Tax breaks for intercounty footballers

Started by Il Bomber Destro, January 06, 2018, 12:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: caprea on January 06, 2018, 09:51:38 PM
Be realistic, you can't offer a tax break for every volunteer, there are too many and the system would be abused.

If tax breaks were only of interest to the elite players they wouldn't get them. The reason they could is because it is in the interest of the government to have a strong GAA intercounty game because it generates millions to the bottom line of various different businesses around the country.

I explained it and gave examples, I can't draw you a picture, you don't want it explained, you just want to rant.

Of course I'm being realistic! And I know you can't offer every volunteer a tax break! It's a devil advocate moment. But you are asking athletic, Soccer, Rugby, Basketball, Cricket (etc) people to subsidise  the money laden organistation such as the GAA. Why? Why do we need to do this? Should Irish Soccer clubs be included in this? Why not? Oh yeah, they are not a money spinner for the Country! This is your premise!

caprea

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 06, 2018, 10:19:24 PM
Be realistic, you can't offer a tax break for every volunteer, there are too many and the system would be abused.

If tax breaks were only of interest to the elite players they wouldn't get them. The reason they could is because it is in the interest of the government to have a strong GAA intercounty game because it generates millions to the bottom line of various different businesses around the country.

I explained it and gave examples, I can't draw you a picture, you don't want it explained, you just want to rant.

Of course I'm being realistic! And I know you can't offer every volunteer a tax break! It's a devil advocate moment. But you are asking athletic, Soccer, Rugby, Basketball, Cricket (etc) people to subsidise  the money laden organistation such as the GAA. Why? Why do we need to do this? Should Irish Soccer clubs be included in this? Why not? Oh yeah, they are not a money spinner for the Country! This is your premise!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/tax-breaks-helped-to-keep-our-biggest-stars-at-home-29297107.html

Epic fail.   

Il Bomber Destro

What you "explained" is pie in the sky stuff.

There is zero need to offer tax breaks. It's elitism, these lads with their no-show jobs, sponsored cars, sponsorship deals and endorsements already make enough out of their status as intercounty fooballers. They don't need further tax breaks but it's in line with the way the game is going, professionals in all but name. I'd imagine guys like Bernard Brogan, O'Shea and Joe Canning make more in a year than any professional League of Ireland player and probably as much as some rugby internationals.

You keep rabbitting on about it generating millions, you completely overstate the revenue the GAA makes for the economy, it probably drains more out of the state than it generates. How many times does Croke Park fill up a year? 5/6 times tops. You might get Thurles full once a year and Clones full once a year and that's really about the height of it.

The GAA are the benefactors of this, not the state.

caprea

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 06, 2018, 10:25:42 PM

There is zero need to offer tax breaks. It's elitism, these lads with their no-show jobs, sponsored cars, sponsorship deals and endorsements already make enough out of their status as intercounty fooballers. They don't need further tax breaks but it's in line with the way the game is going, professionals in all but name. I'd imagine guys like Bernard Brogan, O'Shea and Joe Canning make more in a year than any professional League of Ireland player and probably as much as some rugby internationals.

You keep rabbitting on about it generating millions, you completely overstate the revenue the GAA makes for the economy, it probably drains more out of the state than it generates. How many times does Croke Park fill up a year? 5/6 times tops. You might get Thurles full once a year and Clones full once a year and that's really about the height of it.

Ok, I tried.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: caprea on January 06, 2018, 10:22:02 PM

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/tax-breaks-helped-to-keep-our-biggest-stars-at-home-29297107.html

Epic fail.

That is utterly wrong too.

People who pursue a sporting career, the very best of luck to them but it's a life choice, I don't think a safety net or retirement pot should be burdened on tax payers for these people to pursue hobbies as a career. If their own clubs or sporting organisations choose to do it with their own funds then it's perfectly acceptable but it should not come at a cost to the ordinary citizen.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: caprea on January 06, 2018, 10:27:00 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 06, 2018, 10:25:42 PM

Ok, I tried.

You tried and offered nothing substantive.

caprea

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 06, 2018, 10:31:07 PM

Epic fail.

People who pursue a sporting career, the very best of luck to them but it's a life choice, I don't think a safety net or retirement pot should be burdened on tax payers for these people to pursue hobbies as a career. If their own clubs or sporting organisations choose to do it with their own funds then it's perfectly acceptable but it should not come at a cost to the ordinary citizen.

So if it's wrong why do you think the government offer tax breaks to pro sports men who stay in Ireland?

They are just sound like that?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: caprea on January 06, 2018, 10:42:58 PM

Epic fail.

So if it's wrong why do you think the government offer tax breaks to pro sports men who stay in Ireland?

Politics. The GAA carry an enormous amount of political clout in Ireland.

You seem to be suggesting that the government only make decisions in the national interest. How naive are you? Did you miss where the Free State government put the burden of the debts of bondholders on ordinary citizens? Why do you think the government did that?

caprea

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 06, 2018, 10:49:03 PM

Epic fail.

you're going to have to explain that, I don't know what you mean.

caprea

Do the IRFU also have a great amount of political clout in Ireland that their elite players were awarded a tax break?

caprea

I think we have spoken enough. I'll cut to the chase.

I'm sure you're an educated person but to be intelligent you have to be flexible enough to have your opinion changed when something is explained to you. You can think that tax breaks are wrong... that's fair enough...but it is clear they have a value to the government because they don't just offer tax breaks randomly to rugby players, they do it because they think it's for the greater good. It shouldn't take you 4 or 5 times to have it explained.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: caprea on January 06, 2018, 10:57:00 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 06, 2018, 10:49:03 PM

Epic fail.

you're going to have to explain that, I don't know what you mean.

The GAA carry a massive amount of political influence in the country. The government generally doesn't make decisions with national interest in mind, they makes decisions that are self serving and are good for powerful organisations and people. We all know the influence the likes of the Catholic Church have had in the Free State since its inception, similarly its dealings and blind eye to big business men like Denis O'Brien.

The fundamental base of your arguments seems to be that the government wouldn't do this unless it made sense which is prepostrous given some of the recent government decisions - Apple Tax bill etc.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: caprea on January 06, 2018, 10:59:30 PM
Do the IRFU also have a great amount of political clout in Ireland that their elite players were awarded a tax break?

Most definitely. How much did the State pump into the failed Rugby World Cup bid which would have had a huge net burden for the state?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: caprea on January 06, 2018, 11:09:28 PM
I think we have spoken enough. I'll cut to the chase.

I'm sure you're an educated person but to be intelligent you have to be flexible enough to have your opinion changed when something is explained to you. You can think that tax breaks are wrong... that's fair enough...but it is clear they have a value to the government because they don't just offer tax breaks randomly to rugby players, they do it because they think it's for the greater good. It shouldn't take you 4 or 5 times to have it explained.

I really can't get over how naive you are. The free state has been run by gangsters since it's inception, how many tribunals have been set up now investigating all the corruption and dodgy dealings of ministers and you think they make decisions for the greater good?

Deary me.

Rossfan

A thread started by Bomber.
12 posts by Bomber in 2 pages
Last few are attacks on the "Free State Government "

Agenda or  what by one of the most narrow minded posters on GAABOARD.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM