Tyrone players say the Rosary before every game

Started by T Fearon, July 20, 2017, 06:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: smelmoth on July 20, 2017, 01:39:42 PM
Quote from: Jayop on July 20, 2017, 01:28:14 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on July 20, 2017, 01:25:49 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 20, 2017, 12:44:20 PM
Mickey Harte requests all the players to partake in saying the rosary before a game, the Tyrone Catholic Team?
Ronan McNamee
It (the rosary) can't do you any harm. I can't imagine it's going to cause anybody any upset. Whether we do it with Tyrone or not, I go to Mass every Sunday anyway. There is no reason why everybody can't go to Mass the odd time."
How about a reason being that a person is not a catholic?
What if a player is not of the catholic church and does not partake in the catholic rituals?
That's a bizarre backwoods religious culture in Tyrone.

Yes it is weird. Would an atheist or a Protestant be ousted, made to chant the meaningless mantra or be allowed to decline the invite to participate but not have their playing chances diminished?

I'd imagine they could sit it out if they liked Yeah.

As long as someone can imagine it that's good enough for me

I have to say, I had to read McNamee's quote a few times (rubbing my eyes between each attempted read..) It's like a excerpt from Father Ted! When you consider what the church did and these lads being forced (or requested at least) to pray, it's shocking in my opinion..

And what about the fundamental premise of sport and religion being independent? I fully understand that is a bit of an ideology rather than a reality, but surely every effort should be made to decouple both.

Mickey Harte should keep his religion personal, it's not a cult.

I'll stand back now and queue the backlash..

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: sensethetone on July 20, 2017, 01:45:54 PM
Quote from: WT4E on July 20, 2017, 12:55:39 PM
Mickey Harte requests all the players to partake in saying the rosary before a game, the Tyrone Catholic Team?
Ronan McNamee
It (the rosary) can't do you any harm. I can't imagine it's going to cause anybody any upset. Whether we do it with Tyrone or not, I go to Mass every Sunday anyway. There is no reason why everybody can't go to Mass the odd time."
What if a player is not of the catholic church and does not partake in the catholic rituals?

Be almost like a protestant going to a catholic wedding - unheard of.... what would they do?  ::)

They spoil the queuing for communion as the people row behind are wondering why they haven't got up yet.. then the second row behind start going up the chapel, then the first row behind smarten up and they go.. then you have to watch harder for your seat on the way back down.

Brilliant..  ;D

tonto1888

Quote from: Syferus on July 20, 2017, 01:10:17 PM
Ronan McNamee

Be almost like a protestant going to a catholic wedding - unheard of.... what would they do?  ::)

They don't get the protestant to stand up and recite a few decades, unless they do some weird shít at weddings in Tyrone.

Even in McNamee's quote alone it was obvious he and probably plenty of the others are only doing it because they're asked and to humour Mickey, the buck who decides if they play or not on Sundays..

It's also clear he was talking about people of the catholic faith but it didn't stop someone having a go at him

seafoid

Eamon Mc Gee  ‎@EamonMcGee 
Can't imagine this is mandatory for everyone but if I was in the panel I wouldn't be comfortable with this at all

McGee has always had a mind of his own
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trueblue1234

Jeez in years gone by Tyrone were being demonised for their dark arts. Now they're being slammed for their angelic efforts.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

WT4E

Quote from: Syferus on July 20, 2017, 01:10:17 PM
Ronan McNamee

They don't get the protestant to stand up and recite a few decades, unless they do some weird shít at weddings in Tyrone.

Even in McNamee's quote alone it was obvious he and probably plenty of the others are only doing it because they're asked and to humour Mickey, the buck who decides if they play or not on Sundays..

You must have seen how Tyrone team say the Rosary - maybe you can explain to all of us how it works for them. Is it like the stretching - all around in a circle and Horse shouts right Bradley you take the rosary today.

::)

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on July 20, 2017, 12:19:16 PM
I could never understand the mental gymnastics Mickey Harte has to go through to have a clear conscience being a devout catholic and the manager of the team that have been the worst sledgers the sport has ever seen.

Makes taking his piousness seriously in any sense impossible for me, and probably a lot of other people.

Worst seldgers the game has seen?

I think we're very good at the sledging, it's the slow witted counties like your own which would struggle with the sharp wit required.

BennyCake

Quote from: thewobbler on July 20, 2017, 09:26:18 AM
I played soccer for a college in the American Bible Belt.

Before every game we would huddle at one end and pray and give thanks. At the other end the opposition would do likewise.

God didn't get involved much. The better team won.

But as Homer Simpson said to the Flanders: no point praying, we've already done that. And God can't help both of us.

Cunny Funt

Fair play to Mickey Harte for still having his catholic faith after what happened to him. Not sure does he need to push his beliefs on a full panel of players but if they have the same strong faith as him then fair enough.

reddgnhand

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 20, 2017, 01:58:01 PM
Ronan McNamee

Yes it is weird. Would an atheist or a Protestant be ousted, made to chant the meaningless mantra or be allowed to decline the invite to participate but not have their playing chances diminished?

I have to say, I had to read McNamee's quote a few times (rubbing my eyes between each attempted read..) It's like a excerpt from Father Ted! When you consider what the church did and these lads being forced (or requested at least) to pray, it's shocking in my opinion..

And what about the fundamental premise of sport and religion being independent? I fully understand that is a bit of an ideology rather than a reality, but surely every effort should be made to decouple both.

I agree with you. I'm never comfortable with what goes on with my own club, annual mass, blessing of pitches etc.

twohands!!!

Quote from: reddgnhand on July 20, 2017, 07:48:36 PM
Ronan McNamee

I agree with you. I'm never comfortable with what goes on with my own club, annual mass, blessing of pitches etc.

A serious chunk of the population of Ireland have suffered at the hands of the Catholic Church in Ireland - totally wrong for Harte to bringing religion into sport.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 20, 2017, 08:29:49 PM
Quote from: reddgnhand on July 20, 2017, 07:48:36 PM
Ronan McNamee

A serious chunk of the population of Ireland have suffered at the hands of the Catholic Church in Ireland - totally wrong for Harte to bringing religion into sport.

I'm sure many people have been abused by mentors/trainers when playing underage sports?

Is it wrong to bring sports into schools?

Or is intolerance of a person's religous beliefs what drives you?

BennyCake

Ronan McNamee

It's a weird one alright. Didn't they ban prayers in the Dail a whole ago? Pray if you want to pray, but enforcing a team/group of differing beliefs (I'd imagine) to do so, is baffling.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: BennyCake on July 20, 2017, 08:55:14 PM
Ronan McNamee

It's a weird one alright. Didn't they ban prayers in the Dail a whole ago? Pray if you want to pray, but enforcing a team/group of differing beliefs (I'd imagine) to do so, is baffling.

Guys like you seem to be the ones who are pushing the line that players are forced to do it against their will.

Wildweasel74

What he praying to God for, could he not get a quick word from him in the sky studio, to the team before the game, sort of a penance for all the forthcoming misgivings and sins we are about to commit !!! Save all this rosary craic, whats peter think (word of god and all) lol