Worst All Ireland football final since 2003

Started by 45 metres, September 20, 2010, 04:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qwerty28

2nd half yesterday was well above average, exciting finish and huge intensity throughout the game. Sure 04, 06 and 07 finals were more or less over by half time!

seafoid

This ulster bitching and sniping against Down is very shoddy. No wonder the Unionists got away with jerrymandering for so long. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

In the Onion Bag

Quote from: seafoid on September 20, 2010, 08:55:01 PM
This ulster bitching and sniping against Down is very shoddy. No wonder the Unionists got away with jerrymandering for so long.

Well said and from a neutral to boot.

ziggysego

Quote from: seafoid on September 20, 2010, 08:55:01 PM

Two people!
Testing Accessibility

T Fearon

Seafoid, surely gerrymandering has the aim of creating a permanent in built majority, therefore if nationalism is totally united they still couldn't win an election?

We've had a lot of problematic gerries up here, mandering, Fitt, Adams, Mc Elhinney, Anderson...

sammymaguire

Worst all Ireland winners since 1990!!! Cork langers would sicken ya

Is Joe Brolly on here much, his interview on drivetime sport was a re-hash of the stuff on here today especially the analysis of the match and the barrier in front of the hill  ;)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Bogball XV

Quote from: mrgaa1 on September 20, 2010, 04:19:19 PM
hurling final is always better as its played with an intensity that no other sport can match.
i'm hoping your taking the piss, we've had some awful hurling finals over the last decade.

Some terrible football finals two in fairness.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: the colonel on September 20, 2010, 05:06:48 PM
Should never have took off Paul McComiskey

Disagree.

Made a poor decision not to pass to a man inside for a goal in the semi. We were lucky to get away with it.

Yesterday made an even worse decision not to pass to a man inside for a goal. We didn't get away with it.

Its not often you get a chance to learn from your mistakes. He did get that chance, he didn't learn.
i usse an speelchekor

tyroneboi

Watch it again and you will see that pass wasn't on in the first half into Coulter. He was Downs most dangerous inside forward and to take a man off when he scored 3 from play and was destroying his man was strange to say the least.

INDIANA

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 20, 2010, 11:12:32 PM
Quote from: the colonel on September 20, 2010, 05:06:48 PM
Should never have took off Paul McComiskey

Disagree.

Made a poor decision not to pass to a man inside for a goal in the semi. We were lucky to get away with it.

Yesterday made an even worse decision not to pass to a man inside for a goal. We didn't get away with it.

Its not often you get a chance to learn from your mistakes. He did get that chance, he didn't learn.

cant agree. was roasting them. You never take off a guy who is playing well unless he is injured. Never.

moysider

I ve been at most football finals last 20 years. I wouldn't diss yesterdays game. But it was well off  the Kerry/Tyrone finals and while the Cork players had a great need I was surrounded by Cork and Down supporters who look like they could take it or leave it. Nobody was going to be too upset if their side lost. There was no great passion from the crowd.
The occasion itself is becoming a long dragged out affair. The gap between minor and senior matches is ridiculous. Just so the TV audience have to listen to Pat and Brolly talk shite. Not much fun if you re actually at the game and being subjected to continuous noise - very loud over the PA. Most people want to see football not listen to drum beating, and wild riverdanceesque stuff. Not to mention U2  and stuff. That shite certainly didn't help my vertigo high up in the Cusack which really kicked in at ht in the Senior. It s utter muck.
Coulter was excellent. If he got on the ball a few more plays Down probably would have won. Down got a lot right but a few things wrong. Poland and McCumiskey were having very fine matches. King picked up a knock but those lads were good to go on. Unfortunately John Clarke contributed little and just couldn't make or time a run. He left no space around Coulter who would have run riot if he was left isolated inside. They should have played McC and Coulter inside because McC can show for ball into the corners, peeling away as either a ruse or a genuine target. Down management will kick themselves over this and think that if they played Murtagh around the half forward line instead of selecting Clarke they may have succeeded. Cork layed big attention to Marty Clarke and there was no sweeper around the 2 inside. Somebody with a bit about him inside with Coulter would have created chances big time and Cork could have had a mountain to climb at half time. I believe they could not have handled much more than they did.

Barney

QuoteNobody was going to be too upset if their side lost. There was no great passion from the crowd.

I think the GAA is going that way.

League attendances - which are generally reflective of the hardcore supporter - are way down it seems to me and for many who go along to the big games during the Summer it is a day out, entertainment. If you win, great but its forgotten the next day. If you lose, so what, give out about the manager and go and get drunk.

Applesisapples

03 was not a poor final, just a poor result!! :D I would agree with those posters who mentioned the lack of passion, I was enthralled with the hurling final and the passion was evident,even watching it on TV. There was no passion on Sunday, a good Cork team under performed and seemed to have stage fright. A Down team over reliant on Coulter and Clarke were found out as a whole. In addition James McCartan who is an astute manager was caught out tactically. The minor match was a superior game.

haranguerer

45m isn't far wrong. Not dissing either side, sometimes games just arent great, but it wasn't a great spectacle. Neither side seemed to ever really get going. I was rooting for Down too, but even while leading well, looked very vulnerable when cork got the ball up.

Coulter was not good at all, by his own standards. I can only assume anyone who says he was hasn't seen that much of him play. To say he ws found out is a bit much though.

bcarrier

Lads I dont know how you could say there was no passion in the crowd ....people show it in different ways though and there was no ugly banter between the crowd around me ( there usually is some soccer stray getting on everyones nerves) . To my mind it was unbelievably tense and the delight of the cork supporters around me was there for all to see. Mind you there was a point in the first half where the langers were ready to turn on their own ...just about the time Miskella miscued.