Mayo v ????? All Ireland Quarter Final Official Thread

Started by Barney, July 23, 2012, 09:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 23, 2012, 12:30:08 PM
I'd take that as a compliment PaulD. If Mayo did end up playing Down he'd fear Down. I think he's hoping it's a Tipp win. And then Tipp and Mayo meet.
You got it just about right, 'deelin.
I wouldn't take Down lightly if they do beat Tipp. However, they appeared to be totally exhausted yesterday. The six-day turnaround won't help them. They'd need a far longer break before their next game if they are to have a  hope of winning it.
By contrast, Tipp has had an easier route to this game and should be far fitter and fresher than their opponents.
Being beaten any day is bad enough but Down were annihilated yesterday and I can't see them lasting the full 7o0  minutes without cracking up.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Syferus on July 23, 2012, 04:31:35 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 23, 2012, 04:29:29 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 23, 2012, 03:11:45 PM
QuoteI'd fear Kildares short hand passing game, like Cork and Donegal I could see them cutting through us

Have you seen Kildare play this year, our play A is to kick into O'Connor?

But in saying that our plan B which we used in the last 20 mins against Limerick was the short passing game with runners coming off the shoulder, worked a treat as we out scored Limerick 10 points to 1.
Exactly Dinny and it's the sort of game we have struggled to compete with over the last few years, Cork in particular have looked like they could put up big scores and big goal tallies against us, last years quarter final included

They certainly got a fearsome score against ye in the second half.

In the first 15 mins of the championship last year they blew us away, same with the league final in 2010, and the league final this year they looked like they could open us open
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Mayo4Sam

When is the draw for the quarters on? Did I hear somewhere that it's today?
If not what's going on in Castlebar this morning, heard Paul Collins mention something on Today FM this morning
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Sam2011

Mayo4Sam I think that's some championship launch going on in Castlebar, not the draw for the quater finals.
Don't know when the draw is going to be either Saturday, Sunday or Monday, hopefully Saturday 'cause I'm fed up waiting.

There's some team news in the Mayo news:
MAYO defender Richie Feeney is expected to make a fairly quick recover after picking up nasty leg injury in the Mayo SFC clash last Sunday.
The Castlebar Mitchels clubman was taken off against Crossmolina when his leg swelled alarmingly after he received a kick in the shin. However, an x-ray revealed no break and the injury is a suspected burst blood vessel.
Feeney (28) should have recovered in time for Mayo's upcoming All-Ireland SFC Qualifier on August 4/5 against one of Tipperary/Down, Kildare/Sligo, Laois/Meath or Kerry/Clare.
Ballina's Evan Regan didn't play for Ballina on Saturday evening after tweaking an existing hamstring injury while training with Mayo last week. However, Mayo selector Tom Prendergast told The Mayo News that he was 'hopeful' that Regan will be available for Mayo's A v B trial game this weekend.
The news is less certain for Crossmolina's Peadar Gardiner. He has been struggling to recover from a cracked bone in his foot and it is unclear when he will return to action.
Definitely out of consideration are Pat Harte (broken foot) and Aidan Campbell (hip injury). Breaffy's Seamie O'Shea came on at half-time for his club on Sunday after recent groin injuries but showed no ill-effects. However, his brother Aidan suffered mild concussion and had to get stitches for a wound over his eye after an accidental collision against Davitts

heffo

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 24, 2012, 10:59:58 AM
If not what's going on in Castlebar this morning, heard Paul Collins mention something on Today FM this morning

Football AI series launched in Castlebar Mitchells yesterday

Farrandeelin

According to the Western People, we can't meet Sligo should they win. It's one rule for the quarter-finals and another for every other round it seems.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 24, 2012, 02:42:06 PM
According to the Western People, we can't meet Sligo should they win. It's one rule for the quarter-finals and another for every other round it seems.

The no provincial final repeats rule has been long established. I didn't think it'd need confirming!

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 24, 2012, 02:42:06 PM

I think both (Mayo and Sligo) teams would be happy with that! Would be hard to play Sligo again (so soon). There has been so little variety to Mayos championship so far that i'm looking forward to what new challenge will emerge.

Rossfan

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 24, 2012, 05:40:04 PM
There has been so little variety to Mayos championship so far that i'm looking forward to what new challenge will emerge.

Kerry in the Quarters no doubt  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Quote from: Rossfan on July 24, 2012, 08:57:40 PM
There has been so little variety to Mayos championship so far that i'm looking forward to what new challenge will emerge.

Ah, you know could be a good draw for us getting Kerry! We have no problem with quarter finals or semi finals in Croker against big teams!

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 24, 2012, 09:02:03 PM

Ah, you know could be a good draw for us getting Kerry! We have no problem with quarter finals or semi finals in Croker against big teams!

No such thing as a good draw imo. I d be more worried about the way we are going ourselves. Most of our game is as good as you could reasonably expect but the icing on the cake is missing. It s not there and and 11 months on from Kerry semi last year our ff line ( our Achilles heel) is still very poor. We re one special inside forward away from being a contender.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on July 25, 2012, 12:41:03 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 24, 2012, 09:02:03 PM

No such thing as a good draw imo. I d be more worried about the way we are going ourselves. Most of our game is as good as you could reasonably expect but the icing on the cake is missing. It s not there and and 11 months on from Kerry semi last year our ff line ( our Achilles heel) is still very poor. We re one special inside forward away from being a contender.

Give K McD a bell, sure there's no point pacing around the house for a year when you can just break in an steal the ornaments now ;)

Captain Obvious

For years we were told Mayo are only a good forward(s) away from winning the All Ireland. Same again for 2012 it seems.

moysider

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 25, 2012, 01:04:01 AM
For years we were told Mayo are only a good forward(s) away from winning the All Ireland. Same again for 2012 it seems.

It appears that way unfortunately.

highorlow

QuoteFor years we were told Mayo are only a good forward(s) away from winning the All Ireland. Same again for 2012 it seems.

Stick A.O'Shea in full forward.

There ye are problem solved.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go