Started by moysider, June 22, 2015, 04:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

Quote from: moysider on July 14, 2015, 08:35:49 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on July 14, 2015, 08:02:51 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/0713/714534-sligo-1975/

Saw this on rte today.  Would be nice to repeat on Sunday

My first Connacht final. Seems like a different century ;D ;D

Sligo won that in McHale Park too, fair play to them.

Was also there, not my first mind you. I can clearly remember the Sligo folk going crazy in Charlestown on their way home.

Did anybody catch the Kick by Barnes Murphy on Willie McGee at 7 mins. Halarious.

moysider

Quote from: joemamas on July 14, 2015, 08:41:01 PM

Was also there, not my first mind you. I can clearly remember the Sligo folk going crazy in Charlestown on their way home.

Did anybody catch the Kick by Barnes Murphy on Willie McGee at 7 mins. Halarious.

You mean this bit of dirt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SbUTZ8yUvc

I'm splitting my hole laughing here ::)

Syferus

Larryin how do you feel about Kilmovee being in the County Roscommon postcode? Personally it's the best news I've heard all week.. :D

joemamas

Quote from: moysider on July 14, 2015, 09:09:37 PM
Quote from: joemamas on July 14, 2015, 08:41:01 PM

You mean this bit of dirt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SbUTZ8yUvc

I'm splitting my hole laughing here ::)

Need to clarify that one, Laughing at how blatant it was, relative to what anybody would attempt in a game today.

moysider

Similar to the kick from behind that finished Colman Corrigan. That kind of thing can do some job on the Achilles. Sligo had a few enforcers in that team. The full-back made likes of Mick Lyons look like a Xmas tree fairy.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: moysider on July 14, 2015, 06:32:48 PM

Just thinking out loud here but is this Ruddy thing a tactical move.

The dogs in the street are expecting Mayo to press the Sligo short kick-outs to 1. hopefully to force an error or two and snaffle a couple high up and 2 to force the long kick-out where it would appear we might have an advantage.

Ruddy could be landing kick-outs way down on the Mayo hb line. Ok Mayo might still be able to get more of these but it's well away from danger area. If Sligo can then stop the Mayo runners and effect turnovers the game would have a different dynamic to the one people are expecting. That is Sligo having to work short kick-outs under a high press.

Would dropping the regular keeper be too disruptive though? He did fine v Ros apart from one or two early jittery kick-outs.

Oisin McConville said recently that the position of goalkeeper has evolved to a position where the goalkeeper is picked like the Australians used to pick their goalkeepers for the International Rows. McConville reckons you want a man who can kick long and accurately. If he can stop shots, great, but that's no longer the goalkeeper's primary role.

The goalkeeper's primary role in the modern game is to kick it out and make sure his own boys get it. Besides, in these blanket days McConville wasn't sure there were all that many shots on goal in the first place. It was on the Second Captains podcast McConville said all this, but I've no idea when. It could be weeks ago, or it could be months. I suspect months, somehow.

Anyway, Carew is no daw. Something like what Moysider suggests could be exactly what he's thinking. Will Pat and Noel be able to adapt?

Farrandeelin

He's definitely no daw ICC, and that's the only reason why I'm fearful. It would be nice to win 5 Connachts in a row for sure, but Sligo will not roll over.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

larryin89

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 14, 2015, 10:51:19 PM
He's definitely no daw ICC, and that's the only reason why I'm fearful. It would be nice to win 5 Connachts in a row for sure, but Sligo will not roll over.

Mayo will win by as much or little as they want,cause we're Mayo and we do what we want in Connacht.

Syferus , it's a fook up.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

moysider

Quote from: larryin89 on July 14, 2015, 10:55:30 PM

Mayo will win by as much or little as they want,cause we're Mayo and we do what we want in Connacht.

Really?!
Has worked out then as little as we want the last couple of finals we've played.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: larryin89 on July 14, 2015, 10:55:30 PM

Except for getting a home venue for this final I suppose.

moysider

What I d like to know is why bring in another goalkeeper to panel now unless there are injuries to existing keepers (anybody know if there are injuries) or there is the intention to use his giant boot tactically. He would also be a weapon from long range frees.

But hey its probable nothing at all.

Why would Sligo roll over Farr?

Farrandeelin

Not meaning that at all, just since they beat Ros, nearly everyone is saying it's in the bag. I know this panel of players have dealt with the favourites tag well enough, but I'd like to have the game over first (with a win) before we have it in the bag.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

magpie seanie

I actually saw Ruddy playing in a club match recently (for St Mary's) but didn't know who he was. I only found out last night. I don't think there's any chance of him seeing action on Sunday.

Jinxy

I've a cousin from Mayo who reckons they will win by an absolute cricket score.
He reckons it'll be like watching a senior club team playing the u-14s.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ballinaman

Quote from: Jinxy on July 15, 2015, 09:30:45 AM
I've a cousin from Mayo who reckons they will win by an absolute cricket score.
He reckons it'll be like watching a senior club team playing the u-14s.
larryin89?