Club Managers Money

Started by Captain Scarlet, December 19, 2017, 01:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

APM

I put up a very long post (http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=28388.0) about this a week ago and it attracted a couple of equally long responses, but not the debate that I wanted. 

The point I made was that once someone starts getting payments or expenses, then you're on the slippery slope.  Other volunteers think, why not me, or f@*k this.  Clubs pay senior managers, but I have never heard of a club paying even expenses to minor managers or whoever's looking after the U-16s.  Are they entitled to expenses also? Where does it stop. 

Why should anyone get paid to do something which is effectively a hobby.  Answer, because they are getting offered money? Next question; why is there a market for this? Answer; because no-one has done anything to stop it and there shouldn't be a market for club managers.  Its a racket folks!

Milltown Row2

It is a racket in the higher end of things, people getting cars and so on Ive heard and if clubs are willing to cough this up then they might be able to afford this out of their earnings as a club social bar that makes money or what mainly happens is there is a guy who has a few quid which he funds a manager..

Every club has an AGM and if they aint happy on how things are run or want to know the answer to something they ask, if there is enough votes on the subject then its either passed or not.. so as said before, each club to their own and if they feel that it works for them or that they can't get a clubman to take the team then what are they to do? should the committie look after the team then?

There are certain clubs that have a serious amount of money behind them and others that scrape along every year, its up to them on how they deal with it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tonto1888

Quote from: hardstation on January 18, 2018, 08:09:06 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 17, 2018, 10:29:57 PM
You haven't read my post have you?

I'll spell it out again, I've managed at least 5 different teams within the club, never paid until I found out the football set up got expenses for travel, so I asked the question after I was asked to become manager,  should there be a difference?

Now if a member of the committee was getting money would you step down?
I have read your posts. I never suggested that you did get paid a penny. I simply disagree with you that managers should get travel expenses. I would certainly object to a committee member getting travel expenses. That would not lead me to believe that all committee members should get travel expenses.

I don't think he said managers should get expenses but that the football manager was and that he as hurling manager should have had the same. Which I would agree with

JoG2

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 18, 2018, 02:10:39 PM

I'll spell it out again, I've managed at least 5 different teams within the club, never paid until I found out the football set up got expenses for travel, so I asked the question after I was asked to become manager,  should there be a difference?

I have read your posts. I never suggested that you did get paid a penny. I simply disagree with you that managers should get travel expenses. I would certainly object to a committee member getting travel expenses. That would not lead me to believe that all committee members should get travel expenses.

I don't think he said managers should get expenses but that the football manager was and that he as hurling manager should have had the same. Which I would agree with

Is it fair play you agree with or club managers getting money for volunteering with their club? I can't understand anyone taking money from their club

And the mercenary end of things being a racket, couldn't agree more. It's madness so many clubs buy into it (benefactor or not)

tonto1888

Quote from: JoG2 on January 18, 2018, 02:23:29 PM

Is it fair play you agree with or club managers getting money for volunteering with their club? I can't understand anyone taking money from their club

And the mercenary end of things being a racket, couldn't agree more. It's madness so many clubs buy into it (benefactor or not)

Its the fair play aspect I would agree with. I don't see how a club can give expenses to the football manager but not to the hurling manager. The rights of giving expenses is a different conversation I think

APM

What about the Minor Football manager then too? And while you're at it, what about the club secretary and treasurer.

tonto1888

Quote from: APM on January 18, 2018, 02:57:07 PM
What about the Minor Football manager then too? And while you're at it, what about the club secretary and treasurer.

so, you think its ok to give travel expenses to the football manager but not the hurling manager?
I think there should be rule. Either managers get travel expenses or they don't; don't pick and choose which do and which dont

APM

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 18, 2018, 03:16:58 PM

so, you think its ok to give travel expenses to the football manager but not the hurling manager?
I think there should be rule. Either managers get travel expenses or they don't; don't pick and choose which do and which dont

I think two wrongs don't make a right. I wouldn't be giving expenses to anyone, because it leads to resentment.  If you are in it for the right reasons, you won't be asking for expenses in the first place.  But if Jim finds Jack is getting expenses and he's not, then Jim willl turn into a greedy bastid and want £££ too. 

tonto1888

Quote from: APM on January 18, 2018, 04:28:52 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on January 18, 2018, 03:16:58 PM

I think two wrongs don't make a right. I wouldn't be giving expenses to anyone, because it leads to resentment.  If you are in it for the right reasons, you won't be asking for expenses in the first place.  But if Jim finds Jack is getting expenses and he's not, then Jim willl turn into a greedy bastid and want £££ too.

Im with you on that but I don't see how you can give one manager expenses but not others

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on January 18, 2018, 03:48:02 PM

He did.
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 17, 2018, 01:26:08 PM
A clubman who looks after the team should not have to pay for his fuel and telphone calls.. and thats for any team

And I stand by it, it's a small fee to pay someone fuel, why then should referees get it Hardstation? You talk about amateurism and volunteerism. What's the difference?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: hardstation on January 19, 2018, 01:49:56 PM
And then why shouldn't everyone get it?

The point about refereeing is that you are helping the county out more so than your club. You are expected to travel the county refereeing games that your club has no involvement in. The county reimburse you for this, not your club. Unless I'm mistaken (and I may be) referees don't take any money from their clubs either.

Also, I would question the "small fee" when every manager in every code in your club is knocking the treasurer's door.
in Westmeath the home club has to pay the referee the expenses either before or after the league game
its a very messy set up

Milltown Row2

The point about refereeing is that you are helping the county out more so than your club. You are expected to travel the county refereeing games that your club has no involvement in. The county reimburse you for this, not your club. Unless I'm mistaken (and I may be) referees don't take any money from their clubs either.

Also, I would question the "small fee" when every manager in every code in your club is knocking the treasurer's door.

Its still amateurism and volunteerism, no one has forced me to do it and I do it cause I like it and putting something back (in a small way).. if i wasnt going to referee i'd be at my own club watching a game.. as for the county reimburse me, i think the clubs pay the county annually for whatever fees that are required and I'm sure there may be some budget from Croke.. so I'm not totally sure who pays

Clubs do supply their ref's with gear each year should they require it also, maybe they shouldnt take that also as that would be seen as ripping your club off!

A small fee as i mentioned is simple, some coverage of expenses, some peope live besides their club, some don't.

There has been all sorts of back handers going on in clubs for years and if you dont think there has been then you are thicker than i thought!

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 19, 2018, 01:55:18 PM

in Westmeath the home club has to pay the referee the expenses either before or after the league game
its a very messy set up

That could work very well in Antrim. They could double up & they could pay you a match fee, while you're getting get the normal "and what are you going to be putting down in your match report about.......?" visit to your dressing room, afterwards!

Mind you, if the home team paid your expenses, the home team would want a home win, in return.