1984 Free State papers

Started by seafoid, December 29, 2014, 08:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

It's sad to read this and think of all the people who were killed in the North between 1984 and the ceasefires 

http://www.irishtimes.com/state-papers-fitzgerald-criticised-thatcher-s-rejection-of-new-ireland-forum-report-1.2042568?page=2
"Dorr had his own concerns about Thatcher's level of knowledge on Northern Ireland and discussed her frankly with a key British negotiator David Goodall on December 7th.He had been reading the account of Thatcher's contribution at the Chequers summit and was especially struck by her "incomprehension" on why the minority in Northern Ireland "required special political arrangements" compared with other European minorities. This seemed to Dorr to raise "a serious worry about a very basic lack of understanding of the nature of the problem".
Admitting that Irish politicians and officials had a tendency to delve back into history to too great an extent, he complained "she seemed to have no comprehension at all of the historic dimension of the problem" and without such a sense, "it was difficult to see how she could bring herself or be brought to agree to the fairly substantial measures that were necessary to address it"."

Thatcher wasted so much time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Cmzvt549Y

ONeill

...and you're only seeing the documents they think are tame....
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

If the DUP had any shame there would be a few members today with a red face. Looking at you Peter, Gregory, Willie and Jim.

Rossfan

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 29, 2014, 08:52:34 PM
If the DUP had any shame there would be a few members today with a red face. Looking at you Peter, Gregory, Willie and Jim.

That unfortunately is the most unlikely if of all time. :(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rossfan on December 29, 2014, 10:05:14 PM

I would say their feelings haven't changed in the intervening 30 years, which speaks volimes about the voting public.

seafoid

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 29, 2014, 10:59:16 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 29, 2014, 10:05:14 PM

I would say their feelings haven't changed in the intervening 30 years, which speaks volimes about the voting public.
Robinson and co took power by becoming more extremist. Paisley was the inspiration.
I wonder what Terence O'Neill would make of unionism now.