Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Man Marker on November 02, 2017, 06:10:18 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 02, 2017, 05:07:53 PM
Quote from: rrhf on November 02, 2017, 04:53:21 PM
You will find Barton will do well at edendork.

Suspect he'll do quite well there myself. As with everything, timing is key. Edendork are quite a young team, are they ready to move up from bottom half of division 1, relatively comfortable existence to become challengers? They have to be looking at Pomeroy and even to a certain extent Trillick and if there's any ambition, to move it on.

As stated earlier, Barton's done a good job at raising a teams standards just before they hit a run of success - that's not an insult, Gilroy done great work with Dublin just before Gavin came in. Obviously a fairly wide comparison but you get the idea.

No I don't get the idea, Gilroy won their first All Ireland since 1995, unlike Barton. U understand how I don't see any comparison at all

Suppose it's better craic to come online and be negative.  :-\

Man Marker

No I am being factual. Gilroy did more 'than Great work' before Gavin. He had built a team that won an All Ireland. Nor am I being negative, there is simply no comparison to be made. This is not anti Barton nor pro Gilroy, just plain facts about Gilroy.

Redhand Santa

Now that for most Clubs the season is over I think it should be said that the fixtures at senior level run a lot smoother this year with regular games and the season finishing up earlier than other years.

It's early but given the master fixtures are out for next year they'll need to start considering next year. It's going to be tougher than this year. Like last year there is a good gap between Tyrone's last league game which is 25th march and first round of Ulster which is 20th May. There is 6 weekends there (assuming don't make the final) to get games played which is a good start to the league.

After that things will be different. Unlike last year were Tyrone had 3 weeks between games allowing a round of fixtures to be played between each Tyrone match this won't happen next year. If they go through Ulster the games will be every two weeks apart from maybe before the quarter final. So they will get two or three less fixtures played. A few fixtures less played can cause a mess at the end of the season once the championship starts.

I don't know what the solution is. If it was me I'd have two double rounds of fixtures early on. Games on a Thursday and a Sunday those weekends. I know midweek isn't ideal for everyone. But if the fixtures were out early in the year and everyone knew the two Thursdays the games were I think there'd be less complaints as people could plan for them. Would definitely be better than teams knocked out of the championship having league games in November.

Tyrone Gaa

Read a tweet last night that Moy have more all star awards (11) than any other Tyrone club and equal Errigal with 4 club members getting all stars. Does this stat show how much the club has underachieved over this past few years? Or as a small club are they punching above their weight. Can't make my mind up. Certainly when they had Mellon, Jordan, the 2 Cavanagh's and maybe even Holmes in the same team for a few years (although Holmes may not have played with Colm).
Living the dream!!!

vallankumous

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on November 04, 2017, 10:32:45 AM
Read a tweet last night that Moy have more all star awards (11) than any other Tyrone club and equal Errigal with 4 club members getting all stars. Does this stat show how much the club has underachieved over this past few years? Or as a small club are they punching above their weight. Can't make my mind up. Certainly when they had Mellon, Jordan, the 2 Cavanagh's and maybe even Holmes in the same team for a few years (although Holmes may not have played with Colm).

Was that not the same time other Tyrone Clubs were picking up All Stars.

longballin

I thought the same. Underachieved imo

Redhand Santa

Would any club in Ulster have more?

LeoMc

Quote from: Redhand Santa on November 04, 2017, 09:56:04 AM
Now that for most Clubs the season is over I think it should be said that the fixtures at senior level run a lot smoother this year with regular games and the season finishing up earlier than other years.

It's early but given the master fixtures are out for next year they'll need to start considering next year. It's going to be tougher than this year. Like last year there is a good gap between Tyrone's last league game which is 25th march and first round of Ulster which is 20th May. There is 6 weekends there (assuming don't make the final) to get games played which is a good start to the league.

After that things will be different. Unlike last year were Tyrone had 3 weeks between games allowing a round of fixtures to be played between each Tyrone match this won't happen next year. If they go through Ulster the games will be every two weeks apart from maybe before the quarter final. So they will get two or three less fixtures played. A few fixtures less played can cause a mess at the end of the season once the championship starts.

I don't know what the solution is. If it was me I'd have two double rounds of fixtures early on. Games on a Thursday and a Sunday those weekends. I know midweek isn't ideal for everyone. But if the fixtures were out early in the year and everyone knew the two Thursdays the games were I think there'd be less complaints as people could plan for them. Would definitely be better than teams knocked out of the championship having league games in November.
Will the earlier completion or exit from the All Ireland series not help giving back a few weeks?

rrhf

Wouldnt disagree with picking a wed/ Thursday and Sunday 2 games over 2 weeks even before the holiday break.  As long as everyone knows soon enough. 

TabClear

Quote from: rrhf on November 06, 2017, 10:37:52 AM
Wouldnt disagree with picking a wed/ Thursday and Sunday 2 games over 2 weeks even before the holiday break.  As long as everyone knows soon enough.

To be fair fixtures this year were pretty good early on with games getting rattled through well until about August. Makes it all the more baffling why the Junior/Intermediate  playoffs are not going to be decided until late November?

Legoman5

Quote from: vallankumous on November 04, 2017, 01:36:54 PM

Was that not the same time other Tyrone Clubs were picking up All Stars.

Its hard to know if they underachieved or not, if you take the 4 best players out of any team then they are going to struggle in games and to be fair they got to a senior semi final a few years ago. Also where these players always giving 100% to the club, only a Moy man can tell you that.
With the named players above at that time you can throw in Rocky O'Neil (Sigerson cup captain), Neil Donaghy (Antrim senior player) and didnt Peter Loughran also play around the time of all these players aswel? McNichcol was a Armagh underage player, they def where doing things right at bringing through quality players

rrhf

Moy are in an ulster semi final now, and they should have done better before, but fair play to them this year they are pointing the right road and nobody could begrudge them it.   

Knock Yer Mucker In

total/massively underachieved for the players they have had, especially at intermediate level. This is the first year they made it count, the senior semi a few years ago was down to a lucky draw.

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: rrhf on November 06, 2017, 12:49:00 PM
Moy are in an ulster semi final now, and they should have done better before, but fair play to them this year they are pointing the right road and nobody could begrudge them it.

Absolutely, I hope Moy can go all the way, the reason for bringing the topic to the forum was a thought I had reading twitter, thinking Moy had some great players and this year is the 1st year they have stood up and been counted, 11 all stars, yes Jordan and Sean Cavanagh account for 9 of these is it but they have had other county representation.  There are greats that missed out (Jordan).  A lot of the other club all stars in Tyrone have Senior championships.

In no way was my question a dig at the club, I wish them every success in Ulster and hope they can push on. 
Living the dream!!!

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on November 06, 2017, 01:01:59 PM

total/massively underachieved for the players they have had, especially at intermediate level. This is the first year they made it count, the senior semi a few years ago was down to a lucky draw.

In making that Senior Semi final in 2013 they Beat Killyclogher (2016 Champions) and Trillick (2015 Champions) so the draw wasn't particularly kind
Living the dream!!!