London v Galway 25th May 2014

Started by 30mog, May 03, 2014, 01:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

30mog

Hi all

I am not a bit Irish (as far as I know), from Sheffield but very much an armchair fan of GAA.  Can anyone tell me if I'll need a ticket in advance to attend the upcoming London v Galway game at South Ruislip?  And if so a further contact?

Been to Casement and Croke Park before now.  Unbelievably, travelling from Sheffield to Belfast or Dublin sometimes works out cheaper than to London!  Thus, don't want to waste the journey.

Syferus

Tickets will be available at the ground. Hardly any game besides the AI finals or a semi with Dublin playing that don't.

30mog

Cheers!

Went to Croke Park on a day that included a semi-final and a semi-final replay a few years ago.  Dublin actually lost in the quarters.  Still bought a ticket in advance to play it safe, but seem to remember about 15,000 more could have got in on the day.

Know the facilities at South Ruislip are basic by comparison but have also been to watch Lancashire in Minor Championship before now.  Don't care as long as I can see the pitch!

rodney trotter

Ruislip should be in better shape by the start of the Championship in 2015, 5 million redevelopment on the grounds,beginning in September I believe.

ziggy90

Ruislip is a sound place to watch a game as regards a view of the pitch, but it is open to the elements. No stand as such just a grassy bank, but it's plenty big enough to hold the crowd that will be there. As regards tickets, there is no need to buy them in advance (I don't think they even print them). I'm based in Birmingham and will also be down for that game. You can do Ruislip from here in just over the hour by car.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Rossfan

Does everyone using the clubhouse that day also have to buy a match ticket to get in.
The official attendance each year always seems higher than the crowd watching the game.
I suppose Galway will win this one handy enough??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Galway lost a senior challenge to Cavan yesterday 2-14 to 1-12.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Old yeller

Quote from: Rossfan on May 04, 2014, 02:39:21 PM
Does everyone using the clubhouse that day also have to buy a match ticket to get in.
The official always seems higher than the crowd watching the game.
I suppose Galway will win this one handy enough??
Galway should definitely win it but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a close game throughout. A lot of teams seem to struggle when they go to Ruislip, be it the bad pitch or what I dont know. They took Mayo to extra time a few years ago in Ruislip

30mog

Original poster here,

Owing to a change of plans.  I am now planning to attend the London - Laois hurling game a week earlier instead.  Trust pretty much the same applies about turning up and paying at the gate?

As for getting there.  I'm not good at driving really long distance.  So, driving to Banbury - hopefully in about 1hr 50mins from my front door.  Then switching to the train there.   However, if I change my mind and drive all the way is parking ample at or near the ground?

DJGaliv

Galway lost to Meath in a challenge 17 points to 13.

Can anyone tell me why we have blanket wall to wall coverage of league and championship and then the results of these challenge games are verging on a rumour.

Galway should beat London by 4 points I'd say, nothing more. Wouldn't be too surprised to see extra time or an upset. Sad times for Galway football.

Syferus

Quote from: DJGaliv on May 12, 2014, 03:11:00 PM

Can anyone tell me why we have blanket wall to wall coverage of league and championship and then the results of these championship games are verging on a rumour.

Galway should beat London by 4 points I'd say, nothing more. Wouldn't be too surprised to see extra time or an upset. Sad times for Galway football.

Given they're just glorified open training sessions it is to be expected. There's so many changes in challenge matches it would give a wrong impression of teams if the results were broadcast loudly. That benefits no one.

Do we learn the results of AvB training training matches regularly?

DJGaliv

Quote from: Syferus on May 12, 2014, 03:14:22 PM

Can anyone tell me why we have blanket wall to wall coverage of league and championship and then the results of these championship games are verging on a rumour.

Given they're just glorified open training sessions it is to be expected. There's so many changes in challenge matches it would give a wrong impression of teams if the results were broadcast loudly. The benefits no one.

Do we learn the results of AvB training training matches regularly?

It's counties playing each other in the few weeks leading up to championship. It's hardly an A v B training game.

Even if there are many changes a few results if not reports should be released.

A wrong impression? Sure christ they shouldn't have released any scores of any Galway games so for fear it would be a wrong impression.

magpie seanie

Can anyone tell me why we have blanket wall to wall coverage of league and championship and then the results of these challenge games are verging on a rumour.

I think ye will get it tight to get out of there. In a way I hope ye do it because that will mean we are underdogs in the next game which seems to suit our inferiority complex well. That said we'd love a shot at London to make up for last years debacle. It's impossible to be sure how good/bad London will be but if they are at last seasons championship level it will be very tough to beat them.

seafoid

I'd say London could beat Galway the way things are at the moment.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GalwayBayBoy

Meehan is a huge loss to Galway to be honest. Even at 75%  to 80% or whatever he was last year he was still a cut above nearly everyone else on the field in the Armagh and Cork games.

Sounds like they actually led Meath for most of the game yesterday before fading in the last 10 minutes when Meath rattled off 7 or 8 points on the trot.

Galway team was at about half-strength going by this.

Galway: Manus Breathnach, Aonas O'Tiarnaigh, Johnny Duane, James Shaughnessy, Garreth Bradshaw, Gary O'Donnell, Paul Varley, Greg Higgins 0-1, Fiontan O'Curraoin, Michael Lundy, Eddie Hoare, James Kavanagh, Michael Martin 0-2, Shane Walsh 0-3, Danny Cummins 0-4.