Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommysmith

Ramor are giving Drumgoon a good beating tonight 3-6 , 0-4 approaching half time.

mylestheslasher

I'm not a big fan of James Reilly for goals (nothing personal, dont know him at all). I also know nothing of his work arrangements but needless to say plenty of lads cant commit to to county because of work so that is just the way it is. If you want to be a county footballer today you need a compatible job.

Anyway for me there are a few problems with him. Firstly one of his biggest strengths was his long kick but in the modern game this isnt so important anymore. Today it is all about getting possession which means you need a good run into space, a plan to make the space and a keeper capable of putting the ball on a sixpence. Reilly never was able to do that and hasn't improved on that front at all. In fact earlier this year I watched the Cavan v Mayo game in Ballina. O Mara was in goals and we got possession from almost all his kick outs. In the 2nd half Reilly went in and banged every kick up the middle a huge distance but everyone of them went to a Mayo man. He also looked overweight and unfit, like a guy who either doesnt train hard enough or doesnt look after himself outside of training.

The big weakness in his game is decision making, when to come and when to stay and this is compounded by a slowness from lack of agility/training. No doubt he is a great shot stopper but that is the least useful of the traits a keeper must have in my opinion. So while he was a good servant over the years, the game has changed and i'm happy with the two lads we have at the moment.

tommysmith

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 11, 2013, 08:18:40 PM
So while he was a good servant over the years, the game has changed and i'm happy with the two lads we have at the moment.
[/b]

I don't think many would disagree.

tommysmith

Hotel Kilmore SFC Result Drumgoon 0-7  Ramor Utd 4-9

boojangles

Goals win games. KBP suits this Ramor team. They use the wings very well and have serious pace throughout the team. Some of Drumgoon's kickouts didn't help the Goonies cause as there seemed to be a lack of plan/communication there but overall Ramor looked a far more dangerous outfit. Jack Brady was involved in most of their good play but he was well backed up by the familiar names such as Anton, Cole, Mc Enroe, Cadden, Fitzsimons, Barkey, Connolly etc. Daragh Sheridan, a name I'm not familiar with had a fine game at wing back also. A much tougher test awaits Ramor in the next round.
Drumgoon play Lacken now I believe? A winnable game for either team.

rodney trotter

Ramor have a very solid team. They looked a lot more impressive then Cavan Gaels did against Lacken. Couple of late goals for the Gaels was the difference after lacken got a player sent off.
Drumgoon play Lacken in the back door.

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 12, 2013, 05:49:43 PM
Ramor have a very solid team. They looked a lot more impressive then Cavan Gaels did against Lacken. Couple of late goals for the Gaels was the difference after lacken got a player sent off.
Drumgoon play Lacken in the back door.

And the winner then plays Cavan Gaels i believe.

rodney trotter

Yeah that was genius thinking by the County Board ^

mylestheslasher

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 12, 2013, 09:43:16 PM

Is it not a draw or do the county board decide who plays who??

tommysmith

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 12, 2013, 10:53:13 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on August 12, 2013, 09:43:16 PM

Is it not a draw or do the county board decide who plays who??

Its a draw.

rodney trotter

That was known when the draw made back in March /April. Whoever lost in the premliminary game would be facing the loser of Drumgoon/ Ramor and then face the winner of the premliminary game in the first round. That's why both Cavan Gaels and Lacken were unhappy at the time.

cavan4sam

This weekends fixtures

Senior

16.08.13 (Fri)
Round 1

CASTLERAHAN GAA V REDHILLS

Time: 7 30 PM (E.T. Available) , Venue: Lavey GAA Grounds

Referee: Margaret Farrelly

Round 1

BALLINAGH V DRUMALEE

Time: 8 00 PM (E.T. Available) , Venue: Kingspan Breffni Pk

Referee: Chris Mc Caffrey

17.08.13 (Sat)
Prelim Rd Game C

LACKEN GAA V DRUMGOON

Time: 5 00 PM , Venue: Ramor United Park

Referee: Chris Mc Caffrey

Round 1

GOWNA V KINGSCOURT

Time: 7 00 PM (E.T. Available) , Venue: Ramor United Park

Referee: TBC

Round 1

CROSSERLOUGH/CROIS AR LOCH V LAVEY

Time: 8 00 PM (E.T. Available) , Venue: Kingspan Breffni Pk

Referee: Mg Brady Ref

18.08.13 (Sun)
Round 1

KILLYGARRY GAA CLUB/CLG COILL AN GHARRAÍ V DENN

Time: 2 00 PM (E.T. Available) , Venue: Kingspan Breffni Pk

Referee: Raymond Kelly

Round 1

CÚCHULAINNS V BELTURBET

Time: 3 30 PM (E.T. Available) , Venue: Kingspan Breffni Pk

Referee: Martin Sexton

Round 1

RAMOR UNITED V MULLAHORAN

Time: 7 00 PM (E.T. Available) , Venue: Kingspan Breffni Pk

Referee: Noel Mooney

Intermediate

16.08.13 (Fri)
Round 1

DRUMLANE V BALLYMACHUGH

Time: 8 00 PM (E.T. Available) , Venue: St. Aidan's Park

Referee: Ollie Donohoe Ref

Round 1

BAILIEBOROUGH V COOTEHILL CELTIC GAA

Time: 8 00 PM (E.T. Available) , Venue: O Reilly Park

Referee: Oliver Óg O Reilly

17.08.13 (Sat)
Round 1

KILLINKERE GAA V BALLYHAISE

Time: 7 00 PM (E.T. Available) , Venue: Hugh O Reilly Memorial Park

Round 1

KILLESHANDRA V BUTLERSBRIDGE

Time: 7 00 PM (E.T. Available) , Venue: Ballinagh GAA Grounds

Round 1

ST MARY'S GAA, SWANLINBAR V LARAGH UTD

Time: 7 00 PM (E.T. Available) , Venue: Ballyconnell

Referee: Tony Gregory

Junior

18.08.13 (Sun)
Round 3

ARVA V MAGHERA MACFINNS GFC/AN MACHAIRE

Time: 2 30 PM , Venue: Sheelin Park

Referee: Padraig Sheirdan

Round 3

CORLOUGH V KILDALLAN G.A.A. CLUB

Time: 2 30 PM , Venue: Pairc Gael na Sionnainne

Referee: John Cassidy

18.08.13 (Sun)
Round 3

TEMPLEPORT ST. AIDAN'S GAA V KILL

Time: 2 30 PM , Venue: Max McGrath Memorial Park

Referee: Ollie Donohoe Ref

17.08.13 (Sat)
Round 3

KNOCKBRIDE GAA CLUB V SHANNON GAELS

Time: 5 30 PM , Venue: Ballyconnell

Referee: Padraig Kellegher

Any predictions for these games lads?

comeysfield

I will now make my Annual Killinkere will win the Intermediate Championship prediction. Please treat this with respect.

But, seriously have a dark suspicion that Bailieborough the way they setup and play ala Donegal year 1 could be a huge threat to Killeshandra and Cootehill. Not very nice to watch but with Argue playing well they could sneak it. Will not say anything about Ballyhaise as inevitably they will be put to sword by us rural red neck types on Saturday night they do have  the potential to win it but obviously will have to do this via the backdoor method.  Note: Our result vs Killeshandra in the league we just did that for the fun of it  :o

Think Lavey or Ramor could feck somebody in the Senior Championship this year but is the Gaels to win again which is very boring. Just think Kingscourt do not have enough depth  to really challenge.

Junior champ think Kill went down for a reason so giving them the Nod but Shannon Gaels play a nice brand of football and will trouble everybody if O'Donnell gets back for them then I would place them second favorite Arva are not there yet but could make a final

Mystic Meg over

rodney trotter

Alan O'Mare joining Nesty Smith, Michael Brides and co at St Oliver Plunketts. http://www.hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=198722

mylestheslasher

Good luck to him. Since B'boro have 3 good keepers (at least), makes sense that they are all getting football at a decent level somewhere.