Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Who are the likely newcomers next year?

With Justy and Sean Cavanagh retiring and McGeary in the England next year you would imagine there will be a few places up for grabs.

Grugan and McLaughlin of Omagh might be brought in. Will Tierney be brought back in?

Of last year's u-21s McKernan is the most likely addition. Ruairi Sludden and Mark Kavanagh would be two more options but they wouldn't really give us anything we don't already have.

I'd imagine we'll see 7 or 8 new faces for the O'Fiach and McKenna Cups. There's a good few lads who have been round a few years now without really making much of an impact and they must be questioning things.

redhandofgod

Brendan Burns? Hardly gave mark Bradley or petey harte a kick in the championship.

The Trap

Why would anyone want to join the panel? Train like hell to get a few minutes in ofiach and McKenna cup and then play in house games for the rest of the year whilst not being able to play for your club.
You will get all the heat though and be able to say you are a county player 

Under Lights

Quote from: Thebigdog on November 03, 2017, 12:21:07 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 02, 2017, 05:11:30 PM
Quote from: ose 14 on November 01, 2017, 10:00:36 PM
so tyrone spend 7.5 million and rising and peter donnelly has to rent a gym in east tyrone as garvaghey isnt fit for purpose. waco

The players will be travelling to Garvaghy plenty in the upcoming months, gym work is probably better done in smaller groups esp at adult level. It's a bit of an ask to get the players to drive up there for a gym session (bearing in mind there'll be no expenses for that). What harm is being done in a local area when it can suit all, as opposed to being in Ballygawley when some can't make it with work or whatever. Harte and Donnelly have been around the block long enough, if someone at that level isn't doing their gym work....it'll be obvious, where it takes place? Largely irrelevant surely.
Gym work? Watching the lads against Dublin, they might as well have been a bunch of fat men in a wheelchair. The real work next year will on Harte s plate not the players.

Fermanagh are using a Tyrone club as their training base for the next while as it is more convenient for their travelling players.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: redhandofgod on November 03, 2017, 09:04:49 AM
Brendan Burns? Hardly gave mark Bradley or petey harte a kick in the championship.

certainly worth a look anyway
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 03, 2017, 08:38:47 AM

With Justy and Sean Cavanagh retiring and McGeary in the England next year you would imagine there will be a few places up for grabs.

Grugan and McLaughlin of Omagh might be brought in. Will Tierney be brought back in?

Of last year's u-21s McKernan is the most likely addition. Ruairi Sludden and Mark Kavanagh would be two more options but they wouldn't really give us anything we don't already have.

I'd imagine we'll see 7 or 8 new faces for the O'Fiach and McKenna Cups. There's a good few lads who have been round a few years now without really making much of an impact and they must be questioning things.

Just on the lads that have been around for awhile to no breakthrough. Would you say that's an issue for them, or the management? I sometimes wonder myself, you'll hear of lads called into the panel now over the next few weeks to train their hearts out over December and January for very little gametime. Always though the more established players in the squad should be exempt from these pre season cups - Aiden McCrory was lifting it last year I think, did he even need to be there?

Onthe40

so who are these players whove been there a while but havent really made it?

Redhand Santa

Quote from: The Trap on November 03, 2017, 10:05:13 AM
Why would anyone want to join the panel? Train like hell to get a few minutes in ofiach and McKenna cup and then play in house games for the rest of the year whilst not being able to play for your club.

Have they brought a new rule in that you can't play for your club? Unless it's changed you can play ten league games for your club plus championship. It didn't do the omagh lads any harm being in the county panel this year, the killyclogher lads last year or the trillick lads the year before.

I don't think a player should hang around for years if they aren't getting game time. But a player in his first year or two has to have patience to get into the team and get up to the speed and physical level of county football. Some people were saying Hampsey should quit last year and he went on to be a star player this year.

I don't know why some of you lads who have no time for the county spend their days crying on here about one thing or another.

Wee Roddy

Mark Kavanagh. I dont think he was guaranteed his place on the Errigal team at the end of the year. Peter Og took his place in the league final did he not and he was replaced in the County Final fairly early in the second half.

youhavenofans

Quote from: Wee Roddy on November 03, 2017, 12:34:05 PM

Mark Kavanagh. I dont think he was guaranteed his place on the Errigal team at the end of the year. Peter Og took his place in the league final did he not and he was replaced in the County Final fairly early in the second half.

took a position that Mark has very little experience playing in (WHB), think most will agree that he is most dangerous when he is nearer the goals. Errigal got away playing him in HB line during the league as teams dropped their half forwards back which gave him the safety to run forward to good effect, but when he was put on the back front to defend, it was something he wasn't use to and therefore acceptably not the best at it.

redzone

Quote from: Redhand Santa on November 03, 2017, 11:15:00 AM

Have they brought a new rule in that you can't play for your club? Unless it's changed you can play ten league games for your club plus championship. It didn't do the omagh lads any harm being in the county panel this year, the killyclogher lads last year or the trillick lads the year before.

I don't think a player should hang around for years if they aren't getting game time. But a player in his first year or two has to have patience to get into the team and get up to the speed and physical level of county football. Some people were saying Hampsey should quit last year and he went on to be a star player this year.

I don't know why some of you lads who have no time for the county spend their days crying on here about one thing or another.

Trap u sound like a man that never kicked a ball. Anyone that did it was there dream to play for the county when they were young and fair play to the few that have lived their dream. Just a negative man.
Fair play big colm cavanagh. If he had of listened to u 5/6 years ago there would be no all star. In fact he would have just give up. I hope ure not involved in coaching

lenny

Quote from: redzone on November 03, 2017, 08:12:54 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on November 03, 2017, 11:15:00 AM

Trap u sound like a man that never kicked a ball. Anyone that did it was there dream to play for the county when they were young and fair play to the few that have lived their dream. Just a negative man.
Fair play big colm cavanagh. If he had of listened to u 5/6 years ago there would be no all star. In fact he would have just give up. I hope ure not involved in coaching

Harte will be furious with him for talking to rte.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 03, 2017, 11:06:04 AM

Just on the lads that have been around for awhile to no breakthrough. Would you say that's an issue for them, or the management? I sometimes wonder myself, you'll hear of lads called into the panel now over the next few weeks to train their hearts out over December and January for very little gametime. Always though the more established players in the squad should be exempt from these pre season cups - Aiden McCrory was lifting it last year I think, did he even need to be there?

Some players have been given chances and not done a lot with them, others less so.

I think Harte should definitely have given a few lads more opportunities in the league but when it comes to Championship it's pretty much as you were. If the team is playing well it picks itself, up until the Dublin game this year, everyone was pretty much justifying their spot.

I think guys like Paudie McNulty, HP McGeary, McShane, R Donnelly, L Brennan etc are a few who haven't really managed to kick on. Now in fairness to Donnelly, he played all the league last year and started Championship but then an injury curtailed him and it was going to be hard for him to break into the side after missing the league with injury. Hopefully he sticks with it this year and gets a clear run. Loughran, Cassidy, McCullagh, McHugh etc should give it another year but if they don't make the breakthrough this year it would be tough for them.

I hope we don't have any cases of players chucking it after the league, if you sign up for the year you should stick it out.

The Trap

Redzone heavily involved in coaching at club level. You might say the players are available for 10 games but you never see them around the club at training so they just come in for games and leave. Unfair on them and the club. If you are a sure starter for the county then brilliant work away. If you are from number 22 up getting little or no game time I don't know what joy there is in it. Even the lads on the panel in 03 05 and 08 who did not get any game time cannot really feel like all ireland winners. So it must be even harder now watching a team getting beat by 20 points in croke park and realising that you are not even close to it!
And I bave seen a few times at close quarters the harm it does to really good club players to get called on to the county panel , used for training games and then sent back to the club after a couple of years.
I am sure it is fantastic for the 20 lads who get regular game time.
When you think about it the lads on the panel from 21 to 35 deserve the most credit.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: The Trap on November 03, 2017, 08:25:09 PM
Redzone heavily involved in coaching at club level. You might say the players are available for 10 games but you never see them around the club at training so they just come in for games and leave. Unfair on them and the club. If you are a sure starter for the county then brilliant work away. If you are from number 22 up getting little or no game time I don't know what joy there is in it. Even the lads on the panel in 03 05 and 08 who did not get any game time cannot really feel like all ireland winners. So it must be even harder now watching a team getting beat by 20 points in croke park and realising that you are not even close to it!
And I bave seen a few times at close quarters the harm it does to really good club players to get called on to the county panel , used for training games and then sent back to the club after a couple of years.
I am sure it is fantastic for the 20 lads who get regular game time.
When you think about it the lads on the panel from 21 to 35 deserve the most credit.

It's tough but these lads exist in every county. It works out for some players, others it doesn't. I guess it really depends how much they want it and whether they can get a break and take it.