Monaghan v Down - Sat 29th July - Croke Park - 17:00

Started by GrandMasterFlash, July 18, 2017, 02:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: Mourne Rover on July 18, 2017, 10:52:24 PM
Owen Brannigan's suggestion that a majority of Down fans had left the ground with more than ten minutes to go, leading to players dropping their heads with one receiving a black card and the rest accepting defeat, bears no resemblance to what actually happened. McKernan's black card came after 41 minutes, Tyrone quickly went nine clear and the contest was effectively over.  Some Down fans certainly drifted away but most stayed to the end. For what it is worth,  Down, rather than throwing in the towel, outscored Tyrone by seven points to 1-2 in the last ten minutes. Congratulations to Tyrone, who were by far the better side on the day and won very comfortably, but Down supporters are still proud of everything achieved by our team so  far this season in entirely unexpected circumstances.

The game was over and played like a training game for the last ten minutes.  Down knocked over a number of scores and got some handy frees.  When the game was played at full tilt they were unable to score much.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Boycey

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 25, 2017, 10:31:28 AM
Quote from: Boycey on July 23, 2017, 08:49:33 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 21, 2017, 10:07:29 PM
Jack hasn't been very visible, neither was McManus in the last game.
There are more than a few close calls as to who will start the game.
I'd say Doogan and Malone to retain their starting place and Conor McCarthy has made a strong enough case to start.

The problem with starting McCarthy is that he doesn't have 70 mins in him and he'll likely have to be replaced on 45/50 mins at a stage where you want your best attackers on the field. Monaghan seem to have a few forwards who operate better from the bench than they do when starting Owen Duffy being a prime example.

Why would McCarthy not have 70 minutes in him? Sure he's only a young buck.

Ah he's only 21, a slight enough fella and probably still developing physically. I just feel he drifts out of the game late on if he's a starter..

tonto1888

Quote from: Mourne Rover on July 18, 2017, 10:52:24 PM
Owen Brannigan's suggestion that a majority of Down fans had left the ground with more than ten minutes to go, leading to players dropping their heads with one receiving a black card and the rest accepting defeat, bears no resemblance to what actually happened. McKernan's black card came after 41 minutes, Tyrone quickly went nine clear and the contest was effectively over.  Some Down fans certainly drifted away but most stayed to the end. For what it is worth,  Down, rather than throwing in the towel, outscored Tyrone by seven points to 1-2 in the last ten minutes. Congratulations to Tyrone, who were by far the better side on the day and won very comfortably, but Down supporters are still proud of everything achieved by our team so  far this season in entirely unexpected circumstances.

5 points in it when he got the black card. Game was already over then I reckon

Main Street

I hope those Down fans don't lose heart in Croke Pk on saturday.

Aristo 60

I fancy Monaghan to go all the way. The great farney men of 1956 will be finally emulated!

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Aristo 60 on July 25, 2017, 03:57:41 PM
I fancy Monaghan to go all the way. The great farney men of 1956 will be finally emulated!

Ah here, they're not the aristocrats of 1960..  ;)

Main Street

Maybe the Down fans will stay on and cheer Armagh in the next game, that would be a touching gesture of sporting solidarity, despite their own tribulations.

Targetman

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Main Street on July 25, 2017, 08:17:30 PM
Maybe the Down fans will stay on and cheer Armagh in the next game, that would be a touching gesture of sporting solidarity, despite their own tribulations.

Maybe the Monaghan fans will, should we win, cheer on Kildare to get a crack at Tyrone?  :o

PAULD123

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 26, 2017, 12:41:26 PM

Maybe the Monaghan fans will, should we win, cheer on Kildare to get a crack at Tyrone?  :o

Sure it makes no odds. If Down win then we are not allowed to play Tyrone so Tyrone will play the winners of Armagh and KIldare. But if Monaghan win then Tyrone could play any of the three teams so there would be a draw to see who takes on Dublin and who takes on Tyrone.

armaghniac

Quote from: PAULD123 on July 26, 2017, 01:44:02 PM

Sure it makes no odds. If Down win then we are not allowed to play Tyrone so Tyrone will play the winners of Armagh and KIldare. But if Monaghan win then Tyrone could play any of the three teams so there would be a draw to see who takes on Dublin and who takes on Tyrone.

Would it not still be the case that Kildare would not be allowed play Dublin, so Tyrone would get Monaghan?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: armaghniac on July 26, 2017, 02:21:05 PM

Would it not still be the case that Kildare would not be allowed play Dublin, so Tyrone would get Monaghan?

That's my understanding. Any, we're on opposite sides of the draw so the winner can only play Dublin or Tyrone, and not any of the three teams as stated above.

armaghniac

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 26, 2017, 02:26:49 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 26, 2017, 02:21:05 PM

That's my understanding. Any, we're on opposite sides of the draw so the winner can only play Dublin or Tyrone, and not any of the three teams as stated above.

I imagine a draw only arises if both Kildare and Down are eliminated.
Armagh and Monaghan can meet in the Semi Final, I suppose.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fuzzman

Who was the last team Monaghan beat in Croke park in the championship?

Crete Boom

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 26, 2017, 05:26:49 PM
Who was the last team Monaghan beat in Croke park in the championship?

Kildare in 2014??