Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: sam03/05 on July 16, 2017, 11:50:22 PM
Sky coverage is miles ahead of RTE - proper analysis of games. Although McGuiness is a loss to their coverage. I don't get the anti sky agenda - any time I go to watch something on RTE player it says available island of Ireland only despite the fact that I live in the fking island!
Also just get a fking fire stick l :)
Is it difficult to understand that the TV3 package was available fta including Canavan's absolutely unique brilliant incisive punditry (the sweeper shoulda got in front of his man there), now this same package is available on Sky with the same commentators, similar pundit format, for a subscription fee and that's the main gripe with Sky. A Sky sub costs extra money on top of a tv license and Sky's viewing figures are pathetic, both in Ireland and Britain.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Main Street on July 17, 2017, 01:49:47 AM
Sky coverage is miles ahead of RTE - proper analysis of games. Although McGuiness is a loss to their coverage. I don't get the anti sky agenda - any time I go to watch something on RTE player it says available island of Ireland only despite the fact that I live in the fking island!
Is it difficult to understand that the TV3 package was available fta including Canavan's absolutely unique brilliant incisive punditry (the sweeper shoulda got in front of his man there), now this same package is available on Sky with the same commentators, similar pundit format, for a subscription fee and that's the main gripe with Sky. A Sky sub costs extra money on top of a tv license and Sky's viewing figures are pathetic, both in Ireland and Britain.

What was the TV3 figures like in Britain?
That was never a square ball!!

screenexile

Sky kicks RTE's ass in terms of coverage. They've better commentators/better analysts and an all round better format. If it was transported lock stock across to RTE it would be an infinite improvement.

The only issue with Sky is the fact that their viewership is practically non existent!

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: screenexile on July 17, 2017, 09:12:43 AM
Sky kicks RTE's ass in terms of coverage. They've better commentators/better analysts and an all round better format. If it was transported lock stock across to RTE it would be an infinite improvement.

The only issue with Sky is the fact that their viewership is practically non existent!

They do have one viewer, a Mr Richard Clerkin.

longballin

Quote from: Syferus on July 17, 2017, 01:45:29 AM

It's not surprising that most of the praise for Sky is coming from Tyrone homers and other Ulster counties Joe have offended.

If Sky is better than RTÉ, some here are easily amused by a touch screen and a pretty lady.

Agreed - fail to see what it offers in analysis except stating the obvious and boredom

DuffleKing

Quote from: screenexile on July 17, 2017, 09:12:43 AM

There is something that needs seriously factored into this... 90% (at least) of people i know watching sky are doing so illegally. I'm quite certain that percentage wouldn't extrapolate similarly beyond my own demographics and geography but from casual experience it is a fairly significant number.

Main Street

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 17, 2017, 04:09:56 AM
Quote from: Main Street on July 17, 2017, 01:49:47 AM

What was the TV3 figures like in Britain?
I don't know how many people in Britain used an Irish sky card to gain access to TV3, but Premier Sports carried the satellite subscription service  to the GAA followers in Britain. The Sky viewing figures are pathetic in Britain and also in Ireland.

Sky have not markedly improved on the fta TV3 service in Ireland. Maybe the TV3 presenter, the TV3 commentators, the TV3 pundits and the TV3 format, sounds so much better when you pay for it on Sky, than it did on fta TV3  ::)

Anecdotal reference  to  alleged numbers of delinquents illegally viewing Sky content in the 6 counties cannot be part of any reasoned discussion :)

Syferus

Sky is shite for both viewing and for the promotion of the sport. Duffy sees the 11 million Euros a year they send over and wets himself with excitement and that's the only reason they are involved at all. The best hope to get rid of Sky is if they realise no one is watching and no one is buying their service for GAA coverage, it won't be a decision Duffy's "non-profit" Association will make themselves.

The sad part is so much of that money goes into warping the competitiveness of the championship and given it papers over the obvious cracks in declining viewership and attendance, it can hardly be seen as a net positive for the GAA.

The GAA looks like it needs a calamity to happen before real change will occur. And Dublin are well on the way to producing that.

Taylor

No matter about the merits of payments and only a small % having Sky there is no doubting the quality of the product.

Commentators are on par if not better and the analysis is about 10 times better than the dirge RTE produce.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Syferus on July 17, 2017, 01:55:42 PM
Sky is shite for both viewing and for the promotion of the sport. Duffy sees the 11 million Euros a year they send over and wets himself with excitement and that's the only reason they are involved at all. The best hope to get rid of Sky is if they realise no one is watching and no one is buying their service for GAA coverage, it won't be a decision Duffy's "non-profit" Association will make themselves.

The sad part is so much of that money goes into warping the competitiveness of the championship and given it papers over the obvious cracks in declining viewership and attendance, it can hardly be seen as a net positive for the GAA.

The GAA looks like it needs a calamity to happen before real change will occur. And Dublin are well on the way to producing that.
As a matter of interest, what do you reckon Duffy is doing with the Sky money? I was of the opinion that this, along with all other income was reinvested in the organisation but perhaps I'm wrong and Duffy is maybe drinking it or something. Can you enlighten me please.
Careful now

Esmarelda

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on July 17, 2017, 02:15:48 PM

As a matter of interest, what do you reckon Duffy is doing with the Sky money? I was of the opinion that this, along with all other income was reinvested in the organisation but perhaps I'm wrong and Duffy is maybe drinking it or something. Can you enlighten me please.
I saw him in Boylesports with notes falling out of his pockets. He left and entered a limo sipping champagne and snorting coke off a young lady's bum.

Syferus

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on July 17, 2017, 02:15:48 PM

Reinvested in what county?

Main Street

Sky is shite for both viewing and for the promotion of the sport. Duffy sees the 11 million Euros a year they send over and wets himself with excitement and that's the only reason they are involved at all.
Yet another person who swallows wholesale the  devious reports in the newspapers that made erroneous claims as to what the Sky package is worth to the GAA.

The GAA make about EUR 11m in TOTAL from all media sales.

The GAA do not make anything of substance from the deal with Sky, over and above what they would get from fta TV3.

Fuzzman

Sorry if this was answered before but is sky 5 available over in England?
Is it not in the GAA's interests to be promoting our game outside of Ireland as well.
A lot of ex pats would gladly pay to watch games live on sky I'd say.

screenexile

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 17, 2017, 04:41:22 PM
Sorry if this was answered before but is sky 5 available over in England?
Is it not in the GAA's interests to be promoting our game outside of Ireland as well.
A lot of ex pats would gladly pay to watch games live on sky I'd say.

All the live SKY games are available to anyone with the Sky Sports package.