The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

I wonder why Kolo wasnt brought on? He's been in good form recently.

That second half was awful to watch

deiseach

Ugh. That's why I don't go out to watch Liverpool on the box. Sickener.

Armamike

Klopp and a few others had a nightmare second half. Taking Lovren off seriously backfired. Also didnt respond to Southampton's change of tactics and got overrun in midfield. Threw that one away.
That's just, like your opinion man.

The Stallion

Another awful performance under Klopp. Still seems to be little criticism of his shambolic tenure to date from other Liverpool supporters. I wonder when they will realise he isn't a very good manager.

StGallsGAA

QuoteMaybe United will do us a favour by beating City at the weekend. ......

Lol.  We did you that favour.  Pity you shit your bags in Southampton.  ;D ;D

GJL

Quote from: StGallsGAA on March 20, 2016, 05:58:13 PM
QuoteMaybe United will do us a favour by beating City at the weekend. ......

Lol.  We did you that favour.  Pity you shit your bags in Southampton.  ;D ;D

Lol.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on March 18, 2016, 03:41:32 PM
A huge test for sure but what a fantastic fixture to look forward too.
Don't believe the nonsense from fans of clubs who aren't in it anymore. This tournament is worth winning.

I read today that if Liverpool win the Europa and City win the Champions league,and both finish outside the Top 4,then the 4th place team in the league will go into the Europa League and not the Champions League...Unlikely for all them events to happen but it's one to watch for sure.

This seems likely now  >:(
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Quote from: gawa316 on March 20, 2016, 03:51:52 PM
I wonder why Kolo wasnt brought on? He's been in good form recently.

That second half was awful to watch
Maybe the thinking was to give Skrtel a run out after coming back from injury.
Glad I didnt get to see it now!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on March 19, 2016, 07:21:41 PM
Quote from: The Stallion on March 19, 2016, 06:45:53 PM
Rodgers gets no credit for "breathtaking attacking football"  because it wasn't anything other than Suárez being Suárez. He was the only reason they finished so high. Surely you realise that now?

Over half the side were rubbish all season, a decent manager would have organised the defence and Suárez would have done the rest.

Suarez was a once in a generation player for Liverpool. But he had completed 2.5 seasons with the team before the 13/14 season. If Rodgers had not brought in Coutinho and Sturridge (who actually stayed fit!), and promoted Sterling, and put together such a dynamic, quick front four, who pressed the ball all the time, there is no guarantee that Suarez would have hit the heights he did. And part of the reason they conceded 50+ goals was because half the team was always bombing forward. Gerrard slotted in in front of the defence to launch attacks, but he was not a defensive central midfielder. Rodgers robbed from Peter to pay Paul, and very nearly pulled it off. A bit like Keegan did in the 90s with Newcastle (Ardiles did similar with Spurs.)

We will never know what might have happened had Suarez elected to stay put, allowing Rodgers to instead focus on strengthening the defensive aspect of the game. Instead, he had to dismantle the whole thing when Sanchez, a lesser, but similar player, went to Arsenal and ended up making a balls of it.

Your argument would be like totally dismissing Jim McGuinness and Donegal after the 2011 season, because they got only one aspect of the game (defense) solved at the expense of the other (attack). Instead, McGuinness sorted out both for the 2012 season and reaped the benefits. Rodgers might have done the same, or maybe not. Liverpool under him were never going to grind out a title challenge like Mourinho, but if Suarez had stayed, it might not have taken a huge defensive improvement to get them over the line.
Why once in a generation? And why was he sold?

StGallsGAA

QuoteWhy once in a generation? And why was he sold
Once in a generation because someone with that amount of talent evert signing for Liverpool is a fluke of epic proportions. He was sold becausebhe couldn't wait to get out of the place.

seafoid

Quote from: StGallsGAA on March 20, 2016, 07:55:28 PM
QuoteWhy once in a generation? And why was he sold
Once in a generation because someone with that amount of talent evert signing for Liverpool is a fluke of epic proportions. He was sold becausebhe couldn't wait to get out of the place.
Why did Man City get the Qataris and not Liverpool?

StGallsGAA

From the Bunker

Main reason I think was that the infrastructure was there. Manchester City inherited the Etihad Stadium from the Commonwealth games. With a capacity of 55,097, the third-largest stadium in the Premier League.  A North Stand third tier has planning approval and work on it is expected to begin by 2017, increasing capacity to around 61,000. Anfield has a capacity of    44,742.

Also City probably was a bit cheaper?

GJL

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 20, 2016, 09:47:00 PM
Main reason I think was that the infrastructure was there. Manchester City inherited the Etihad Stadium from the Commonwealth games. With a capacity of 55,097, the third-largest stadium in the Premier League.  A North Stand third tier has planning approval and work on it is expected to begin by 2017, increasing capacity to around 61,000. Anfield has a capacity of    44,742.

They have plenty of empty seats as it is without making it bigger?

ballinaman

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 20, 2016, 09:47:00 PM

Yeah, those billionaires really care about ticket revenue.... ::)