Who will win the 2024 Ulster title

Donegal
27 (56.3%)
Armagh
21 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: April 27, 2024, 08:54:31 PM

Derryman forever

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 04, 2024, 08:50:50 PMDon't know why but I've a funny feeling Monaghan could catch Derry if they meet. Fair chance Monaghan don't make it that far and of course Tyrone will always have a say in things. Looking forward to it anyway!

Sure Donegal are going to catch them first.

imtommygunn

Donegal or no one. You do wonder if there's a sting in Tyrone.

bennydorano

Don't expect Derry to win Ulster, no idea who will tho.

Armagh18

Quote from: Derryman forever on April 04, 2024, 09:52:04 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on April 04, 2024, 08:50:50 PMDon't know why but I've a funny feeling Monaghan could catch Derry if they meet. Fair chance Monaghan don't make it that far and of course Tyrone will always have a say in things. Looking forward to it anyway!

Probably wishful thinking. Fair play to Derry they look miles ahead of the rest of Ulster at this stage although it's only the league so far.

JoG2

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 04, 2024, 10:06:24 PM
Quote from: Derryman forever on April 04, 2024, 09:52:04 PM

Probably wishful thinking. Fair play to Derry they look miles ahead of the rest of Ulster at this stage although it's only the league so far.

The beauty is, especially in Ulster, on any particular day, a whole ream of things can happen, goals, key players underperforming, injuries etc... Donegal will absolutely give us their fill of it. Not a chance a team managed by McGuinness isn't going all in for championship. Man's back to win trophies

Itchy

Cavan team out with no Dara McVeety, Jason McLoughlin or Killian Clarke named on the match day panel. Its very hard to see how Cavan can win this match

Tones

Quote from: bennydorano on April 04, 2024, 10:05:12 PMDon't expect Derry to win Ulster, no idea who will tho.

A fully fit Tyrone would have to be in with a shout, they have serious players, think it would be madness for Derry to go full throttle in Ulster if they want to lift Sam.

bennydorano

It is a sticky wicket, 3 potentially brutal matches in quick succession while the Dubs & Kerry run their benches.

Mario

Quote from: Tones on April 05, 2024, 09:09:44 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on April 04, 2024, 10:05:12 PMDon't expect Derry to win Ulster, no idea who will tho.

A fully fit Tyrone would have to be in with a shout, they have serious players, think it would be madness for Derry to go full throttle in Ulster if they want to lift Sam.
Can someone tell me how you don't go 'full throttle' for a championship match. The GAA is full of cliché's like this. Does Mickey tell the lads to take it easy vs Donegal in Celtic park? Does he rest key players so they are fit for the group stage in 2 months time?

The chances are Derry won't win Sam, they maybe have a 25% chance with the bookies, so you keep trying to win everything you can in my view. I'd say most Derry fans will be annoyed if they aren't in another Ulster final.

JoG2

Is the gear grinder thread still about? Fcuk me!  ;D

illdecide

You men are some craic...you have Derry v Armagh in the final with Derry winning pulling up...

Armagh will be lucky to get out of Brewster Park next weekend and if they're lucky enough to win that they more than likely will play Down who always give Armagh their fill of it and if that match was in Newry i'd not be over confident going there with our record. Derry will have 2 really hard games to get to the final and as much as they're a great team I believe we have seen their full hand over the last while where other teams are not or have not been at full throttle yet or injured players due back. Derry are good but I still put Dublin and Kerry above them come July time and Ulster teams may well catch them on the hop too, they're not as good as everyone is making them out to be...A couple of aging players with some miles in the legs and a great man marker for McGuigan can go a long way to beating them.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Mario

Quote from: illdecide on April 05, 2024, 09:48:06 AMYou men are some craic...you have Derry v Armagh in the final with Derry winning pulling up...

Armagh will be lucky to get out of Brewster Park next weekend and if they're lucky enough to win that they more than likely will play Down who always give Armagh their fill of it and if that match was in Newry i'd not be over confident going there with our record. Derry will have 2 really hard games to get to the final and as much as they're a great team I believe we have seen their full hand over the last while where other teams are not or have not been at full throttle yet or injured players due back. Derry are good but I still put Dublin and Kerry above them come July time and Ulster teams may well catch them on the hop too, they're not as good as everyone is making them out to be...A couple of aging players with some miles in the legs and a great man marker for McGuigan can go a long way to beating them.
Another cliché, showing their hand because they played well. Did Dublin show their hand when they beat Kerry by 10 points. I've heard people say Dublin aren't fully at it yet but the week before people were going to hand them Sam in March. As for aging players, i'd argue our age profile is very good. McKaigue obviously is old but he looks in great form this season. Rogers, McKinless and McFaul around 29 and the rest of the team are all early to mid 20s.

Ethan Tremblay

My own take on the ranking for the ulster championship (based on form and the draw).

1 - Derry - out and out team to beat regardless of the draw. 
2 - Armagh - draw lends to an 'easier' route to the final. 
3 - Donegal - seem to be a resurgence in them, should give Derry a game with a fully fit team.
4 - Down - Should get over Antrim with no fuss, and may catch Armagh on the hop to make it to a final.
5 - Tyrone - should get over the line in their first game, likely to get beat by Derry/Donegal. 
6 - Monaghan - expect them to beat Cavan and give Tyrone a game, but fall short at this point.   
7 - Fermanagh - expect Armagh to beat them, but it will be a grind for the most of it.
8 - Cavan - no real expectations on Cavan, exit at the first hurdle. 
9 - Antrim - Down seem to be showing promise, so expect Antrim to go out at their hands handy enough. 

Derry v Armagh a likely final. 

Derry's only downfall in my eyes would be injuries to key players(Mc Guigan, Rodgers or Glass) or taking their eye off the ball. 

For Armagh to win, they would need to get over the mental hurdle of caving under the pressure of big games that has haunted them this past 3 years. 

I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

tbrick18

Quote from: Mario on April 05, 2024, 09:32:30 AM

Can someone tell me how you don't go 'full throttle' for a championship match. The GAA is full of cliché's like this. Does Mickey tell the lads to take it easy vs Donegal in Celtic park? Does he rest key players so they are fit for the group stage in 2 months time?

The chances are Derry won't win Sam, they maybe have a 25% chance with the bookies, so you keep trying to win everything you can in my view. I'd say most Derry fans will be annoyed if they aren't in another Ulster final.

100%.
Winning the next game will be the goal from here on in. Be that Donegal in a QF or Dublin in an AI Final. There's no point in thinking about winning Ulster or Sam if you lose your next game, ultimately it makes it harder.
Harte I expect will pick the team he thinks will get the job done in any given game.

Itchy

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on April 05, 2024, 09:59:33 AMMy own take on the ranking for the ulster championship (based on form and the draw).

1 - Derry - out and out team to beat regardless of the draw. 
2 - Armagh - draw lends to an 'easier' route to the final. 
3 - Donegal - seem to be a resurgence in them, should give Derry a game with a fully fit team.
4 - Down - Should get over Antrim with no fuss, and may catch Armagh on the hop to make it to a final.
5 - Tyrone - should get over the line in their first game, likely to get beat by Derry/Donegal. 
6 - Monaghan - expect them to beat Cavan and give Tyrone a game, but fall short at this point.   
7 - Fermanagh - expect Armagh to beat them, but it will be a grind for the most of it.
8 - Cavan - no real expectations on Cavan, exit at the first hurdle. 
9 - Antrim - Down seem to be showing promise, so expect Antrim to go out at their hands handy enough. 

Derry v Armagh a likely final. 

Derry's only downfall in my eyes would be injuries to key players(Mc Guigan, Rodgers or Glass) or taking their eye off the ball. 

For Armagh to win, they would need to get over the mental hurdle of caving under the pressure of big games that has haunted them this past 3 years. 

Hard to argue with any of that