FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 22, 2018, 03:32:32 PM
Seems we're getting Mick McCarthy back.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/mick-mccarthy-roy-keanes-the-only-assistant-manager-who-gets-this-much-publicity-its-bonkers-37342647.html

There was some suggestion, that Roy made, that I couldn't manage the team or players," said McCarthy.
"I'd managed him for five years, I f**king spun his plate, I kept him going. 'Roy, don't come in on Monday. We played Saturday, you come in Tuesday', so he'd come in on the Tuesday and then just go home
When it happened, 16 years ago, I said at the time, one day I'll be walking down the street in Barnsley, a flat cap on, ferret in my pocket, Jack Russel dog by the side of me, and someone will say 'There's that bollocks who sent Roy Keane home'. And it's pretty much turning out to be true, that, 16 years on.
All the people who paid their money and wanted to go to the World Cup and wanted to see Roy there, as one of the best players – and, by the way, I wanted him there as much as anyone else did – but that relationship got broken."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

clarshack

Beggars belief that folk are still touting Mick McCarthy for Manager.

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/1122/1012595-fai-to-blame-for-state-of-irish-soccer-says-brady/

Brady has a degree of sympathy for O'Neill and believes that the problems in Irish soccer go deeper than just the manager, blaming the FAI for a lack of foresight and investment in the future of the game in the country.

peaking to RTÉ Sport, Brady questioned the work of the FAI's high performance director Ruud Dokter and his predecessor Wim Koevermans, while criticising their lack of desire to involve former Irish players.
"What worries me above anything else is the lack of players we have coming through," he said. "I'm no expert in that regard with the FAI but I know whatever has gone on hasn't worked.
"We're simply not seeing the talent that we once had in the years gone past. The likes of Damien Duff, Robbie Keane, Richard Dunne and Shay Given – all top class players. We haven't replaced them with anybody of the same quality.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

No, it was just he managers fault, the players are there apparently!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Applesisapples

Martin O'Neill proved over the years that he was a good manager. His reign had as many highs as it had lows. The problems endemic in Irish soccer are not unique to Ireland. Wales, Scotland and OWC face similar issues. On the plus side for Scotland they have a relatively strong domestic league, albeit like the premier league they have too many foreign players, but it is still an outlet for scottish players. In fact in Celtic's last game in Europe the stand out players on the night, McGregor, Tierney and Christie are all Scots. The strength of the premier league dominated by foreign players has led to a lack of opportunity and development for players from these Islands. Michael O'Neill's article in the IT articulted this better than I could. He also cited the growth of GAA and Rugby as alternative sports in Ireland. The answer for both parts of this Island is a strong All Island domestic league to begin with. I would not suggest an all island team as that would be virtually impossible to sell to OWC's knuckle dragging support. It also will need greater investment. Rugby's success has come on the back of attracting sponsorship and teams that attract support from a wider base, look at the numbers of diehard GAA people support the provinces who haven't laid a hand on the oval ball. The question is, is it too late?

mouview

If he signs today, does he come with a Black Friday discount?

AZOffaly

Quote from: mouview on November 23, 2018, 01:09:34 PM

You get a free Bacon Slicer.

BennyCake

Quote from: mouview on November 23, 2018, 01:09:34 PM

The squad will get a free set of training bibs. Probably the same ones that got lost in 2002.

Capt Pat

It looks like it is confirmed, McCarthy is back according to the RTE web site. It looks like he was lined up before O'Neill was out the door. I would have preferred if they had taken their time with the selection process and interviewed some high profile candidates before selecting whoever they wanted. But it looks like money was a key consideration in selecting McCarthy.

I like him and I wish him the best but heading into the qualifying for the last successful world cup qualifying he had Roy Keane, Damien Duff, Robbie Keane, Richard Dunne, Shay Given, Steve Staunton, and other premier league players. He will have nothing like that in his next qualifying campaign.

BennyCake

Oh dear. I thought you had some sense, Mick.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: BennyCake on November 24, 2018, 12:48:21 AM
He has plenty of sense, the money he will get off the Irish FA will be far greater than what he got from Wolverhampton Wanderers,Ipswich Town,Sunderland. A nice retirement package you can call it.

Applesisapples

Well Big Joe;s second coming with Armagh worked out well, so who knows.

BennyCake

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 24, 2018, 09:27:05 AM
Well Big Joe;s second coming with Armagh worked out well, so who knows.

Joe was coming into a far different setup than Mick is.

From the Bunker

Quote from: BennyCake on November 24, 2018, 12:48:21 AM

He has nothing to lose. He's not trying to build up a his reputation as a Manager at this stage. He is on good money and International Football suits an older Manager as a lot of your time is free time as games only come in pockets during the year. He knows the Irish international setup and how it works. Expectations are at the lowest in years.  This will take the pressure of initially. If he fails the ''Sure we don't have the players line will be rolled out''!

Despite what people think. Marin O'Neill did quiet well during his tenure. Just the slide toward the end was ''Tsunami' like. Between results, style of play, leaked stuff, player management with Arthur and Rice.