Old building Renovation

Started by rosnarun, February 18, 2013, 02:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Am Thinking of buying an old house which needs major renovation . Is it worthwhile Getting my own quanity surveyor to price it first or should I jst get builders quotes .
I'm afraid a builder will Expect me to point out every thing that has to be done and them hit me for all the thing i never realised were need it .
Or is ther some other type of professional adver  i should be looking for other than QS?
All advise appreciated.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Canalman

Get a proper survey by an Engineer (properly qualified) first. QSs and Architects etc can follow. Do not and I repeat do not scrimp on this survey. He/she should be able to advise roughly on the costs to renovate.

"Builders Quotes" at this stage................ fuggedaboutit.

rosnarun

are they called a building engineer or do they have a fancier title . what how do you know if they are Properly qualified  is it 'Chartered' i should be looking for
Got a drive by estimeate from a builder for 200K. be intersting to see the difference

trileacman

How old and how "major"? I wouldn't be too pushed on the advice of some pencil pusher, you'd be as well talking to a few lads you know in the trade and hear what they have to say, no one person will be right and all will tell you something important (along with some total shite). There are corners you can cut here and there and some major difficulties you should be warned about, the worst thing you could do is rely on the opinion of an "expert" because they spent 4 years on the piss in Jordanstown. Get a few opinions on the job, you don't necessarily have to pay for them. Friends/family/colleagues you soon sort the bullshiters from the lads who know their stuff and the info that keeps coming up again and again is the stuff that is important.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Hereiam

rosnarun what part of the country are you in. The first port of call is to a good architect who will be able to do a good survey of the building and tell you approx what money you would be looking at. If you r in the north PM me and I can help you out.

rosnarun

house is about 100 years old , a mate who is a builder (a proper one not a Celtic tiger one . who has restored before ). reckons no major dampness and roof is fine so youd be talking rewiring replumbing heating new windows ,insulation complete redecoration minimum plus all the things im not aware of .
it a largish period house about .330SQm so i want to get my sums right before i start pouring money into it.
location is offaly

Never beat the deeler

Get Granstone in. They'll sort it!
Hasta la victoria siempre

the Deel Rover

You would want to be getting the house for next to nothing Ros. 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Tony Baloney

Don't underestimate the price of windows in a period house, especially if required to fit new oak sash windows.

Lar Naparka

When you take into account the amount of money that the renovation is going to cost you, it might be wise to hire an architect to carry out a survey.
Getting a friend to give the place a once over is all very well but you have no comeback if it turns out that he missed something.
I'd pay for professional advice from someone who is prepared to stand over his report if I were you.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

rosnarun

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on February 19, 2013, 07:45:25 AM
Get Granstone in. They'll sort it!
Reckon i could get a good discount there., we've stored the Raw materials long enough :)
The building it self is going cheap enough but done properly you'd really have something, room for a pony too. less than the price of a 3 bed semi in the area
Getting an engineer in to look at it saturday. after that it piss or get off the pot time.

Canalman

Insist he/she has a look at the septic tank . Very easy to get hit with a E10,000/ 15,000 bill to replace one ........... even more if asbestos involved.

Lar Naparka's advice is on the button.

All of a Sludden

I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.