What do New York bring to the Championship

Started by Unlaoised, April 16, 2019, 12:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unlaoised

Is this excercise not just a waste of time at this stage.....

Mayo go over it costs them a fortune the players have a few beers ...Hammer a New York team who don't even go into the back door draw then.....

What if they won a game what would happen then !Is stupid and pointless!

Scrap!
LAOIS ABÚ

GalwayBayBoy

johnnycool

Quote from: Unlaoised on April 16, 2019, 12:13:14 PM

Mayo go over it costs them a fortune the players have a few beers ...Hammer a New York team who don't even go into the back door draw then.....

Scrap!

Subsidised by Croke Park, or was when NY played in the now defunct Ulster Hurling Championship.

Bit of PR and craic.

sekibanki

Good question. We have the bones of an excellent All-Ireland championship structure with 32 teams including London (which isn't so ridiculous in terms of travel time and at least stands a fighting chance of winning games).

Let New York play an exhibition match every year if its a good moneyspinner. Maybe people in the states then can watch them get hammered by Tyrone or Dublin instead of Mayo and Roscommon for  change, although if it was non-competitive, counties might decide to fly a weaker team out and it might be more of acontest, with some younger player to watch out for or some older names to bring a bit of star quality and brand recognition.

One thing which another of those weird GAA anachronisms is that New York is far from the only city in the US with a GAA community and sufficient clubs to sustain a quasi-County structure. Is it not unfair that NY field a team in the all-Ireland championship, while Chicago, Boston, San Fran, Toronto etc. don't have the opportunity?

GetOverTheBar

I'd imagine the cost of one county team over a year subsidised is a small price to pay for the goodwill and thereafter cash the American 'market' brings the GAA.

If they didn't send a team over every now and then you'd imagine the cash would dry up.

Personally think New York should be rotated into different provinces though for the sake of variety. But in a sporting sense...they probably bring not a great deal bar the piss up as prior mentioned.

Kidder81

It gets Marty Morrissey yet another holiday

seafoid

New York is hardly the biggest problem facing the championship

I have gone to see London playing in Ruislip a few times in May/early June and the arrival of the GAA bandwagon with the championship is very appreciated by local Gaels. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Kickham csc

Last three years
2016: New York 0-17 Roscommon 1-15, Gaelic Park, NY [6]

2017: New York 1-13 Sligo 1-21 , Gaelic Park, NY.

2018: New York 1-15 Leitrim 0-19, Gaelic Park, NY.

So have been competitive lately.

Also, Irish American lads are starting to come through and have played in these matches. So just when all the youth development work seems to be coming through, People think now is a good time to  stop playing championship against Irish opposition????

weareros

Quote from: Kickham csc on April 16, 2019, 01:18:57 PM
Last three years
2016: New York 0-17 Roscommon 1-15, Gaelic Park, NY [6]

2017: New York 1-13 Sligo 1-21 , Gaelic Park, NY.

2018: New York 1-15 Leitrim 0-19, Gaelic Park, NY.

So have been competitive lately.

Also, Irish American lads are starting to come through and have played in these matches. So just when all the youth development work seems to be coming through, People think now is a good time to  stop playing championship against Irish opposition????

It's actually a great championship day out and I somewhat envy counties outside Connacht that they don't get to experience it. Gaelic Park in the Bronx is a relic of bygone days - somewhat of a shithole really - although God be with the days when Dermot Early had to prevent a diplomatic incident after some traveling Irish players complained about the state of the ground, John Kerry O'Donnell was incensed, threatened to cancel the exhibition game, and Dermot had to appease him by telling him what a fine stadium it was. It's a good day out for the supporters who travel, drinking beer, eating very "well done" burgers, and enjoying some "dacent" football. Must say was very uncomfortable at the 2016 game, which was a cold bitter day in New York and they should have beaten us, what was then a Div 1 Roscommon team. One of these days a shock will happen. Not this year, however.

joemamas

Stupid and Pointless ?
Maybe your Q should be,

"What has the NY GAA done for Irish immigrants over the decades" ?

To start with, if you go back a generation, most tickets to NY were one way, in fact, I would say that was the case up until the late 80's, when you probably went back home once every two or three years, because you either could not afford to, or you status did not exactly encourage it.

In those days, Gaelic Park in NY was the place that you inevitably ended up on a Sunday, to meet people from home, to get a game of football, to get a job, a girls phone number,  It was essiantially an unofficail social center for Irish people.
This was the pre cell phones, pre social media, you would just show up, and meet hundreds of other recent immigrants in a similar situation, often homesick and insecure, financially or otherwise. You made friends, in some cases lifelong friends from counties you never even visited living in Ireland. A trip there on a Sunday was in a way like therapy.

Even in recent decades, It has helped employ thousands of summer students in jobs they may not have gotten only for GAA connections.
There was also was a time before the Celtic tiger, that being asked to go to NY and play with a club team there was a bit of an honor. 

So without turning this into an article on the social aspect of it all, it is a small price to pay by the GAA in Ireland to help cover the cost of a trip by county teams to play NY.

It still is a wonderful day out, and in a lot of cases due to marriage, family, kids, people not living in the immeadiate area, it is the only day to meet people you played with, hung out with and helped to promote Gaelic games in NY.

Will a NY team ever beat a team from Ireland. They came so close last year, but in reality the answer is probably no.

But the first Sunday in May in Gaelic Park is about a lot more than a Gaelic football match, It is a testament to survival, the survival of Immigrants, the survival and promotion of Gaelic games and Gaelic culture in NY. Long may it continue.

blast05

Given that there will be between 5-10,000 of us Mayo folk travelling out for this (there seems to be way way more than any other trip i can recall), then could we arrange for say 6pm on the Saturday evening in Times Square for a good aul blast out of 'Green and Red of Mayo' ?!! :P

Blowitupref

Scrap!
Mayo could also make a fortune on this trip just look at recent money Kerry made on their trip to the US. If New York ever won they would have to travel to Ireland for their 2nd game. Highly unlikely to be even competitive against the NFL champions this year and I can imagine calls to scrap this game will be repeated plentiful.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

naka

Scrap!
its essential that it continues because the gaa  is more about community than football
remember heading to the states for a summer in the late 80s,, phone call home was simple if I played some ball I would have a job.
for me I would love the new York game to be passed around the provinces as would be brilliant to watch the orchard playing there 
gaa in the states is important to a lot of ex pats,
be it in phillie, boston, new York or san Francisco,
sometimes we lose the run of ourselves over here so its great to head to the US to see how important the gaa still is in these areas.
look at the amount of teams that play in the USA.

Fuzzman

A few of us were discussing that a while back that it would be nice if they could move it around and let other counties get the chance to go out there for a weekend.
Imagine if they decided to hold a B championship final out there. That would motivate a few players and managers to play at that level.

Every year I'm hoping even for a spin over to play London.

Rossfan

I'd say the Connacht Counties would live to see this game rotated among the other 26 Counties.
Once every 31 years would be just grand.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM