Ulster All stars

Started by Springfield, August 14, 2007, 04:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Star Spangler

Quote from: Deal_Me_In on August 14, 2007, 05:03:50 PM
I think Devine would be in with a chance for GK, he was superb for tyrone all year saving them on more than one occasion and in general his kickouts were good.
He shouldn't have come off his line when Geraghty scored the goal.  He was caught in two minds and that's fatal for a keeper.  You can be sure if Tyrone had scraped through that game big Packy would have been back in.

donegal gael

devine

d mone
k mc cloy
k lacey
c gormley
g mcquaid
lockhart

cavanagh
doherty

dooher
woods
r kavanagh
freeman
corey
bradley

Frank Casey

Whatever about provincial only all stars, Ulster is likely to only get a token one or two due to lack of any Ulster teams in the semi finals. The two finalists plus at least two/three extra dubs (whether they go out in the first round or not) will get at least 12.
KERRY 3:7

Rav67

Devine

McGoldrick    McCloy     Mone
McQuaid     Gormley     Freeman

Doherty Lennon

Muldoon      Woods     Cavanagh                         
Bradley         Corey       Freeman

Onlooker

Munster has had All Star selection in both Football and Hurling for the past 3 or 4 years.  I have not yet seen this year's teams.

Maguire01

Quote from: Frank Casey on August 14, 2007, 06:34:01 PM
Whatever about provincial only all stars, Ulster is likely to only get a token one or two due to lack of any Ulster teams in the semi finals. The two finalists plus at least two/three extra dubs (whether they go out in the first round or not) will get at least 12.

Tommy Freeman got the Vodafone AllStar (i.e. the official ones) for July, so i reckon he's in with a decent chance of getting one - although ironically, i don't think he hit his heights this year.

J70

Assuming its based on Ulster Championship games alone, its doubtful if any Donegal men would be in the reckoning. If its based on all games, then Karl Lacey and Rory Kavanagh would be in with a good shout, but no one else.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Rav67 on August 14, 2007, 07:25:09 PM
                 Devine

McGoldrick    McCloy     Mone
McQuaid     Gormley     Freeman

Doherty Lennon

Muldoon      Woods     Cavanagh                         
Bradley         Corey       Freeman

This is the team closest to my selection.

I'd have Cavanagh in midfield ahead of Lennon though & Gilligan ahead of Muldoon.
I'd also put Dooher in there to take Cavanagh's vacated wing spot.

Player of the year Kevin McCloy.

Devine is the only keeper I can remember making any saves! - He'd no chance with Geraghty's goal...wasn't his fault the defender lost him!

Uladh

So it includes the qualifiers then?

Deal_Me_In

What is the chances of an Antrim player receiving one as a token jesture for getting to the TM Cup Final? Would there be any candidates? C J McGourty? Just wondering i personally don't think there is.

Armagh CĂșchulainns

1. Shane Duffy (Mon)
2. Damien Freeman (Mon)
3. Kevin McCloy (Der)
4. Conor Gormley (Tyr)
5. Sean M Lockhart (Der)
6. Karl Lacey (Don)
7. Davy Harte (Tyr)
8. Fergal Doherty (Der)
9. Sean Cavanagh (Tyr)
10. Enda Muldoon (Der)
11. Paddy Bradley (Der)
12. Brian Dooher(Tyr)
13. Rory Woods (Mon)
14. Vincey Corey (Mon)
15. T.Freeman (Mon)

POTY - Mc Cloy
Its all about the Hurling.

mylestheslasher

Any room on those teams for Dermot McCabe. Had a great year for Cavan, just let down by those around him. I'll admit the competition is tough.

Maguire01

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 15, 2007, 07:41:04 PM
Any room on those teams for Dermot McCabe. Had a great year for Cavan, just let down by those around him. I'll admit the competition is tough.

It's hard to have a great year with 2 games. It's also going to be hard for most people to remember any execptional performances from teams who have been out for such a long ime - it's the way it always goes.

I have yet to decide my own team, but the following are likely to be there or there about:

No apologies for my Monaghan bias!
T Freeman, V Corey, G McQuaid, O Lennon, P Mone, JP Mone, D Freeman
Tyrone
Cavanagh, Mulgrew
Derry
McCloy,
Donegal
Kavanagh (maybe - was the only one capable of any damagh in the Omagh game)

It's hard to think of any exceptional performances from Armagh, Fermanagh, Antrim, Down or Cavan..... It's even difficult for Donegal given their lack of consistency. Can you give an all star on the basis of one great game if you've also had really crap performances? Surely an all-star has to be fairly consistent?

Not sure of the rest - can't decide on a keeper, no one stood out. Would have been Donegal's man, but Vinny Corey's goal in Omagh was the keepers fault for hesitating.

tyrone realist

Quote from: Gnevin on August 14, 2007, 04:55:28 PM
Is ulster the only province with it's own All Stars?

It would seem so, it's the fault of the partitionist Irish News.

And could some of our Farney men tell me if there'd be a big Irish News circulation in Monaghan?

thebandit

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 15, 2007, 11:00:27 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 15, 2007, 07:41:04 PM

It's hard to have a great year with 2 games. It's also going to be hard for most people to remember any execptional performances from teams who have been out for such a long ime - it's the way it always goes.

I have yet to decide my own team, but the following are likely to be there or there about:

No apologies for my Monaghan bias!
T Freeman, V Corey, G McQuaid, O Lennon, P Mone, JP Mone, D Freeman
Tyrone
Cavanagh, Mulgrew
Derry
McCloy,
Donegal
Kavanagh (maybe - was the only one capable of any damagh in the Omagh game)

It's hard to think of any exceptional performances from Armagh, Fermanagh, Antrim, Down or Cavan..... It's even difficult for Donegal given their lack of consistency. Can you give an all star on the basis of one great game if you've also had really crap performances? Surely an all-star has to be fairly consistent?

Not sure of the rest - can't decide on a keeper, no one stood out. Would have been Donegal's man, but Vinny Corey's goal in Omagh was the keepers fault for hesitating.

No Dessie Mone???

Quote from: tyrone realist on August 15, 2007, 11:07:23 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on August 14, 2007, 04:55:28 PM
Is ulster the only province with it's own All Stars?

It would seem so, it's the fault of the partitionist Irish News.

And could some of our Farney men tell me if there'd be a big Irish News circulation in Monaghan?

It sells well for GAA coverage, during the summer it sells almost twice as much as during the winter.

On the day after the county final it traditionally has its biggest sales of the year