Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: ballinaman on May 23, 2014, 09:22:12 AM
Don't mind Roz... Now here's a woman...road frontage and all.

Now I see why you are into running.
MWWSI 2017

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 22, 2014, 11:06:25 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 22, 2014, 10:02:44 PM
Rachel wyse's accent is a bit grating , but I have read her column in sat indo and was slightly impressed with her knowledge and opinions on various sports but esp hurling and football. So I'd have to say if she actually writes these articles, then she knows enough to merit her job at sky IMO !!

Nothing wrong with her strong Kildare accent!!!
unless D4 now extends into the curragh....

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Main Street

It's ironic that Joe has managed to transform a minor newsworthy story, a very missable publicity event  on the scale of events in Ireland,  into a hailstorm of publicity for Sky GAA.

What are the odds that Joe will be sitting in the Sky Sports studio as a pundit one day?

J OGorman

Absolutely zero chance of that happening

babarino

Quote from: Main Street on May 23, 2014, 06:14:59 PM
It's ironic that Joe has managed to transform a minor newsworthy story, a very missable publicity event  on the scale of events in Ireland,  into a hailstorm of publicity for Sky GAA.

What are the odds that Joe will be sitting in the Sky Sports studio as a pundit one day?

It would surprise me. Sky don't do unpredictable, which you can't say about Brolly.

BennyHarp

'I'm in exalted company'
24 May 2014

Rachel Wyse has broken her silence on Joe Brolly's controversial 'Baywatch babe' remark about her.

The outspoken RTE pundit was forced to apologise to the Sky presenter earlier this week after he criticised Sky Sports' new GAA line-up. The former Derry All-Ireland winner had tweeted: "SKY = TV3 plus Baywatch babe" before saying sorry in a later tweet.

Dubliner Wyse had maintained a dignified silence until today when she reflected on the controversy in her Irish Independent column:

"Monday was a perfect day," she wrote in reference to the launch of Sky Sports' GAA coverage at Croke Park.

"Sadly, things changed very quickly. I knew Joe Brolly to be a skilful footballer whom I suspect knows all too well what it's like to be on the receiving end of an off-the-ball 'introduction' - so it was a little ironic that it was a fleeted-footed corner-forward that rolled out a 'welcome' to the world of the GAA.

"Naively, I thought these abilities were the patented forte of corner-backs. I don't know Brolly; I have never met the man. I do know him to be an articulate and opinionated RTE analyst, who shoots straight from the hip - as is his prerogative.

"I have no problem with people's opinions once they are well-founded and without bias. I learned a valuable lesson a long time ago working in the media - some people will like you and some people won't and the sooner you accept the latter, then the easier your career was likely to be.

"Brolly's reference to a 'Baywatch babe' is old ground for the female presenters on Sky Sports News. We cannot control such sentiments. Initially, when I joined Sky Sports, these references were hurtful, now I feel they are nothing more but an insight into the character of the people who express these opinions.

"People see different things in the same picture. But disappointingly, our appearance is deemed to be the reference point as to our ability to do our jobs. I wonder does the same logic apply to female presenters on BBC, ITV or, indeed, RTE. Or perhaps, in some minds, all female presenters across all platforms of programmes are there to entice a male audience.

"I wonder if Brolly was sitting down to pick a ladies football team, would he be happy to disregard someone based upon their appearance? I suspect not and it's disappointing he chose me as an exception.

"Then again, I am in exalted company, as I recall that he identified Sean Cavanagh as an 'exception' in the not too distant past. Watching Cavanagh rescue Tyrone last Sunday, he appears to be a man unscathed. So, hopefully, a month from now, when I reflect on this week, my fate will take a similar route."

She added: "I am well aware of the level of debate that the Sky Sports link-up with the GAA has created and people of Brolly's ilk will ensure the standards of those working on this project are maintained at the highest possible level. And for that, I am grateful. As I was to read his public apology."
That was never a square ball!!

muppet

I knew little about Rachel Wyse, until this week, and had no opinion on her.

Brolly's spat with her changed that, and there is no doubt who has come out of it better.
MWWSI 2017

tommysmith

Good girl Rachel.

Captain Scarlet

Yeah she has come out as a consummate professional broadcaster and Brolly like an idiot. I think he failed to realise that he is not such a big deal and when he went at a Sky TV person they were happy to make hay of it.
As was said it was a total win for them as they were hoping to come across as 'new and fresh' compared to 'stale old RTE'. Then he comes out...played into their hands.
I like Brolly in moderation but too often he ends up not talking about the game at all and goes on some rant on one incident. Also for a GAA man(which he no doubt is) he fairly goes to town on the sport and is happy to brandish it all shite.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

hairyUlsterman

I am completely against the Sky Sports move and Brolly is my favourite sports pundit of all time just to add

BartSimpson

Fair play to ms Wyse, that's a hell of a comeback. I wonder will Rachel expect Joes comeback  :o ;D LOL
guwan the parish

Wildweasel74

You know she can present  GAA if she well capable, but i have doubts she could name the Dublin midfield, who Mark Poland plays for, whos martin Dunne etc, could she name the players of her own county?

Zulu

So? She isn't meant to be the expert in the room.

Glensman

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 24, 2014, 10:16:54 PM
You know she can present  GAA if she well capable, but i have doubts she could name the Dublin midfield, who Mark Poland plays for, whos martin Dunne etc, could she name the players of her own county?

You think Des Cahill could tell you who Mark Poland plays for? Come to think of it Spillane and O'Rourke would struggle