GAA clubs named after Republican figures

Started by BennyCake, October 05, 2016, 05:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Interesting thread.

Were any of these figures involved in Gaelic games?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on October 31, 2018, 08:38:39 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 31, 2018, 05:38:13 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on October 31, 2018, 03:38:52 PM
Quote from: Hardy on October 30, 2018, 08:52:50 AM
Quote from: mrhardyannual on October 30, 2018, 01:54:39 AM
Any club named after a woman.... other than a saint?

I can't think of any. Strange, considering there's even one named after a British prime minister.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Castleblayney Faughs were once called Gladstonians!

Used that little known online tool called google and it states that there was a team called Gladstonians in Blayney but that they were actually a different club as such and folded in the late 19th century and the Faughs were founded in 1905

I was close enough, I think I read that on Blayney's website a long time ago and used it in a quiz. My father-in-law told once that in the early years of the GAA Cross refused to travel to play Keady because it was full of Fenians!

I'd have refused to play in Keady as it's full of pure hallions 🤣

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 31, 2018, 10:07:17 PM
Interesting thread.

Were any of these figures involved in Gaelic games?

Kevin Lynch definitely was. I'm sure you could google the rest. Obviously any of the clubs named after participants in the 1798 rebellion would not have been involved in the GAA

What also would be interesting is to determine how many clubs are actually named after republicans from a Protestant background....Wolfe Tone, Robert Emmett, Henry Joy McCracken, William Orr....there's plenty more I'm sure. 

Baile Brigín 2

Ok, it was a leading question. Other than Lynch, which is another days work, none were. Open to be disproven

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 01, 2018, 10:22:49 AM
Ok, it was a leading question. Other than Lynch, which is another days work, none were. Open to be disproven

Probably not but you have to consider the time that many of the clubs were created. Many of them were founded during a period of history where their language, games and customs were openly prohibited. Naming a club after a local rebel would have been a way to recognise the fight at a time where here was no other way. Would you for instance be critical of James Stephens for naming their club after a local Fenian way back in the 1880's?  Of course not. Historically, whether we accept it or not, GAA clubs have been closely associated with the history of the revolutions within our country. The organisation may have moved forward but history cannot be changed.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 01, 2018, 10:38:22 AM

Probably not but you have to consider the time that many of the clubs were created. Many of them were founded during a period of history where their language, games and customs were openly prohibited. Naming a club after a local rebel would have been a way to recognise the fight at a time where here was no other way. Would you for instance be critical of James Stephens for naming their club after a local Fenian way back in the 1880's?  Of course not. Historically, whether we accept it or not, GAA clubs have been closely associated with the history of the revolutions within our country. The organisation may have moved forward but history cannot be changed.

I understand all that. Soccer was equally involved in the revolutionary period, certainly moreso in the rising, and they didnt go down that route.

The principle is not the issue. But it could be classed as presumptive. Would lobg dead figure x want to be assosciated with a club in an area and sport that had nothing to do eith them? What had Rodger Casement got to do with Belfast, Gaelic Games (in fact sport in general)and dodgy planning applications?

Its food for thought.

haranguerer

Only if you're slow.

Why was the GAA set up?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: haranguerer on November 01, 2018, 10:49:15 AM
Only if you're slow.

Why was the GAA set up?
The same reasons dozens of organisations were set up. Cultural nationalism. Did any others chose catholic saints and specific historical figures to name their units?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 01, 2018, 10:45:16 AM

I understand all that. Soccer was equally involved in the revolutionary period, certainly moreso in the rising, and they didnt go down that route.

The principle is not the issue. But it could be classed as presumptive. Would lobg dead figure x want to be assosciated with a club in an area and sport that had nothing to do eith them? What had Rodger Casement got to do with Belfast, Gaelic Games (in fact sport in general)and dodgy planning applications?

Its food for thought.

The same argument could be made in respect of the myriad of clubs name after Saints and members of the Catholic religion. Given the secularisation of society and the scandals that have surrounded the church should all clubs named after a Saint be asked to question the name of their club, and that includes many soccer clubs also.  The reality is that clubs were named to reflect the societies at the time. Society has changed and always will. There's no welders left in Harland and Wolff these days but the team still plays under that name....should they be called something like Tillysburn United as there's no welders left?  Maybe Arsenal should change their name seeing as they're named so because it originated from an armaments factory in Woolwich where no doubt there were bombs and bullets manufactures that maimed and killed millions?

Food for thought .....

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 01, 2018, 11:06:14 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 01, 2018, 10:45:16 AM

Its food for thought.

The same argument could be made in respect of the myriad of clubs name after Saints and members of the Catholic religion. Given the secularisation of society and the scandals that have surrounded the church should all clubs named after a Saint be asked to question the name of their club, and that includes many soccer clubs also.  The reality is that clubs were named to reflect the societies at the time. Society has changed and always will. There's no welders left in Harland and Wolff these days but the team still plays under that name....should they be called something like Tillysburn United as there's no welders left?  Maybe Arsenal should change their name seeing as they're named so because it originated from an armaments factory in Woolwich where no doubt there were bombs and bullets manufactures that maimed and killed millions?

Food for thought .....
Agreed. But as I couldnt care less about IFA and English soccer, Im not joining a site to debate it with them.

But my point is at least the names of the two examples you gave were the history of the clubs. I think its fair to say that the naming convention in the GAA of catholic and republican figures was an excercise in branding, and it has arkward elements to where the GAA is trying to position itself now, especially in the 6. If there was even a local link to most of the names, but there isnt.

brokencrossbar1

I'm not quoting your post as it becomes to unwieldy!  The thing is the naming process was reflective of the day. What local connection do St Patrick have to where St Pats are based in Dublin? Very few GAA clubs have any connection to any of the Saints they are named after. It is what it is and maybe instead of being offended by names etc people should look at the bigger picture and realise that the world today is significantly different than it was 100 odd years ago when many of these clubs were established

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 01, 2018, 11:40:36 AM
I'm not quoting your post as it becomes to unwieldy!  The thing is the naming process was reflective of the day. What local connection do St Patrick have to where St Pats are based in Dublin? Very few GAA clubs have any connection to any of the Saints they are named after. It is what it is and maybe instead of being offended by names etc people should look at the bigger picture and realise that the world today is significantly different than it was 100 odd years ago when many of these clubs were established
St Patricks hospital down the road from them I would wager.

But what was it reflecting? And why did no other organisation do this?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 01, 2018, 11:46:54 AM

At the time that the GAA was established and, consequently,  many of these clubs the Gaelic games were a clear expression of the Irish identity. Soccer wasn't, rugby wasn't, hence why these types of clubs were never going to be called after Wolfe Tone et al. Our organisation is intrinsically linked with the political and cultural struggle and that's a fact. What's the big deal in this?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 01, 2018, 11:51:15 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 01, 2018, 11:46:54 AM

At the time that the GAA was established and, consequently,  many of these clubs the Gaelic games were a clear expression of the Irish identity. Soccer wasn't, rugby wasn't, hence why these types of clubs were never going to be called after Wolfe Tone et al. Our organisation is intrinsically linked with the political and cultural struggle and that's a fact. What's the big deal in this?
Who says its a big deal?

Soccer absolutely was, moreso in 1916 as it was a Dublin party. They had a huge growth in clubs at the time as well.

But yiu answered my question. Linking the GAA to revolutionary actuvity they had limited or no involvement in to make the sports appear more puritanically catholic and Irish, regardless of reality on the ground.

Zulu

This seems fairly inaccurate from what I have read. The GAA were intrinsically linked to revolutionary activity from it's set up to the Easter rising and beyond. It may have over stated it's official role over time but there were many IRA men playing county GAA and a number of Collins squad (in Dublin) were GAA men.