36 (44.4%)
Derry to Win
44 (54.3%)
Draw after extra-time
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Bogball XV

Quote from: rosnarun on July 09, 2007, 10:16:02 AM
Mulddon is a scary prospect in full full though he does seem to blow abit hot and cold
I wouldn't be as worried about Muldoon as I would be about Bradley - Bradley if fit and matchfit is as good as there is in the country, consistently - Muldoon as you say can blow hot or cold - but he's due a good one again!!

muscles magoo

Quote from: blast05 on July 09, 2007, 09:54:28 AM
QuoteI have a wedding on Saturday so I wonder what are the chances of it being shown on TV or will it be the Cork V Tipp game that they show?

Well they showed a hurling qualifier last Saturday so presumably its the turn of a football qualifier and Derry v Mayo is the obvious choice. At least heres hoping cos i have spent a couple of hours thinking of the logistics of how i can fit that into next weekend but haven't come up with an answer yet  :(

It's simple - jump in a car, point it North and start driving - less of the excuses....

Maradona

Good win on Saturday. Was always going to be the sort of game it was - pretty open with a reasonable challenge from Cavan but Mayo always just having enough to pull through.

JOM tried a few new things with the team....some came off, others didn't. The Barry Moran experiment was a success. While he fumbled some, miss read others, importantly we were able to finally contest for high ball in our full forward line and a few scores came from breaking ball in there. When was the last time we saw Mayo wining a clean high ball in the FF line? Most important though it gave the Mayo forward division way more structure than it has had in a long time.

Thought Hanley had a superb debut - what more could anyone expect from an 18 year old playing his first senior match? 2 points on the run from play and generally showing very well for the ball. Thought he only messed up one ball.

Kilcullen, while I don't want to be critical of a young fellow, was a disaster and I thought it was very risky on JOM's part to leave him on. He messed up every ball some way or other.

We have to bight the bullet in the backs. I think Liam O'Malley is a class player but its too much to ask him to fill the FB role given his height and build. I have said it previously and still think we should play David Brady at Full Back. He can not give it 70 mins in midfield, so I think he could at full back. Dropping Heaney back every time we are facing a stiff test is not the solution. Brady is quite rough around the edges for and maybe could be fairly easily turned, but we desperately need a commanding, aggressive man around the square. Heaney is the obvious choice for CHB - funny his natural position but never gets the chance to play there! Harte and McGarrity for midfield whenever McGarrity is up to starting. Mcd at No.10 and given instructions on positioning!

My championship team would be:

Clarke

O'Malley      D Brady     T Howley

T Mortimer   D Heaney   P Gardiner

P Harte         R McGarrity

C McDonald     P Hanley    A Dillion

C Mortimer       B Moran   A Moran

(Obviously subject to McGarrity / McDonald being available / fit)

rosnarun

the reason id be more afraid of Muldoon is because (famous last words ) we have lots of backs i feel could handle bradley but its muldoons type we really stuggle against and i think he mas potentially has alot more class. bradley is more of a fats mans Connor mortimer. ::)
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Barney

This is what we face. Doesn't look too bad. Any of the Derry lads have directions parking tips etc?

Maybe the County Board will give some thoughts to the trips Mickey Moran faced last year on their way up on Saturday.

Maradonna, I'd be firmly opposed to any efforts to play Brady at full-back. He's just not a good enough footballer. As I see it the options are O'Malley, Nallen, Kilcullen or Heaney. And really it should be the latter.

Harte will be a big addition. The game on Saturday had to help McGarrity but he is way off the pace. Its just great to see him back though.

I think speed is the way to go against Derry and for all his flaws it may be a day for Gardiner despite what I said above.

Bogball XV

Quote from: rosnarun on July 09, 2007, 11:34:31 AM
the reason id be more afraid of Muldoon is because (famous last words ) we have lots of backs i feel could handle bradley but its muldoons type we really stuggle against and i think he mas potentially has alot more class. bradley is more of a fats mans Connor mortimer. ::)
We'll direct him to that comment ros :D

rosnarun

is it definetly going to be on in celtic park? ipresume Armagh were selected at home yesterday.
it a grand pitch the most thing i rmember about it is the fiercesome cold but that wont be a problem next week. will it?.
no real parking other than in residential areas unless they allow the cars to park in the middle of the old dogtack beside the football pitch .

Very Much BTW
I know freud would have something to say but does the the Peanalty and exclusion together area not looks like a bit odd.

An Gaeilgoir

I'd have to agree with everything that has been already said about the match on Sat. night. A couple of observation i have is that when Jimmy Nallen and Ger Brady came on they seem to steady the ship.I thought our full back line got a bit of a lift when Nallen and played well for the final 10\or 15 mins. I thnik we need a bit of experience in that back 6 because we were very in-experienced and at times all over the place. I have been in the past been one of the biggest critics of Ger Brady,but i must admit he brought a bit of direction to the half forwards when he came on.He did as is customary, turn over the first ball and over carried on the second but overall was good. Saturday night however has proved that David Brady is no longer a 70 minute midfielder..the legs aren't up to it. As for Derry, a good test of our aspirations for the rest of the year, i think however we have nothing to fear and we have an excellent bench for the final 10-15 minutes of any game. Sort out the full back line, with Jimmy Nallen at full back to weather the early storm that we will be hit with, Pat Harte at mid-field with Ronan,with David Brady ready to come in at Full back or mid-field depending on how the game is going. I dont know what Mayo support will be there but its a venue i havent been to before and am looking forward to it.

Bomber2312

If Gardiner Heaney and Mortimer are picked as half back line it'll be game over, far far far too attacking, leaving our already vulnerable full back line isolated! Surely not!

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Bomber2312 on July 09, 2007, 01:23:27 PM
If Gardiner Heaney and Mortimer are picked as half back line it'll be game over, far far far too attacking, leaving our already vulnerable full back line isolated! Surely not!

You might get away with it if you played a 3'rd Midfielder such as Barry Moran to give support, but then you are abandoning the Big Full Forward Option.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 09, 2007, 01:25:53 PM
Quote from: Bomber2312 on July 09, 2007, 01:23:27 PM

You might get away with it if you played a 3'rd Midfielder such as Barry Moran to give support, but then you are abandoning the Big Full Forward Option.
Lads, our options are limited in the half back line, the players wil have to be told in no uncertain terms to stay in a defensive mode. But also our forwards starting with no 15 will have to get the tackles in on any backs that are coming out. That is something we are guilty of not doing for quite sometime.

Bomber2312

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 09, 2007, 01:25:53 PM

it'll all be well and good if we dominated mid field, but that wont happern, even playing two of those in the half back line is a risk. i cant stress enough how we need to be rock solid at the back to get anywhere, case in point 1996, no forwards but a mean defense and it nearly got us all the way, our forwards are ten times what they were then, unfortunately our defense is twenty times worse

rosnarun

Quoteforwards are ten times what they were then, unfortunately our defense is twenty times worse
i told you a million times not to exaggerate.

the current mayo team will not be rock solid at the back and out best hope is to outscore out opponents as we did with cavan. stay clear of all the rough stuff and attack attack attack

Bomber2312

Quote from: rosnarun on July 09, 2007, 01:44:14 PM
Quoteforwards are ten times what they were then, unfortunately our defense is twenty times worse
i told you a million times not to exaggerate.

the current mayo team will not be rock solid at the back and out best hope is to outscore out opponents as we did with cavan. stay clear of all the rough stuff and attack attack attack

As we've seen that can get us to a final, but to win it all......................

Loup Bandit

Barney, the parking facilities aint bad in fairness. Providing your not too late theres a fair chance you'll get parked very close to the pitch. Good car parking near the brandywell (home of derry city f.c)

Hopefully muldoon will be back in time and start the game. Devlin was very impressive yesterday, so along with bradley and muldoon derry could be a potent enough full forward line.