one last year and never got a minute and ended up couldn't even make the omagh team through lack of football.
Ronan McHugh Harry Loughran and cahir mccullagh were all in excellent form for the club before they went to county training and I am sure the first 2 especially will stay on as they might get a chance. They have the raw talent so it is up to the county mgmt to bring them on.
In reality though you could say that if fit mcaliskey will take the place of big Sean and the rest will stay more or less the same come the big games next year.
After all a lot of people think tyrone Tyrone were not too far away this year.
And to the reds on here I am just aa much bigger advocate of the club than the county. And that is all clubs. When you look at the most successful club teams like cross slaughtneil and kilcoo they all put club before county. Even in tyrone some of our most successful clubs like clonoe and carrickmore do likewise.
It wasn't always like this for me. When I played in the 80s and 90s our county men trained with us most of the time, even played in challenge games and tournament matches.
Somewhere along the way this has changed and to me that is at the detriment of the game.
And it is only going to get worse next year with the new fixtures schedule and u20s played in the summer.
And redzone if you ever managed a team that had county players at all age levels but not the biggest squad you would be frustrated to.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: The Trap on November 04, 2017, 12:13:52 PM
Lee and Ruari Brennan and Richie Donnelly earned their call outs because they were outstanding for trillick. Have they improved because they went to tyrone training? You could argue they have went backwards especially the Brennan lads.
Take omagh who won the county title. Meyer was very good as he was with st marys but doesnt get a look in. I just can't see Ronan oneill ever being in the condition to start for tyrone and he hasn't made any progress in all his years in the panel. Conor Clarke was ruined by county football. Tierney earned a county call up last time omagh won the championship. Got a few runs and was embarrassed in kerry when left all day on James odonoghue and has not been the same player since. Poor justy stayed one last year and never got a minute and ended up couldn't even make the omagh team through lack of football.
Ronan McHugh Harry Loughran and cahir mccullagh were all in excellent form for the club before they went to county training and I am sure the first 2 especially will stay on as they might get a chance. They have the raw talent so it is up to the county mgmt to bring them on.
In reality though you could say that if fit mcaliskey will take the place of big Sean and the rest will stay more or less the same come the big games next year.
After all a lot of people think tyrone Tyrone were not too far away this year.
And to the reds on here I am just aa much bigger advocate of the club than the county. And that is all clubs. When you look at the most successful club teams like cross slaughtneil and kilcoo they all put club before county. Even in tyrone some of our most successful clubs like clonoe and carrickmore do likewise.
It wasn't always like this for me. When I played in the 80s and 90s our county men trained with us most of the time, even played in challenge games and tournament matches.
Somewhere along the way this has changed and to me that is at the detriment of the game.
And it is only going to get worse next year with the new fixtures schedule and u20s played in the summer.
And redzone if you ever managed a team that had county players at all age levels but not the biggest squad you would be frustrated to.

Conor Clarke was ruined by an injury he sustained during club action and rushing himself back too soon from surgery to play for his club in the Ulster Club.