U21 Football Championship

Started by Croí na hÉireann, February 13, 2008, 03:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Surprised very little has been said about the shock of the year so far!!!!

DON'T ever get rid of the U-21 grade. That's the strong message from Wicklow U-21 boss Philip McGillicuddy after his side pulled off a massive shock by ousting Laois in the Leinster U-21 FC quarter-finals at the weekend.

The Laois U-21s contested last year's All-Ireland final and narrowly missed out on reaching the AIl-Ireland minor final, losing to Derry in a replayed semi-final. Not only did Wicklow restrict the Leinster champions to a mere three points (1-11 to 0-3), they did it despite being reduced to 14 men after just nine minutes.

And all this from a county which actually hasn't run an U-21 championship locally for nearly a decade.

"I'm not sure why. It seems there hasn't been the appetite in clubs for it. I believe the U-21 grade is a vital one for bringing players on from minor level," McGillicuddy said. "There's another huge gap to senior level too, which is why I hope the GAA always retains U-21s," he added.

"Laois used a lot of their good minors from 2007 against us and, unfortunately for Sean Dempsey, they clearly underperformed. Maybe that shows just how physically hard it is for 19-year-olds to come against 21-year-olds.

"Laois also lost three of their U-21 stars, Colm Begley, MJ Tierney and Donie Brennan, this year and Donie Kingston was out injured -- all big players. There's not great consistency at this age-group," McGillicuddy admitted. "Kildare U-21s handed Meath an awful drubbing recently, which shows exactly what can happen."

But Wicklow's U-21s lost to Laois by just three points last year and have been competitive at provincial level through the Noughties. Seven of this year's team -- most notably Seanie Furlong and John McGrath -- are on the county senior panel where McGillicuddy acts as a selector alongside Mick O'Dwyer. That has added continuity.

"But we have to keep this in perspective," McGillicuddy stressed of their big scalp.

"It's just one game, we have to play Wexford next and having coached a club down there (Killanerin) I know how strong they'll be. The reality is that this is just one small step.

"Unlike the seniors and minors, we only get one shot at it. There's no back-door for U-21s sadly, so if we don't win the next day we'll be sitting on our hands for the rest of the year and we have to remember that."

In the same competition, Leinster have rejected Kildare's request to have their quarter-final against Dublin played under lights this week. Kildare proposed Athy as a potential night venue (refused on health and safety grounds) and Portlaoise and Navan were also ruled out.

The game will now go ahead as rescheduled on Saturday, March 22, much to Kildare's disgust.

It had been fixed for March 9 but Dublin succeeded in getting a postponement because of player involvement with DIT in the Sigerson Cup. The delay means Dublin will possibly have access to some St Vincent's players after their Patrick's Day club exertions.

Kildare chairman Syl Merrins has accused Leinster of kow-towing to third level competitions ahead of county needs and paying lip-service on the 'burnout' issue by placing this game in the middle of the NFL schedule.

"Leinster Council gives the colleges priority over everything else and have done so for some time" Merrins stated. "It's madness in our view."
#newbridgeornowhere

western exile

Super win for Wicklow!
How on earth did they hold them to 3 points?

western exile

Donegal have beaten Monaghan.  A bit of a surprise as Monaghan were favourites.

bennydorano

looks like they did it without the St Eunan's lad & Senior panelist (Murphy??)as well which could be ominous for Armagh who go up there on Saturday. (ballybofey at 3.30pm)

Our Nail Loney

I don't think they should scrap the u21s, is a good competition and gives some lads who aren't at uni a good stepping stone from minor to senior, since they don't have the benefit of uni football.

Would love to get a bet on this competition, Ulster and the AI.

Anyone know anywhere pricing it?

Onlooker

Munster Semi Finals are on next Saturday - Kerry v. Cork (All Ireland Champions - 2007) in Tralee and Tipperary v. Waterford in Ardfinnan.   Kerry beat Limerick and Tipp beat Clare last Saturday in the Quarter Finals.

ziggysego

Is the Tyrone -v- Cavan game tonight been broadcasted on the radio? My friend is Germany wants to listen to it.
Testing Accessibility

Down Gael

Down 1-08  0-01 Antrim   Half Time in Pairc Esler

ziggysego

Any word on the Tyrone -v- Cavan game? Can't find anything, anywhere.
Testing Accessibility

stevecw

This weekend Leinster U-21 sees the 1st semi between Wicklow & Wexford.
Also a qf game in Newbridge with Kildare v Dublin. Winners of this game will meet Carlow in semi at Newbridge or Parnell Park.

wdusln

tyrone v cavan level at half time 1-06 a piece. not so regular up dates on q101

ziggysego

What sort of game is is wdusln? Is Danny McDermott playing?
Testing Accessibility

wdusln

tyrone leading by a point now. paddy hunter said at half time it was a good game. not sure never heard the team news but according to tyronegaa.ie he was on the subs

ziggysego

Q101's internet radio won't connect for me. Been trying all sorts of things.
Testing Accessibility