FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 21, 2018, 01:07:32 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 21, 2018, 10:46:04 AM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on November 21, 2018, 10:28:26 AM
O'Neill and Keane are gone  :-[

If the problem is the system it won't make any difference.
The FAI missed the boat on the development of young players and this is now a problem at senior level
It is not easy to fix. Mick O'Dowd said the Meath manager after the next one might start winning. Maybe it's like that. 

Losing attitudes are insidious. You have to drop people even if they have loads of experience when they have no belief. You have to build it in young players.
Ireland are disorganised and will be playing teams who aren't. It takes time for young lads to build experience. Kilkenny are learning that now.
Fan expectations are not realistic.

Look at how well the rugby team is doing but that took years to get right. 

If you look at Dunphy analysing the manager after the honeymoon period in videos going back to Staunton there is a constant theme.
I don't think it's been about the manager for the last 14 years.

I have an issue with the sentence in BOLD, it is simply not true.  Our underage teams are doing well, even more so since the implementation of the player development plan (PDP).  Last week, our u18s in an invitational tournament in Spain beat both Belgium and Holland, and lost unluckily to England after leading for most of the match.  The issue is that there's no connect (in the lifetime of O'Neill & Keane) between the underage structures and the senior 'structure', though I understand that there has been an appointment made in the last few weeks whose purpose is to introduce the appropriate players from the underage system into the senior system.  That has to be a positive development.

There's only so much you can do at international level in terms of development, are these youngsters playing at a good level for their clubs to warrant being called up?

BennyCake

Quote from: themac_23 on November 21, 2018, 01:21:10 PM
Id actually like to see Gordon Strachan in, done pretty well with a limited Scotland squad, failed to get them over the line then got hounded, 2 games after he was gone the Scotland fans were nearly falling over themselves admitting they made a mistake. Strachan is very good at getting results, i look at the celtic team he got to the last 16 of the champions league, good keeper strong but limited CB pairing and players with a lot of work rate. i think he'd do a good job

Wasn't really paying attention to what Strachan did with Scotland, but he did very well at Celtic. They were stupid to get rid of him. And who did they replace him with? Tony Mowbray. Sweet Jaysus!

trailer

Quote from: themac_23 on November 21, 2018, 01:21:10 PM
Id actually like to see Gordon Strachan in, done pretty well with a limited Scotland squad, failed to get them over the line then got hounded, 2 games after he was gone the Scotland fans were nearly falling over themselves admitting they made a mistake. Strachan is very good at getting results, i look at the celtic team he got to the last 16 of the champions league, good keeper strong but limited CB pairing and players with a lot of work rate. i think he'd do a good job

f**k me, I'm no fan of Soccer but I don't think I hate them as much as this guy.

Dire Ear

north_antrim_hound

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Cunny Funt

Chris Hughton is a future Irish manager if we ever get a decent panel of players together again but for now the FAI will likely go back to Mick McCarty who had the likes of Shay Given,Gary Kelly,Ian Harte,Damien Duff,Robbie Keane and John O'Shea on his team when manager the last time all decent Premier league quality players and now he would have Seamus Coleman and pile of EPL championship quality players.

seafoid

The FAI missed the boat on the development of young players and this is now a problem at senior level
It is not easy to fix. Mick O'Dowd said the Meath manager after the next one might start winning. Maybe it's like that. 

Losing attitudes are insidious. You have to drop people even if they have loads of experience when they have no belief. You have to build it in young players.
Ireland are disorganised and will be playing teams who aren't. It takes time for young lads to build experience. Kilkenny are learning that now.

If you look at Dunphy analysing the manager after the honeymoon period in videos going back to Staunton there is a constant theme.

I have an issue with the sentence in BOLD, it is simply not true.  Our underage teams are doing well, even more so since the implementation of the player development plan (PDP).  Last week, our u18s in an invitational tournament in Spain beat both Belgium and Holland, and lost unluckily to England after leading for most of the match.  The issue is that there's no connect (in the lifetime of O'Neill & Keane) between the underage structures and the senior 'structure', though I understand that there has been an appointment made in the last few weeks whose purpose is to introduce the appropriate players from the underage system into the senior system.  That has to be a positive development.
They did miss the boat Billy. Maybe they are catching up now but they were too slow.
I know what it's from other sports when you get left behind and have to stop the rot. It is not easy.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

macdanger2

Would like to see Kenny given a chance, Dundalk play decent football even in Europe when playing against stronger sides

shark

Quote from: seafoid on November 21, 2018, 02:38:29 PM

They did miss the boat Billy. Maybe they are catching up now but they were too slow.
I know what it's from other sports when you get left behind and have to stop the rot. It is not easy.

There are clear signs of progress though. At least some glimmer of hope for the future.

easytiger95

Given the job Michael O'Neill has done with Norn Iron coming from the LOI, it would be ridiculous to look past Kenny. He has a philosophy of playing which he implements wherever he goes, and tries to improve players to fit that style of play - rather than just shrugging his shoulders, saying we're crap and resorting to hoofing it - a la trap and the last days of Martin O'Neill.

No1

QuoteId actually like to see Gordon Strachan in, done pretty well with a limited Scotland squad, failed to get them over the line then got hounded, 2 games after he was gone the Scotland fans were nearly falling over themselves admitting they made a mistake. Strachan is very good at getting results, i look at the celtic team he got to the last 16 of the champions league, good keeper strong but limited CB pairing and players with a lot of work rate. i think he'd do a good job

I hope to f**k this does not happen, an atrocious manager.  Just ask any Coventry, Middlesbrough or Scotland fan.

QuoteWell thats it solved, get the managers out and then the results will change... So who will get the blame when the results stay the same? The FAI no doubt as they will have appointed said person, the problem is not the managers and their sidekicks, the problem is a shit squad of players..

Now there are managers who, with a limited squad did actually make teams perform above their station and believe it or not, MON was one of those managers.. Big Sam lined up 

Do you think the two boys should have carried on?

lurganblue

Quote from: No1 on November 21, 2018, 03:16:17 PM
QuoteId actually like to see Gordon Strachan in, done pretty well with a limited Scotland squad, failed to get them over the line then got hounded, 2 games after he was gone the Scotland fans were nearly falling over themselves admitting they made a mistake. Strachan is very good at getting results, i look at the celtic team he got to the last 16 of the champions league, good keeper strong but limited CB pairing and players with a lot of work rate. i think he'd do a good job

I hope to f**k this does not happen, an atrocious manager.  Just ask any Coventry, Middlesbrough or Scotland fan.

QuoteWell thats it solved, get the managers out and then the results will change... So who will get the blame when the results stay the same? The FAI no doubt as they will have appointed said person, the problem is not the managers and their sidekicks, the problem is a shit squad of players..

Now there are managers who, with a limited squad did actually make teams perform above their station and believe it or not, MON was one of those managers.. Big Sam lined up 

Jobs for the old guard should be discarded as a way of thinking. No to McCarthy, Big Sam, Wee Gordon, Pardew, Bruce etc. 

Itchy

No one on here believes Ireland have great players but do we have players good enough, for example, to threaten the defence of N Ireland. N Ireland should have scored 3 and their two forwards are playing in League 1. We have as poor a squad as we ever had but for god sake we still have player to be a relatively solid 3rd tier team at the moment.

themac_23

Quote from: lurganblue on November 21, 2018, 04:40:06 PM
Quote from: No1 on November 21, 2018, 03:16:17 PM

Jobs for the old guard should be discarded as a way of thinking. No to McCarthy, Big Sam, Wee Gordon, Pardew, Bruce etc.

Sometimes a bit of experience is hard to beat, especially given that our squad is/will be pretty inexperienced come the next round of qualifiers.

trailer

Quote from: Itchy on November 21, 2018, 04:54:20 PM
No one on here believes Ireland have great players but do we have players good enough, for example, to threaten the defence of N Ireland. N Ireland should have scored 3 and their two forwards are playing in League 1. We have as poor a squad as we ever had but for god sake we still have player to be a relatively solid 3rd tier team at the moment.

Who are these players? Granted this last while I've watched very little of the ROI but Shane Long, O'Dowda, O'Brien are not these players.
MON & Keane did a wonderful job. They constantly over achieved. They will be very hard acts to follow. FAI should consider a statue in honour.