Steps...

Started by Dinny Breen, July 24, 2017, 08:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Their cover of Tragedy would probably my favourite song of theirs.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Main Street on July 25, 2017, 10:00:17 PM
Quote from: UlsterMan2 on July 24, 2017, 03:02:14 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 24, 2017, 08:38:12 AM
It's absolutely rampant and has been for years. Easily the most abused rule in the game. I have great sympathy for defenders because it is practically impossible to stop an opponent if they're allowed to violate this rule. Players should use the ball or face the consequences. If gaelic football was refereed correctly it would be much better.

Referees need to understand that allowing advantage doesn't mean you allow 10-12 steps. Hand up for advantage, when they take too many steps bring it back for the free.

But if you take too many steps while playing an advantage it is then a free against you
At times when the tackle is only robust, refs tend to allow a player with the ball the extra steps just so he can ride the tackle.

I don't think there's any doubt that refs allow players get away with extra steps if they think they are being fouled. It's not correct as ulsterman has pointed out but it happens. Have you ever seen a ref penalise a player for a technical foul while he has the advantage? I never have.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 25, 2017, 10:25:31 PM

I don't think there's any doubt that refs allow players get away with extra steps if they think they are being fouled. It's not correct as ulsterman has pointed out but it happens. Have you ever seen a ref penalise a player for a technical foul while he has the advantage? I never have.

I have AZ, and I posed the question here afterwards as I couldn't believe it.

I think it was a home Armagh league game this season.  Armagh had the advantage and then the player that was playing the advantage made an illegal handpass and the ref awarded a free against him.

EDIT: I searched my posts and I see it occurred in the Armagh club final last season, not the League.  My post is here: http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=27413.msg1636067#msg1636067

vallankumous

Quote from: Esmarelda on July 25, 2017, 02:32:53 PM

I understand your point. But that applies to many areas of the game. It shouldn't stop the changing of the rule if it's seen as beneficial.

The time taken to take four steps is much more open to interpretation than a three second rule.

Yes it does and this is the grey area we are discussing.

My point is - there is no benefit from changing the rule from 'the time it takes' to '3 seconds' as it will not address the grey area. It's just rewording.

If it becomes an enforced 3 seconds the Sunday Game will make hay with timing it in the studio ignoring the reality on the pitch in real time.
The time it takes to take four steps is to allow for referees to make the judgement which is fair. The introduction of one size fits all rule usually ends up unworkable as no two cases are the same.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Smokin Joe on July 26, 2017, 07:14:51 AM

I have AZ, and I posed the question here afterwards as I couldn't believe it.

I think it was a home Armagh league game this season.  Armagh had the advantage and then the player that was playing the advantage made an illegal handpass and the ref awarded a free against him.

EDIT: I searched my posts and I see it occurred in the Armagh club final last season, not the League.  My post is here: http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=27413.msg1636067#msg1636067

I think I saw it in a Sligo NFL game this year and lambasted the ref for it. I didn't know the rule.

Esmarelda

Quote from: vallankumous on July 26, 2017, 08:04:36 AM
Quote from: Esmarelda on July 25, 2017, 02:32:53 PM

I understand your point. But that applies to many areas of the game. It shouldn't stop the changing of the rule if it's seen as beneficial.

The time taken to take four steps is much more open to interpretation than a three second rule.

Yes it does and this is the grey area we are discussing.

My point is - there is no benefit from changing the rule from 'the time it takes' to '3 seconds' as it will not address the grey area. It's just rewording.

If it becomes an enforced 3 seconds the Sunday Game will make hay with timing it in the studio ignoring the reality on the pitch in real time.
The time it takes to take four steps is to allow for referees to make the judgement which is fair. The introduction of one size fits all rule usually ends up unworkable as no two cases are the same.
I disagree. A ref might miscount three seconds but that's an error on his part. He knows that it's three seconds which is an exact time. On the contrary, all cases are the same. So whether you're surrounded by players or standing on your own, you have three seconds to play the ball.

Let's agree that anything the Sunday Game have to say about it will only complicate matters. :)

Main Street

It's absolutely rampant and has been for years. Easily the most abused rule in the game. I have great sympathy for defenders because it is practically impossible to stop an opponent if they're allowed to violate this rule. Players should use the ball or face the consequences. If gaelic football was refereed correctly it would be much better.

Referees need to understand that allowing advantage doesn't mean you allow 10-12 steps. Hand up for advantage, when they take too many steps bring it back for the free.

But if you take too many steps while playing an advantage it is then a free against you
At times when the tackle is only robust, refs tend to allow a player with the ball the extra steps just so he can ride the tackle.

My point was more that even when the tackle is robust but legal, not a foul, the ref allows the player with the ball the extra steps to ride the legal tackle.

rosnarun

Quote from: Main Street on July 26, 2017, 12:05:29 PM

My point was more that even when the tackle is robust but legal, not a foul, the ref allows the player with the ball the extra steps to ride the legal tackle.
Exactly and then they are fouled and Dean Rock Puts over the free
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

gaaman2016

I've seen it were a player is fouled 45 yards out and ref indicates advantage. Player knows free iswithin range for the free taker and stops playing electing to take the free and ref has blown him up for overcarring and awarded a free out

manfromdelmonte

Maurice Deegan likes his steps

mrdeeds

Andy Moran liked his steps.

Esmarelda

Colm Boyle takes very quick, and many, steps.

Dinny Breen

Ger Aylward
Brian Howard
#newbridgeornowhere

manfromdelmonte

Every Dublin and Tyrone player yesterday

put the ball in one hand and away you go

Gael85

Stephen O'Brien and Darren O'Sullivan from Kerry never get pulled for steps.