Murder of Fr Niall Molloy

Started by macdanger2, August 22, 2013, 02:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Heard Gemma O'Doherty on Radio 1 this evening on about this and how the DPP have decided not to press charges after there was a review of the case over the past couple of years. She made it sound like the dogs on the street around that area know what happened.

Sounds like there's a whole can of worms here - police investigation apparently substandard, politician allegedly present on the night, the judge who heard the manslaughter knew the defendant, paintings / horse going missing afterwards. Just another case of those in the inner circle being protected? Or what's the craic with it? It's not everyday a priest is murdered, you'd have thought there would have been some sort of outcry from the Church?

Syferus

Everyone has known for years what happened, yeah. It's an oozing, open sore here. It is very literally unbelievable how they got away with it given the mountain of evidence against them.

http://frniallmolloy.com/

Shamrock Shore

I only heard whispers but afaik Father A was having it off with Mrs B. Mr B didn't like this and then the row started. Not aware of missing horses, politicians etc.

Am I off the mark here?

Rossfan

The rich well heeled horsy set looking after each other - and of course being in a position to do so.
Usual type of stuff.
As far as I recall MrsB lost her memory in the Court case held before a horsy set Judge.
Could the family now take a civil case - if there's anyone left against which to take it??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on August 22, 2013, 10:47:40 AM
The rich well heeled horsy set looking after each other - and of course being in a position to do so.
Usual type of stuff.
As far as I recall MrsB lost her memory in the Court case held before a horsy set Judge.
Could the family now take a civil case - if there's anyone left against which to take it??
I think what happened here was Mrs B was not obliged to give evidence against Mr B as married partners were  (are?) not obliged to do so by law.
Her lawyer claimed her legal right to refuse to answer questions and the judge accepted this.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

orangeman

Quote from: Orior on August 22, 2013, 11:59:49 AM
This story reminds me the The Thorn Birds

Didn't the church authorities denounce the showing of this programme from the pulpits back in the day ?

Thorn Birds was mild compared to the stuff that's on tv now.

Bord na Mona man

I doubt there is much substance behind the affair rumour. The evidence points towards a business dispute of sorts.

The Flynns were struggling to pay the bills for their lifestyle and this was putting pressure on some of the joint ventures they had with Fr Molloy - horses and land.

I would be surprised if the truth of this case ever came out (at official level anyway).
A lot of people would be come out of it red-faced. First and foremost are the people who were on the premises when the incident happened. They opted to get out of dodge and flee the scene.
Locally, there would have been a lot of them spotted doing this. This also was a driver for the time of death needing to be pushed forward as part of the cooked up cover story.

Much of the non-investigation and bogus trial were driven by this IMO.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 22, 2013, 02:30:12 AM
Sounds like there's a whole can of worms here - police investigation apparently substandard, politician allegedly present on the night.
Brian Lenihan Snr was the famous politican that often gets alluded to.

Orior

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on August 22, 2013, 02:05:40 PM
I doubt there is much substance behind the affair rumour. The evidence points towards a business dispute of sorts.

The Flynns were struggling to pay the bills for their lifestyle and this was putting pressure on some of the joint ventures they had with Fr Molloy - horses and land.

I would be surprised if the truth of this case ever came out (at official level anyway).
A lot of people would be come out of it red-faced. First and foremost are the people who were on the premises when the incident happened. They opted to get out of dodge and flee the scene.
Locally, there would have been a lot of them spotted doing this. This also was a driver for the time of death needing to be pushed forward as part of the cooked up cover story.

A hierarchy of victims comes to mind. Why does Fr Molloy and his family not deserve the same level of investigation as would happen elsewhere?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Orior on August 22, 2013, 02:16:43 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on August 22, 2013, 02:05:40 PM

A hierarchy of victims comes to mind. Why does Fr Molloy and his family not deserve the same level of investigation as would happen elsewhere?

In the hierarchy of victims, an innocent priest (especially in the 80s) would have been near the top.
The hierarchy of the various organisations and individuals complicit is the bigger story here...

deiseach

A whiff of the Missing Postman here. CSI is all well and good, but if people stick together and don't allow any cracks in their alibi the chances are they'll get away with it. If the initial investigation is compromised, you can forget about it.

boojangles

Gene Kerrigan covers this case in his book Hard Cases. A complete cover up happened including the theft of files from the office of the DPP, allegedly by a major Dublin criminal. These files were supposed to have included letters from Judge Frank Roe explaining his decision to the DPP. This file was one of the matters with which Veronica Guerin was concerned in her investigation of major criminals before she was shot dead in June 1996.

Syferus

Quote from: boojangles on August 22, 2013, 06:47:46 PM
Gene Kerrigan covers this case in his book Hard Cases. A complete cover up happened including the theft of files from the office of the DPP, allegedly by a major Dublin criminal. These files were supposed to have included letters from Judge Frank Roe explaining his decision to the DPP. This file was one of the matters with which Veronica Guerin was concerned in her investigation of major criminals before she was shot dead in June 1996.

Bold ould Martin Cahill, the fella with the silly nickname.

This was the letter Mrs. Flynn sent to a life insurance company a month after Fr. Molloy's murder:

Puckoon

Quote from: deiseach on August 22, 2013, 02:54:45 PM
A whiff of the Missing Postman here. CSI is all well and good, but if people stick together and don't allow any cracks in their alibi the chances are they'll get away with it. If the initial investigation is compromised, you can forget about it.

I enjoyed that, thanks.