Soccer child abuse scandals

Started by Milltown Row2, November 30, 2016, 01:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Surprised it hasnt be brought to light by the usual thread starters.. Seems more and more clubs have had a history of this and Chelsea only recently 'paid off' and person who was abused while at their club...

Will our local clubs soccer/rugby/GAA be looking into their own affairs? We have excellent child protection courses but how many are vetted properly ?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Eric Bristow lost his job over some inappropriate tweets

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

stew

Quote from: seafoid on November 30, 2016, 01:09:19 PM

I think that is ridiculous, he stated it badly, very badly but I get that if it had been him as soon as he got strong enough to hammer the head of the f**ker he would have, that said he has no idea what the players went through since he was never abused.

A suspension would have been appropriate, taking away his job to me is harsh and s,acks of political correctness, that said, he might want to think about what he is saying going forward.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AZOffaly

Quote from: stew on November 30, 2016, 01:21:37 PM

I think that is ridiculous, he stated it badly, very badly but I get that if it had been him as soon as he got strong enough to hammer the head of the f**ker he would have, that said he has no idea what the players went through since he was never abused.

A suspension would have been appropriate, taking away his job to me is harsh and s,acks of political correctness, that said, he might want to think about what he is saying going forward.

Ah here stew. Bristow went beyond the pale altogether, and it wasn't just one tweet.It was more than political correctness.

ludermor

And it wasnt just about sorting out his abuser, he called the abusers 'poofs' so saying that Pedophiles and homosexuals are the same thing. 

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 30, 2016, 01:05:40 PM
Surprised it hasnt be brought to light by the usual thread starters.. Seems more and more clubs have had a history of this and Chelsea only recently 'paid off' and person who was abused while at their club...

Will our local clubs soccer/rugby/GAA be looking into their own affairs? We have excellent child protection courses but how many are vetted properly ?

How many young lads from here were scouted, sent over to live with someone or other in England or Scotland and no one thought twice about it?

Does that still happen or are these academies run differently now?

At the same time it will be interesting how the clubs and the various football associations respond as there's already snippets in the press of clubs being informed of certain misgivings about some adults involved with youth coaching and allegedly a blind eye being turned.

The GAA are making all the right noises and hopefully there's nothing covered up, but you never know, was Mick Feeney a one off??

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnneycool on November 30, 2016, 01:45:18 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 30, 2016, 01:05:40 PM

How many young lads from here were scouted, sent over to live with someone or other in England or Scotland and no one thought twice about it?

Does that still happen or are these academies run differently now?

At the same time it will be interesting how the clubs and the various football associations respond as there's already snippets in the press of clubs being informed of certain misgivings about some adults involved with youth coaching and allegedly a blind eye being turned.

The GAA are making all the right noises and hopefully there's nothing covered up, but you never know, was Mick Feeney a one off??

I'd say there are more lads than ever going over to England on trials now, given the FAI emerging talent programme, and the greater exposure they get. It's no longer just Dublin lads and the exceptional culchies, now there's trips to Forest, Villa, Leicester etc etc for the entire Kennedy Cup squads from places like Kerry Tipp and Mayo.

Take Your Points

I think the media, in particular the BBC, was wrong in how they used the victims.  There were many ways to bring the story forward which allowed it to be told by the victims while relinquishing their anonymity but lining them up on the Victoria Derbyshire programme and having the presenter probe them on their abuse couldn't have been doing them any good.  It was Jeremy Kyle type TV by BBC.  These poor individuals have suffered for many years but drawing out their experiences on live TV not right.

Bristow is just exposing his own limited intelligence and should have been starved of publicity instead of doing the rounds of studios.  However, he is a reflection of a section of society. His agent asked the BBC for £5000 + VAT for an interview on the Today programme but was declined.  Were other organisations who had him on TV as discerning? 

stew

Quote from: ludermor on November 30, 2016, 01:33:12 PM

And it wasnt just about sorting out his abuser, he called the abusers 'poofs' so saying that Pedophiles and homosexuals are the same thing.

He is ignorant alright but I really do not think he intentionally meant to be cruel or cause emotional harm to the footballers, he was simply an ignoramus who voiced his opinion when he should have kept him mouth shut!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

muppet

Quote from: stew on November 30, 2016, 02:03:52 PM
Quote from: ludermor on November 30, 2016, 01:33:12 PM

He is ignorant alright but I really do not think he intentionally meant to be cruel or cause emotional harm to the footballers, he was simply an ignoramus who voiced his opinion when he should have kept him mouth shut!

I would agree with this. The problem is that celebrity gives idiots a certain gravitas with some people.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Yes, but it's not political correctness to sack him. He is in a public position, as Sky Sports commentator, and he made several stupid comments about a very serious subject. It's not surprising they pulled the trigger.

If they were black players and used racist terms, repeatedly, to describe them, he'd get the bullet too.

Ron Atkinson, who got fired by ITV I think, after calling Marcel Desailly a lazy ni**er, or something like that, could probably claim he made a stupid, one off, mistake and plead for mercy. If he did the same thing several times, he couldn't.

seafoid

Social media is v dangerous. If Bristow had sais sum fink to his mates about poofters he would still have the job.

No wides

Quote from: seafoid on November 30, 2016, 03:24:49 PM
Social media is v dangerous. If Bristow had sais sum fink to his mates about poofters he would still have the job.

I knew it, you are 16 just waiting for a job!

seafoid

Quote from: No wides on November 30, 2016, 03:40:04 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 30, 2016, 03:24:49 PM

I knew it, you are 16 just waiting for a job!
I just made my communion but I am very precocious

bennydorano

A big can of worms opened you'd imagine. Underage football (all codes) is bound to have been a magnet for Peadophiles.

Scouts another likely area.