Steps...

Started by Dinny Breen, July 24, 2017, 08:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vallankumous

Quote from: Esmarelda on July 24, 2017, 10:24:43 AM

The ball can be knocked from a player's hand at any time so on that basis, and to clamp down on the likes of Johnston, I think the bounce should be deemed to have begun when the ball leaves the hand.

I've been saying for ages that the rule should be changed to three seconds rather than four steps, for the reasons outline above. Three seconds, no interpretation needed.

It's a grey area for sure.
The rule allows for referee discretion without saying that.
It's hard to know the impact a change would have.

Rossfan

Add me to the list of people who want to see this rule enforced.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

I was at an U11 hurling blitz on Saturday morning before heading into the Gaelic Grounds, and in one of the games one of our lads took about 10 steps with the ball, under pressure. The opposition shouted 'steps' but the ref said, and I quote 'He's grand, he was being fouled'. It's obvious refs allow extra steps if they feel someone is being fouled, but I think now they allow the extra steps if they are even under pressure! Very hard. We coach defending, in football, as follows. If you are sideways on, near hand in and dispossess when he plays the ball. If you can, pivot him, and get in front. Stop his momentum, and then dispossess when he tries to play the ball. It's very frustrating when refs give the man loads of time/steps when he's under pressure, because defenders start getting annoyed and start fouling.

The only way steps seems to be given now is if you can hold his momentum up (delay) and then take his space away (deny). If the ball carrier looks hesitant, or turns and twists, you get the decision. If he bulls forward it's 50-50 at best.

quit yo jibbajabba

Anyone else disappointed this wasnt about the band?  :-[

punt kick

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 24, 2017, 10:50:32 AM
Anyone else disappointed this wasnt about the band?  :-[

Tragedy!

quit yo jibbajabba

Steps/steps

manfromdelmonte

there's no rule to ignore too many steps when being fouled

AZOffaly

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 24, 2017, 11:23:15 AM
there's no rule to ignore too many steps when being fouled

I know. But the refs just seem to have adopted this as like a pseudo advantage rule.

the goal was on

Ryan Johnston takes the biscuit though, he has great balance and a nice jink but he gets about 6/7 steps everytime he has the ball. Some players are now actually wrapping the ball up and taking it for a stroll!

AZOffaly

In fairness it's not new though. DJ Carey carried the ball for more steps than it takes me to walk to the shop.

blewuporstuffed

I agree 100% with this and as someone that was a defender for most of my career, its always been a bugbear of mine.

I think the idea to change from 4 steps to 3 seconds is a god idea. If someone can take 5/6 steps in that time , then so be it, but at least it gives you a reasonable chance of defending it and timing the tackle.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Dinny Breen

Quote from: the goal was on on July 24, 2017, 11:26:40 AM
Ryan Johnston takes the biscuit though, he has great balance and a nice jink but he gets about 6/7 steps everytime he has the ball. Some players are now actually wrapping the ball up and taking it for a stroll!

Dan Flynn is the master of this as well.

#newbridgeornowhere

Captain Scarlet

Flynn likes the big bounce.
Andy Moran seems to always overcarry straight after he collects the ball while twisting and turning.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 24, 2017, 11:27:35 AM
In fairness it's not new though. DJ Carey carried the ball for more steps than it takes me to walk to the shop.
Apparently they were only very small steps so it didn't matter!!!

UlsterMan2

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 24, 2017, 08:38:12 AM
It's absolutely rampant and has been for years. Easily the most abused rule in the game. I have great sympathy for defenders because it is practically impossible to stop an opponent if they're allowed to violate this rule. Players should use the ball or face the consequences. If gaelic football was refereed correctly it would be much better.

Referees need to understand that allowing advantage doesn't mean you allow 10-12 steps. Hand up for advantage, when they take too many steps bring it back for the free.

But if you take too many steps while playing an advantage it is then a free against you