Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

under the bar

Quite a kerfuffle in the tunnel following the match it seems.  Hopefully the feed from th cameras gets accidentally wiped  ;)

screenexile

Quote from: under the bar on December 12, 2017, 10:49:42 AM
Quite a kerfuffle in the tunnel following the match it seems.  Hopefully the feed from th cameras gets accidentally wiped  ;)

Jose's some neck on him telling the City players to show some respect after his antics over the years . . . any wonder nobody likes him!

ashman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 12, 2017, 10:22:44 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 12, 2017, 10:06:15 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 12, 2017, 10:01:39 AM
United are 2nd, 3 points ahead of Chelsea, 5 points ahead of Liverpool, 6 points ahead of Arsenal and 7 points ahead of Spurs, you'd think we were miles behind everyone the way some of you are going on. There's a reason why 70 points is the most we've achieved in the last 4 years.

LVG & Moyes spent over £320m on players which would probably equate to about £500m in todays market and there's only one top class player bought out of that lot in Martial. The pair of them wasted a fortune.

We're a work in progress and clearly we're a better team than last year but United are still a few players short.

Is buying players the only solution now, is it fair to say managers are no longer expected to make players better? Are the days of an obscure buy now well and truly behind us?

Certainly isn't but its a huge factor with the squad Mourinho inherited. All Fergie's top player had gone and the Moyes & LVG bought mostly dross.

Rojo & Jones have both improved since Mourinho arrived and you could argue that Smalling has too. He's turned Young into a good left back and Fellaini has had much more of an impact then he did under Moyes & LVG.

United's problems go all the way back to summer 2009 when United who were comfortably one of the best 2 teams in Europe let their best player leave and replace him with Valencia & Owen. It wasn't until 2012 when a really top player was bought and even then was nearly 30 whilst City have spent a fortune every summer since 2010 to keep on top.

United are easily in far better shape than anytime since Fergie left.

C

Damning with faint praise .

magpie seanie

Quote from: mrhardyannual on December 11, 2017, 05:42:23 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 11, 2017, 03:33:12 PM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on December 11, 2017, 03:09:23 PM
The sad thing is you just knew there would be some poxy sideshow coming down the tracks after this game. A tunnel bust-up this time.
Mourinho is so predictable and yet the soccer journos lap up his utter shite. I grew up as an avid United fan and I still support them but to be honest if Kildare stay up in Div 1 this year I would be more pleased that anything United do in the Premier League.
As I said I still like the club, but I have no time for the way they go out to play. Look at their attacking options yesterday and see how they ended up playing.
As for Lukaku...I see his stats and it says he is a class act, but then you see him barreling around with the ball pinballing off his shins and into defenders...he has to stick that chance. Imagine van Nistelrooy passing that up...
To be honest I am just jealous of City too and it is impossible to dislike lads like Silva and de Bruyne.

I'd be embarrassed if the club I supported was a vehicle for Qatar, with it's brutal laws and human rights record, to try and promote itself.
You'd have no problem supporting City then as it's owners are from the United Arab Emirates, one of the countries to have broken diplomatic relations with Qatar and currently imposing economic restrictions on them. Perhaps you'd be better worrying about a set of owners who allegedly have drained €1 billion from Utd.

My mistake, happy to accept the correction.

Also - I'm on the record for years here criticising the owners who are robbing the club blind. Again - a huge number of folks on here disagree with me....heads in the sand.

magpie seanie

On the "overreaction" vibe - my opinion hasn't changed since the rumours started about Jose coming to United. I hoped, against my better judgement, that he'd change his philosophy and carry on. When the evidence to support my view is as glaring as last Sunday do people not expect me to reinforce my opinion?

magpie seanie

Clearly United's squad is the best it has been since 2009 or so. Players have some to United based on Mourinho's reputation which is a positive. Realistically though United are not really contenders for the league so my question to the Jose fans is this - when will United contend for the league under Jose? How long do you expect him to hang around?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 12, 2017, 01:18:22 PM
Clearly United's squad is the best it has been since 2009 or so. Players have some to United based on Mourinho's reputation which is a positive. Realistically though United are not really contenders for the league so my question to the Jose fans is this - when will United contend for the league under Jose? How long do you expect him to hang around?

City were not contenders for the league last year, and Utd couldnt get off 6th, both teams have improved, City more so, while the other teams have fallen away, various reasons for the CPL and so on.. Utd's goal difference compared to last year has improved, their ability to score a lot of goals in the second half shows better fitness and better form of the strikers... surely all positive, negative yes course there are going to be some, not going all out against the top six teams, will cost Utd any chance of winning leagues but City have been on a different level and Utd have not really matched what they have done in any season so far

All in all its better than last year and the years before that (after Fergie)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cunny Funt

For some perspective Leicester City the year they won the league had 35 points after 16 games the same total as Man United right now. Man City have raised the bar this season from previous years, just 2 points dropped and the way they are going could break the Premier league points and goals total records.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 12, 2017, 01:13:24 PM
On the "overreaction" vibe - my opinion hasn't changed since the rumours started about Jose coming to United. I hoped, against my better judgement, that he'd change his philosophy and carry on. When the evidence to support my view is as glaring as last Sunday do people not expect me to reinforce my opinion?

But what about all the other games where we've dominated, scored a lot of goals and been very enjoyable to watch? Its only been a handful of games where he's adopted a negative approach. We had to put up with dross every week whilst LVG was in charge.

United are very much still a work in progress for him and with the wins over Spurs and Arsenal in recent weeks there's been signs our performances against the other top 6 will improve.

We opened up against Chelsea without Pogba and we were comprehensively outplayed so he was never going to play the same way against the best team in the league.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 12, 2017, 10:01:39 AM
United are 2nd, 3 points ahead of Chelsea, 5 points ahead of Liverpool, 6 points ahead of Arsenal and 7 points ahead of Spurs, you'd think we were miles behind everyone the way some of you are going on. There's a reason why 70 points is the most we've achieved in the last 4 years.

LVG & Moyes spent over £320m on players which would probably equate to about £500m in todays market and there's only one top class player bought out of that lot in Martial. The pair of them wasted a fortune.

We're a work in progress and clearly we're a better team than last year but United are still a few players short.

That's about right

StGallsGAA

That big lad up front is....untouchable!  ;D

Milltown Row2

Nothing easier tonight, Bournemouth played well and their current form tested Utd.. Rasfords rocket I thought hit the back of the net and came out!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Boycey

Mourinho said in post match conference that Baillys injury might be long term  :-\

Average performance on an average night.

GJL

Did not see it. How did Shaw play?

Boycey

Quote from: GJL on December 13, 2017, 10:27:32 PM
Did not see it. How did Shaw play?

Average  :D

Ah did ok, Jones, De Gea too maybe Mata. Nothing to write home about. Bournemouth decent had a go might have nicked one.