Mick O'Dwyer

Started by Bud Wiser, November 05, 2007, 09:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

If himself and Sean Kelly faced off in a celebrity deathmatch I'm not sure who I'd be up for.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Frank Casey

There's and old farmers saying about upstarts. It goes "when you've ploughed what I've harrowed". Now alot of you urbanites wont know what either a plough or a harrow is. But when any of you can point to a dozen All Irelands, as player and coach, and f*** knows how may provincial titles with 3 different counties, feel free to to point out his faults.
KERRY 3:7

Jinxy

And point out Pat Spillanes inadequacies as an analyst while you're at it! If you dare! (umpteen all stars, all-ireland medals and did ok in the superstars too).

Kerry Mike

Is it just a Kerry thing you have Jinky?

ahhhh the memories of 78,79,84, 85, 01, 04 and 07, jaysus or "yerra" as we say in the Kingdom, you could write a book about the 7 in a row Kerry batings of the Jackeens. 'tis getting embarrassing now.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Frank Casey

Quote from: Jinxy on November 05, 2007, 10:46:37 PM
And point out Pat Spillanes inadequacies as an analyst while you're at it! If you dare! (umpteen all stars, all-ireland medals and did ok in the superstars too).

I feel daring. He writes quite an interesting column in the Sunday World as well. I used to buy it just for Con Houlihan (another genius from the Kingdom) but now a find my self drawn firstly to Spillanes prose.
KERRY 3:7

ross matt

I agree 100% with Seanie. Micko's managerial achievements with Kerry are a credit to him but they have to be viewed in perspective. They came at a time when (except for Dublin) most counties had'nt really bought in to the whole fitness concept and he had at his disposal a bunch of incredibly talented physically strong bunch of players.

But does Kerry Mike actually believe he would have turned around the present Kerry squads fortunes in the manner that Jack O'Connor did? There is only so far you can take sentiment when making objective analysis. Micko was a fine player and his lengthy career both as a player and manager is exceptional. But let's not make him a martyr as Seanie said. It was his choice to put the time in and he definitely benefited in terms of profile and profit.

I cant believe some Laois posters here are happy with one Leinster under his management. With the quality of AI winning underage players that they had ? And then he openly admits to negotiating with Dublin whilst still in charge of them!!!  Such utter bullshit from him too about Gerry Loftus and is backward attitude to physical training. Laps...laps....laps...FFS!
And whats so great about his 2 Leinsters with Kildare? How long did it take? 10 seasons? What other intercounty manager would be given that amount of time?

I like the way he assumes the Dublin players wouldnt have wanted him to take over because he was a Kerryman. Does the likes of Keaney, Ryan, Whelan etc give a toss about his jousts with Heffo in the 70s and 80s? Its painfully more likely that they didnt want him because they would'nt have considered him up to the job.

Micko is a driven man in business and sport and successful in both but he gets far too much media attention for moderate achievements since 1986. He welcomes that attention though and yesterdays indo article to me just proved his book was going to be full of more of that self serving crap. His time has come and gone and the GAA world has moved on since Micko was a force to be reckoned with. So should the media.

Jinxy

Quote from: Kerry Mike on November 05, 2007, 10:46:43 PM
Is it just a Kerry thing you have Jinky?

ahhhh the memories of 78,79,84, 85, 01, 04 and 07, jaysus or "yerra" as we say in the Kingdom, you could write a book about the 7 in a row Kerry batings of the Jackeens. 'tis getting embarrassing now.

Nah, I just think this craic of someone being exempt from criticism because they have a heap of medals in their arse pocket is a bit much. Pat Spillane was just the first person that came to mind (Kerry folk seem to have more medals than most). Actually, given my opinions on Sean Kelly, Micko and Pat I could see how it would look like I'm extremely anti-Kerry! Yerra I'm not though.

stephenite

Quote from: ross matt on November 05, 2007, 10:55:24 PM
It was his choice to put the time in and he definitely benefited in terms of profile and profit.

Profile, yes of course.

Profit - until someone can prove it I think it's unfair for others to castigate the man.

darbyo

QuoteAnd whats so great about his 2 Leinsters with Kildare? How long did it take? 10 seasons? What other intercounty manager would be given that amount of time?

Considering what they achieved before and since he arrived I think his achievements are fairly noteable. It's easy to say that he won so many AI's with Kerry because of the players and lack of real competition (which is true) but keeping together such a talented bunch and adding some great additions was a magnificent achievement. In addition a Micko coached team is generally attractive to watch and a bit of hype is great for the championship and the game.

ross matt

Stephenite that's politically correct bullshit and you know it. Do you honestly think he put up all those years of high mileage because "he loves driving"?  Incidentally I have no major issue with him being re-imbursed for his time (within reason) but less of this nonsense about how "he gave his life to the GAA" etc..

ross matt

I did give him due credit for his achievements with Kerry Darbyo and they were attractive to watch but he did have awesome talent at his disposal. You're correct in saying Kildare didnt do much before or since his arrival but do you not also agree that 10 seasons (2 stints) with them was more than enough time to achieve this & would the likes of Jack O'Connor, Micky Harte, Joe Kernan etc not have achieved alot more with them had they been given this much time? Did Kildare not spend a huge amount of money in achieving this?

stephenite

Quote from: ross matt on November 05, 2007, 11:07:33 PM
Stephenite that's politically correct bullshit and you know it. Do you honestly think he put up all those years of high mileage because "he loves driving"?  Incidentally I have no major issue with him being re-imbursed for his time (within reason) but less of this nonsense about how "he gave his life to the GAA" etc..

Where did I mention anything about him giving his life to the GAA, stop putting words in my mouth that I had no intention of saying,

You have no idea what Micko received over the years, neither do I. I don't begrudge him a penny of anything he received over the years, legitimate or not. There are plenty of intercounty managers that have received big wads of cash for achieving far less than this man has over the years, but I don't see anyone rushing to condemn them. The hypocrisy

darbyo

QuoteYou're correct in saying Kildare didnt do much before or since his arrival but do you not also agree that 10 seasons (2 stints) with them was more than enough time to achieve this

Yes, but any manager of a team might have to wait for a team to develop before getting success with them. And then continued success is dependent on more than the managers ability, luck, injuries, the quality of opponents etc. all play a part.

Quotewould the likes of Jack O'Connor, Micky Harte, Joe Kernan etc not have achieved alot more with them had they been given this much time?

Maybe, maybe not, Tyrone, Kerry and Armagh would all have won less in the pre-back door era and Micko's early stint with Kildare was during the old system wasn't it?
QuoteDid Kildare not spend a huge amount of money in achieving this?

Probably, but they made a nice bit also.

ross matt

Come down off the high horse Stephenite (and whatever else you're on). Nobody is putting words in your mouth FFS.

I was'nt referring to you when I said "giving his life to the GAA". Read the earlier posts and the gist of yesterdays excerpts from his book not to mention the widespread plaudits on an almost daily basis from the indo over the last week and you''ll see what I was talking about. 

I also made it clear I did'nt begrudge him reasonable re-imbursement for his mileage etc but I think you're being deliberately naive about it and overall very defensive and sensitive about the man. Seems to be common reaction when people level criticism at Micko. Definitely a sacred cow.

Gnevin

Quote from: Kerry Mike on November 05, 2007, 09:16:36 PM
around Croke Park in 75,79,79,84 & 85.

74,76,76,83, Special honorary mention for Offaly in 82
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.