galway v kerry all ireland quarter final

Started by cornetto, July 23, 2017, 11:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 26, 2017, 01:48:15 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 25, 2017, 10:36:57 PM
No more than Mayo, I'm sure Galway fans don't know where they are at yet, apart from CP on Sunday. Did they take Ros for granted? We won't know I suppose (Ros v Mayo won't be much of an indicator either). I didn't see the Connacht final, nor the Galway Donegal game so I assume they may be better than they fared against Ros. Saying all that, I can't see them giving Kerry much bother, and unfortunately for Galway that's all that counts really.

I don't know how lightly Galway took Roscommon if they even did take them lightly but there's no denying Galway in those first 15 minutes were appalling and could easily have been 12 or 13 points down they were that bad.

Unfortunately you can't trust this Galway team yet which is fairly obvious given the Tipp & Roscommon games in the last 12 months and even the Donegal defeat in 2015. I'm hoping the current crop will improve with the more games they play in Div 1 and with a better defensive structure they should close the gap on those above them but until a few better defenders come along Galway won't be contenders for the big prize.

It was surprising (and pleasing) to beat Donegal as comfortably as we did. Sadly, management once again appear to be molasses-slow in learning anything. Midway through the second half and well in control, Comer should have been whipped off immediately. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he was just another card away from being suspended, on 2 successive sendings-off. Instead he was left on til near the end; it was mighty to see Meehan return, but, like McDaid, why not give him more meaningful game time? Sweeney and Kyne to a lesser extent were cleaned all evening, but it took cards to have them removed - why? Like all fans, I worry greatly for our FB line on Sunday, but, as game as he is, Sweeney in particular looks like an imminent-catastrophe. Any of the anticipated Kerry front 3 could easily go to town on him.

It's great to be there and we could have a punchers chance but if KW stubbornly persists with picking underperforming players in defence yet again, it's really a forlorn chance.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: mouview on July 26, 2017, 02:37:54 PM
No more than Mayo, I'm sure Galway fans don't know where they are at yet, apart from CP on Sunday. Did they take Ros for granted? We won't know I suppose (Ros v Mayo won't be much of an indicator either). I didn't see the Connacht final, nor the Galway Donegal game so I assume they may be better than they fared against Ros. Saying all that, I can't see them giving Kerry much bother, and unfortunately for Galway that's all that counts really.

I don't know how lightly Galway took Roscommon if they even did take them lightly but there's no denying Galway in those first 15 minutes were appalling and could easily have been 12 or 13 points down they were that bad.

Unfortunately you can't trust this Galway team yet which is fairly obvious given the Tipp & Roscommon games in the last 12 months and even the Donegal defeat in 2015. I'm hoping the current crop will improve with the more games they play in Div 1 and with a better defensive structure they should close the gap on those above them but until a few better defenders come along Galway won't be contenders for the big prize.

It was surprising (and pleasing) to beat Donegal as comfortably as we did. Sadly, management once again appear to be molasses-slow in learning anything. Midway through the second half and well in control, Comer should have been whipped off immediately. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he was just another card away from being suspended, on 2 successive sendings-off. Instead he was left on til near the end; it was mighty to see Meehan return, but, like McDaid, why not give him more meaningful game time? Sweeney and Kyne to a lesser extent were cleaned all evening, but it took cards to have them removed - why? Like all fans, I worry greatly for our FB line on Sunday, but, as game as he is, Sweeney in particular looks like an imminent-catastrophe. Any of the anticipated Kerry front 3 could easily go to town on him.

It's great to be there and we could have a punchers chance but if KW stubbornly persists with picking underperforming players in defence yet again, it's really a forlorn chance.
That has a familiar ring to it alright.

GalwayBayBoy

Not sure much can be done personnel wise at this late stage. We don't even have that many defensive options on the bench.

Sean Andy will get his shot at full-back during the league. Bigger, quicker and more athletic than Kyne. But Walsh still needs to find two new corner-backs from somewhere for next year.

An Fhairche Abu

As GBB has said it's a lack of options at this point, Galway bench on Saturday wasn't overflowing with defenders:
Ruairi Lavelle
David Wynne
David Walsh
Cillian McDaid
Michael Farragher
(Is he even a defender really?)
Enda Tierney
Eamonn Brannigan
Gary Sice
Danny Cummins
Michael Meehan
Ronan Steede

mouview

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 26, 2017, 03:11:54 PM

As GBB has said it's a lack of options at this point, Galway bench on Saturday wasn't overflowing with defenders:
Ruairi Lavelle
David Wynne
David Walsh
Cillian McDaid
Michael Farragher
Enda Tierney
Eamonn Brannigan
Gary Sice
Danny Cummins
Michael Meehan
Ronan Steede

McDaid is at least a lot quicker than Sweeney; Farragher mightn't be but is a better footballer all round. I'd even chance Wynne at this stage in place of poor Cathal.

galwayman

Ruairi Lavelle
David Wynne
David Walsh
Cillian McDaid
Michael Farragher
Enda Tierney
Eamonn Brannigan
Gary Sice
Danny Cummins
Michael Meehan
Ronan Steede
It's crazy there are so few defensive subs on the panel.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 25, 2017, 05:08:33 PM
Quote from: galwayman on July 24, 2017, 10:41:33 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 24, 2017, 10:07:03 PM
The only problem with the ignore user function on here is that you unfortunately still have to view their quoted posts.
Very true.
A Dose dot com

Attention seeking requires attention, why oh why posters bother responding is beyond me.

I know. All I can think of is that people don't realise and by the time they do it's too late as they've given the attention. The ignore function is imperfect as outlines but still very useful.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 26, 2017, 02:57:34 PM

Not sure much can be done personnel wise at this late stage. We don't even have that many defensive options on the bench.

Sean Andy will get his shot at full-back during the league. Bigger, quicker and more athletic than Kyne. But Walsh still needs to find two new corner-backs from somewhere for next year.

I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of Kerin, its a shame he's missed most of the year through injury. He is quick and strong and has the makings of a good corner back. Sweeney did very well in 2015 and had good games on COC, Jamie Clarke & McBrearty but unfortunately hasn't got back to those heights. Sean Andy will likely get his chance in the league but i'm hoping KW has someone else lined up for that full back line.

What concerns me most is that KW is fully aware of the limitations of Kyne & Sweeney yet leaves them wide open time and time again, by now he should have a system in place that offers them some sort of protection. Galway conceded 8 goals in those championship defeats to Donegal, Tipp & Roscommon and the majority of those goals could easily have been avoided.

DJGaliv

Do lads think that randomly Galway happen to be cursed with bad corner and full backs?
I've seen Sean Andy up against some of our subs as he hasn't done too well.

Kyne, Kerin, sweeney - whoever you put in there are being hung out to dry. We've a hugely attack minded half back line providing no protection to the lads inside. It can't be much of a coincidence that over the last few seasons it's our full back line to blame no matter who plays there.

It's unfair on the three lads to see all the criticism of these guys yet our nice natural non defensively minded half backs leave acres of space in front of them.

Our system is set up to leave these guys fight their own battle and it's rare any other county's full back line sees as much space ahead of them to kick ball into -  as do our full back line.

I do agree though if we are going for a bit of this kamikaze full back line play we need more pace. Maybe Mc Daid is the answer, possibly.

Syferus

Yer avatar picture has been fecked over by PhotoBucket's new ToS, DJ.

DJGaliv

Quote from: Syferus on July 26, 2017, 08:54:34 PM
Yer avatar picture has been fecked over by PhotoBucket's new ToS, DJ.

Cheers have changed it now.

magpie seanie

In the modern intercounty game the FB line is almost an impossible place to play if you're isolated and the opponents are semi competent. If there's no proper defensive system in place you're goosed. Owenmoresider made a great point earlier - I was probably giving Walsh too much credit for our defensive system. We had and absolutely amazing FB line at that time. You're probably not going to develop one in his famous A v B games any time soon.

mckieran

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 27, 2017, 08:55:02 AM
In the modern intercounty game the FB line is almost an impossible place to play if you're isolated and the opponents are semi competent. If there's no proper defensive system in place you're goosed. Owenmoresider made a great point earlier - I was probably giving Walsh too much credit for our defensive system. We had and absolutely amazing FB line at that time. You're probably not going to develop one in his famous A v B games any time soon.

This is very true. However, Galway's full back line appears particularly suspect.

mckieran

Quote from: mouview on July 26, 2017, 03:19:23 PM

Ruairi Lavelle
David Wynne
David Walsh
Cillian McDaid
Michael Farragher
Enda Tierney
Eamonn Brannigan
Gary Sice
Danny Cummins
Michael Meehan
Ronan Steede

McDaid is at least a lot quicker than Sweeney; Farragher mightn't be but is a better footballer all round. I'd even chance Wynne at this stage in place of poor Cathal.

Wynne has had a shockingly poor year so far. He was roasted v Down in the league. And in the Mayo match. I would stick with Sweeney.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway championship record v Kerry

Played - 20
Kerry wins - 11
Galway wins - 6
Draws - 3