All-Ireland Gold question

Started by Over the Bar, March 07, 2007, 11:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Tyrdub on July 29, 2019, 09:46:57 AM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 28, 2019, 01:05:52 AM
Quote from: hardstation on July 27, 2019, 05:36:42 PM
Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on July 27, 2019, 05:29:08 PM
Taking All Ireland Gold as a guide then football in the 2040's will make todays football look rubbish. With this knowledge, is there any point in playing now?
Yes, I long for the day that I can yap that football was much better in 2019. Regale the younger generation of how Tiernan McCann and the likes were real men unlike these pansies nowadays. I deserve a day like that.

;D

Agree with the sentiments about 'Football Gold'. Recall watching the 1977 Final and Dublin were absolutely rubbish...and they hammered us by 12 points, so you can guess what Armagh were like!!   :'(  It was reinforced to me recently when I watched ten or so minutes of our opening round defeat to Cavan in 1978. I was at that game but that was the first time since that day that I had seen any of the match. It was absolutely dreadful.

By the way, with reference to referees, check out the free that Seamus Aldridge awarded against Paddy Cullen in the '78 Final and from which Mike Sheehy chipped Kerry's second goal. The decision beggars belief.

Please don't ever mention that again, every time I see it I break out in a cold sweat and the temper rises in me. I can clearly remember watching it on the tv in our house in Coolock. I think it was the first time I ever cursed in front of my parents!!
Yep, THAT free had been a sore point with Dub supporters ever since and many who would be neutral can't see what the free was awarded for either. Fair enough....
I saw the incident and have watched a video re-run many times and I still can't see any obvious reason for Aldridge awarding that free. But, crucially, he was the referee  and while I disagree with his decision, I also accept his authority.
Paddy Cullen should not have left his goal unattended and rush outfield to remonstrate with the ref. Not a single Dublin back was attending to hid primary duty either. All got worked up and wanted to hassle Aldridge and they should have known that he was most unlikely to change his mind.
As I've said, I didn't, and still don't, see what the fre ewas for and Aldridge never said what the reason was either.
Either you accept the ref's authority to adjudicate as he sees fit or anarchy rules okay?
BTW, I'm from Mayo and I've got into endless arguments with other Mayo fans over the sending off of Liam McHale in the '96 final replay. I thought Seamus McEaneny, the referee, was very harsh and selective when he sent big Liam to the line but, according to GAA rules, he was entitled to do so. End of sory.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Hound

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 29, 2019, 10:23:08 AM
Taking All Ireland Gold as a guide then football in the 2040's will make todays football look rubbish. With this knowledge, is there any point in playing now?
Yes, I long for the day that I can yap that football was much better in 2019. Regale the younger generation of how Tiernan McCann and the likes were real men unlike these pansies nowadays. I deserve a day like that.

;D

Agree with the sentiments about 'Football Gold'. Recall watching the 1977 Final and Dublin were absolutely rubbish...and they hammered us by 12 points, so you can guess what Armagh were like!!   :'(  It was reinforced to me recently when I watched ten or so minutes of our opening round defeat to Cavan in 1978. I was at that game but that was the first time since that day that I had seen any of the match. It was absolutely dreadful.

By the way, with reference to referees, check out the free that Seamus Aldridge awarded against Paddy Cullen in the '78 Final and from which Mike Sheehy chipped Kerry's second goal. The decision beggars belief.

Please don't ever mention that again, every time I see it I break out in a cold sweat and the temper rises in me. I can clearly remember watching it on the tv in our house in Coolock. I think it was the first time I ever cursed in front of my parents!!
Yep, THAT free had been a sore point with Dub supporters ever since and many who would be neutral can't see what the free was awarded for either. Fair enough....
I saw the incident and have watched a video re-run many times and I still can't see any obvious reason for Aldridge awarding that free. But, crucially, he was the referee  and while I disagree with his decision, I also accept his authority.
Paddy Cullen should not have left his goal unattended and rush outfield to remonstrate with the ref. Not a single Dublin back was attending to hid primary duty either. All got worked up and wanted to hassle Aldridge and they should have known that he was most unlikely to change his mind.
As I've said, I didn't, and still don't, see what the fre ewas for and Aldridge never said what the reason was either.
Either you accept the ref's authority to adjudicate as he sees fit or anarchy rules okay?
BTW, I'm from Mayo and I've got into endless arguments with other Mayo fans over the sending off of Liam McHale in the '96 final replay. I thought Seamus McEaneny, the referee, was very harsh and selective when he sent big Liam to the line but, according to GAA rules, he was entitled to do so. End of sory.
Bit harsh on Cullen there. He didnt run out to remonstrate with the ref. He left his line to intercept the ball. Which was the right thing to do as a Kerryman would have got possession otherwise. He did a nice soccer style flick to beat the defender, which brought him further toward the sideline, but then the ref gave a free. Pretty sure the reason was for a pick-up, but it was never a pick-up. Paddy then just stood in disbelief with his hands in the air. Meanwhile one of the corner backs had gathered the ball (Kelleher I think) and he just handed it to Sheehy.

Hard to imagine anyone in Cullen's position reacting much differently. It was bizarre decision and while he was standing with hands in the air, the ball was in Dublin's hands, so there was no apparent danger. As soon as Sheehy got the ball and started to jog quickly to get into position to take the free, then Paddy got on his bike, but it was too late at that stage! Kelleher's naiviety was more to blame for me. Fantastic finish though!

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: mup on July 29, 2019, 10:13:21 AM

He'll be forever revered in Kildare after that decision. There is a statue of him in Naas with veni, vidi, vici written on its plinth.  :D

;D

Tyrdub

;D

Alright alright, move on, you're putting em in a really bad mood today

Tyrdub

Quote from: mup on July 29, 2019, 10:13:21 AM

;D

He'll be forever revered in Kildare after that decision. There is a statue of him in Naas with veni, vidi, vici written on its plinth.  :D

there was lots going on in the background between Aldridge and Tony Hanahoe who was the Dublin player/manager/ captain. led to a lot of bad blood

omaghjoe

Quote from: Hound on July 29, 2019, 01:28:04 PM

;D

Bit harsh on Cullen there. He didnt run out to remonstrate with the ref. He left his line to intercept the ball. Which was the right thing to do as a Kerryman would have got possession otherwise. He did a nice soccer style flick to beat the defender, which brought him further toward the sideline, but then the ref gave a free. Pretty sure the reason was for a pick-up, but it was never a pick-up. Paddy then just stood in disbelief with his hands in the air. Meanwhile one of the corner backs had gathered the ball (Kelleher I think) and he just handed it to Sheehy.

Hard to imagine anyone in Cullen's position reacting much differently. It was bizarre decision and while he was standing with hands in the air, the ball was in Dublin's hands, so there was no apparent danger. As soon as Sheehy got the ball and started to jog quickly to get into position to take the free, then Paddy got on his bike, but it was too late at that stage! Kelleher's naiviety was more to blame for me. Fantastic finish though!

Twas clean of the ground

Not to mention the innocence of the Dublin defender handing SHeedy the ball like his mammy told him to give the other boys a go