Steps...

Started by Dinny Breen, July 24, 2017, 08:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

3 seconds is actually a long time. You could cover 20/25 metres easily in that time.

Esmarelda

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 25, 2017, 08:48:00 AM
3 seconds is actually a long time. You could cover 20/25 metres easily in that time.
I'm fine with that. If someone is going to cover 25 metres in three seconds then I don't think anyone is going to make a clean tackle on them at that speed anyway.

vallankumous

Quote from: Main Street on July 24, 2017, 11:10:53 PM

I think that's an erroneous interpretation of the rule.

The rule is  4 steps, OR if you're just holding the ball you have that same amount of time to decide upon an action.
At least that's the clear intent of the rule, imo.
There is a level of ambiguity in the rule but I think it's not at all credible to think that a player can take more than 4 steps, if they're fast steps :)

When a player is in possession of the ball, it
may be:-
(a) carried for a maximum of four consecutive
steps or held in the hand(s) for no longer
than the time needed to take four steps;

This is to allow referee discretion. The same thing as the 3 second rule being called for.
If you make it a 3 second rule we will be back here discussion the same problem.

If you chance your arm and get away with it then good enough. If ye get caught then good enough too. The same applies or the pick up and the hand pass. All technical fouls ye might get away with and you might not.

Esmarelda

Quote from: vallankumous on July 25, 2017, 09:45:57 AM
Quote from: Main Street on July 24, 2017, 11:10:53 PM

I think that's an erroneous interpretation of the rule.

The rule is  4 steps, OR if you're just holding the ball you have that same amount of time to decide upon an action.
At least that's the clear intent of the rule, imo.
There is a level of ambiguity in the rule but I think it's not at all credible to think that a player can take more than 4 steps, if they're fast steps :)

When a player is in possession of the ball, it
may be:-
(a) carried for a maximum of four consecutive
steps or held in the hand(s) for no longer
than the time needed to take four steps;

This is to allow referee discretion. The same thing as the 3 second rule being called for.
If you make it a 3 second rule we will be back here discussion the same problem.

If you chance your arm and get away with it then good enough. If ye get caught then good enough too. The same applies or the pick up and the hand pass. All technical fouls ye might get away with and you might not.
Why? Three seconds is three seconds is it not?

magpie seanie

3 seconds is an eternity. I'd prefer to leave the mess we have now that allow 3 seconds between plays.

rosnarun

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 25, 2017, 11:28:44 AM
3 seconds is an eternity. I'd prefer to leave the mess we have now that allow 3 seconds between plays.
who said 3 seconds does the time vary in that a quick player get 3 seconds and a lumbering cornerback gets around 5?
its what seems to happen with delaying free kick . Cillian o connor get pull up after 35 seconds in the Connaught final a few years back yet cluxton was giver 1min 20 to take the match winning score the same year
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: rosnarun on July 25, 2017, 11:37:53 AM
who said 3 seconds does the time vary in that a quick player get 3 seconds and a lumbering cornerback gets around 5?
its what seems to happen with delaying free kick . Cillian o connor get pull up after 35 seconds in the Connaught final a few years back yet cluxton was giver 1min 20 to take the match winning score the same year
either change the rule to 5/6 steps or enforce 4 steps or the time needed to take 4 -

vallankumous

Quote from: Esmarelda on July 25, 2017, 11:21:37 AM

No, Time is relative

sligoman2

4 steps is too few imo - make it 8 or whatever but enforce it.  Cillian Oconnor took 12 steps before scoring a goal against us earlier this year.

There's a lot of subjectivity in the modern game that may or may not be good, things like

- how much time the ref will play (or won't play😄😄)
- how many steps can you really get away with
- will it be yellow black or red card
- was he in the square before the ball was played (mayo again)
- how much time the ref allows when a goalie takes a minute and a half to kick a free in extra time

I've said it many times before but a stopclock and 2 refs would be a good start....
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Esmarelda

Quote from: vallankumous on July 25, 2017, 12:28:28 PM

No, Time is relative
Could you explain please?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Esmarelda on July 25, 2017, 02:13:36 PM
Quote from: vallankumous on July 25, 2017, 12:28:28 PM

No, Time is relative

Time Flies when you're having fun.

vallankumous

My 3 seconds can be different than your 3 seconds. Your 3 seconds can also be different from your 3 seconds. The same thing applies to referees.

This is why I think we would end up back here discussing the 3 second rule.

Esmarelda

Quote from: vallankumous on July 25, 2017, 02:29:47 PM

My 3 seconds can be different than your 3 seconds. Your 3 seconds can also be different from your 3 seconds. The same thing applies to referees.

This is why I think we would end up back here discussing the 3 second rule.
I understand your point. But that applies to many areas of the game. It shouldn't stop the changing of the rule if it's seen as beneficial.

The time taken to take four steps is much more open to interpretation than a three second rule.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: rosnarun on July 25, 2017, 11:37:53 AM

I take your point in general, but Cluxton's was exactly a minute from the time the free was awarded.  Awarded 70.51, kicked 71.51.   Consistent with at least one Kerry free earlier in the game.

Main Street

Quote from: UlsterMan2 on July 24, 2017, 03:02:14 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 24, 2017, 08:38:12 AM
It's absolutely rampant and has been for years. Easily the most abused rule in the game. I have great sympathy for defenders because it is practically impossible to stop an opponent if they're allowed to violate this rule. Players should use the ball or face the consequences. If gaelic football was refereed correctly it would be much better.

Referees need to understand that allowing advantage doesn't mean you allow 10-12 steps. Hand up for advantage, when they take too many steps bring it back for the free.

But if you take too many steps while playing an advantage it is then a free against you
At times when the tackle is only robust, refs tend to allow a player with the ball the extra steps just so he can ride the tackle.