Monaghan v Down - Sat 29th July - Croke Park - 17:00

Started by GrandMasterFlash, July 18, 2017, 02:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schkite

Quote from: straightred on July 29, 2017, 11:37:54 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 29, 2017, 06:42:03 PM
Much better second half from Monaghan.

Did monaghan deliberatly line out to finish stronger or did it just work out that way. I know freeman might be lighting it up in Dublin club football but Jack is a better option (and so it proved). Also what does McCarthy have to do to get a start. He's a class act.

I do think it's a tactic to finish with a stronger attack. Start with the likes of Doogan, Malone and Carey who will run all day and work hard, and if you get 1-2 pts out of them then that's a bonus. Then in the second half when it opens up a bit, bring on more scorers - which at different times has been 2-3 of McCarthy, Duffy, Freeman and McCarron today. We've finished basically every game as the stronger team so it's been working up to now. Funny enough the one game we started with a very attacking forward line was the first Down game. When we didn't rack up an early score we were in trouble, as there wasn't the same quality to bring off the bench.

Quality wise McCarthy definitely warrants a start, he's been one of our brightest parts of this summer. But the one game he did start(Down in Ulster), he wasn't as effective. So I could see why he'd be held in reserve, he's made an impact every time he comes off the bench.

Gold

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 29, 2017, 05:49:51 PM
Quote from: thebar on July 29, 2017, 05:42:37 PM
feck me never seen so many soft frees in my life that Deegan fella is a joke

Blame the Down defenders for being absolutely daft - there should have figured out way quicker he wasn't going to let anything go, but they still continued with the little jersey tugs - handed Monaghan at least 3 points by my reckoning.

Softest frees ever kept mon in the game 1st half.....most infuriatingly McManus brought 3 1st half frees over 10 yards in from the sideline (without the ref, linesman or umpires catching on) before scoring what would have and should have been much more  difficult frees...i know this wont be talked about...but 3 scores is massive and the fact it wasnt picked up on (as the ref was speaking to the player who fouled) on 3 occasions is farcical.

Makes our game seem so amateur...the last one was brought fully 15 yards in from where it happend...call it cuteness from McManus but its rank amateurism from our officials...Peter Turley went to the linesman who waved his protests away.

Down should have been at least 3 up at the break
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

straightred

Quote from: Gold on July 30, 2017, 12:24:40 AM

Blame the Down defenders for being absolutely daft - there should have figured out way quicker he wasn't going to let anything go, but they still continued with the little jersey tugs - handed Monaghan at least 3 points by my reckoning.

Softest frees ever kept mon in the game 1st half.....most infuriatingly McManus brought 3 1st half frees over 10 yards in from the sideline (without the ref, linesman or umpires catching on) before scoring what would have and should have been much more  difficult frees...i know this wont be talked about...but 3 scores is massive and the fact it wasnt picked up on (as the ref was speaking to the player who fouled) on 3 occasions is farcical.

Makes our game seem so amateur...the last one was brought fully 15 yards in from where it happend...call it cuteness from McManus but its rank amateurism from our officials...Peter Turley went to the linesman who waved his protests away.

you can call them soft if you want but they were all fouls and that's all that matters. Point taken about stealing yards. They all do it though

Main Street

Quote from: Schkite on July 30, 2017, 12:13:39 AM
Quote from: straightred on July 29, 2017, 11:37:54 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 29, 2017, 06:42:03 PM
Much better second half from Monaghan.

Did monaghan deliberatly line out to finish stronger or did it just work out that way. I know freeman might be lighting it up in Dublin club football but Jack is a better option (and so it proved). Also what does McCarthy have to do to get a start. He's a class act.

I do think it's a tactic to finish with a stronger attack. Start with the likes of Doogan, Malone and Carey who will run all day and work hard, and if you get 1-2 pts out of them then that's a bonus. Then in the second half when it opens up a bit, bring on more scorers - which at different times has been 2-3 of McCarthy, Duffy, Freeman and McCarron today. We've finished basically every game as the stronger team so it's been working up to now. Funny enough the one game we started with a very attacking forward line was the first Down game. When we didn't rack up an early score we were in trouble, as there wasn't the same quality to bring off the bench.

Quality wise McCarthy definitely warrants a start, he's been one of our brightest parts of this summer. But the one game he did start(Down in Ulster), he wasn't as effective. So I could see why he'd be held in reserve, he's made an impact every time he comes off the bench.
It's a conundrum alright, McCarthy has earned his starting place but his role in reserve so far best serves the team.  Thought the scales were tipping Monaghan's way, I think the scores were level when he came on for Freeman after 45mins and he was instrumental in the purple patch   as Monaghan raced away with the game.

snoopdog

Quote from: Gold on July 30, 2017, 12:24:40 AM
Time to introduce the foam spray. That would sort that out. Happens all the time.

Gold

The last one was eye-wateringly outrageous :D. McManus brought the ball in 3 grass cut lines of the pitch (if that makes sense)..

This is coming from a neutral Antrim man who just wanted to see a good game. Was frustrating that Down gave the opportunity for Mon to get frees....many were half fouls but with a fuss ref you cant leave a hand in at all

Whilst Harrison etc was kicking wonder scores up in the hill end it was poor to see that Moanghans half foul frees were worth as much as a wonder score at the other end.

Mon forwards were so impotant that all down had to do was stand them up without fouling...down leading by the deserved 3 or 4 may have changed 2nd half dynamic

Speaking of frees...Downs lack of a natural free taker was a big difference between the teams

Mon were far more potent with McCarthy and McCarron on
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Main Street

Quote from: Gold on July 30, 2017, 09:19:07 AM
The last one was eye-wateringly outrageous :D. McManus brought the ball in 3 grass cut lines of the pitch (if that makes sense)..

This is coming from a neutral Antrim man who just wanted to see a good game. Was frustrating that Down gave the opportunity for Mon to get frees....many were half fouls but with a fuss ref you cant leave a hand in at all

Whilst Harrison etc was kicking wonder scores up in the hill end it was poor to see that Moanghans half foul frees were worth as much as a wonder score at the other end.

Mon forwards were so impotant that all down had to do was stand them up without fouling...down leading by the deserved 3 or 4 may have changed 2nd half dynamic

Speaking of frees...Downs lack of a natural free taker was a big difference between the teams

Mon were far more potent with McCarthy and McCarron on
That's truly an amazing piece of insight, keep it up son!

MonaghanExile

Quote from: Gold on July 30, 2017, 09:19:07 AM

Bugbear for me this. A foul is a foul. If the Monaghan players were not being repeatedly fouled they might have had the chance to score wonder scores. But as their movement was being continually restricted, then they had to settle for frees.

Taylor

Monaghan started v slow and looked like they were going to be bullied out of the game again. This is something new with this team in that they arent imposing themselves on teams like they used to.

Harrison was fantastic and is someone worth paying in to see. Its a pity he didnt have more help around him as the rest of the Down forwards are average at best.
OHanlon missed a free at a vital time which ultimately cost Down any change of a comeback.

Mc Carthy is excellent and Monaghan look a different proposition when he is on the field. In the first half when McManus went past the 40 there was zero movement from the Monagahn forward line and they had to recycle continually.

Monaghan will get blown away by Dublin mind you as they simply dont have the defence to cope with the Dubs running game