Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

Awful awful stuff tonight. Played some decent stuff in first 15 or 20 minutes but after that they couldn't have played in any worse. I have no problem with us getting beat by a better team when we at least make a go if it. This tyrone team just seems to have too many players that don't have the balls for the battle. It's been the same at u21 level with good minors not stepping up at all. Harte would be an easy target but the players have to take a large portion of the blame too.

If this was a one off performance and you thought Harte wasn't bothered with little emphasis on the league it would be ok but it's happened to many times in recent games and we do care about the league. Kerry last year, Armagh last year etc, to many shocking performances with boys disappearing once it's put up to them.

I thought we were going to put last years poor performances and after the hurt from it that lot of the younger boys would look hard at themselves and push on this year. Was no encouraging signs. McKenna cup looks like another false dawn with the team quitting once intensity levels raised.

I really hope this is the last time we perform like that last year but very worried it's not. We couldn't win a ball in the middle and win no breaks. We seem to work on smart kickouts with no emphasis on the basics of winning hard dirty ball around the middle.

WT4E

I have to say when I started watching tyrone as a youngster they weren't much good but then I got to witness a great team in the noughties and I am glad I got to watch such a great team.... BUT I have to say the current tyrone team is absolute SHITE!

Club Rossa

Not enough leaders when the chips are down.As I watched last night's game I couldn't help but recall Owen Mulligan's comment that towards the end of his Tyrone career he thought too many of the new boys were just happy to get their Tyrone tracksuit and say they were a county player.

rrhf

Quote from: Redhand Santa on January 31, 2015, 11:11:15 PM
Awful awful stuff tonight. Played some decent stuff in first 15 or 20 minutes but after that they couldn't have played in any worse. I have no problem with us getting beat by a better team when we at least make a go if it. This tyrone team just seems to have too many players that don't have the balls for the battle. It's been the same at u21 level with good minors not stepping up at all. Harte would be an easy target but the players have to take a large portion of the blame too.

If this was a one off performance and you thought Harte wasn't bothered with little emphasis on the league it would be ok but it's happened to many times in recent games and we do care about the league. Kerry last year, Armagh last year etc, to many shocking performances with boys disappearing once it's put up to them.

I thought we were going to put last years poor performances and after the hurt from it that lot of the younger boys would look hard at themselves and push on this year. Was no encouraging signs. McKenna cup looks like another false dawn with the team quitting once intensity levels raised.

I really hope this is the last time we perform like that last year but very worried it's not. We couldn't win a ball in the middle and win no breaks. We seem to work on smart kickouts with no emphasis on the basics of winning hard dirty ball around the middle.
one game into the league and we are ripping into harte and players already. Let's give it a few games folks.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: rrhf on February 01, 2015, 09:06:38 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on January 31, 2015, 11:11:15 PM

one game into the league and we are ripping into harte and players already. Let's give it a few games folks.

Is it one game though?

To me it's 4 of 5 seasons plus 1 game.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

youhavenofans

Personally, i agree aswell in that this has been going on for a few years atleast 2 or 3, and that a change in management is needed at the end of this season.

Also have to agree with an earlier comment regarding how good of a coach Ryan Porter is, and from a few elder dromore men i know they couldnt speak any higher of the man. Harte was stupid not to approach porter and make him part of his team years ago considering the knowledge he has of tyrone football along with his great coaching skills.

Could anyone see malachy o'rouke and ryan porter being tyrone manager and trainer in next few years? even enxt year?

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: youhavenofans on February 03, 2015, 09:59:52 AM
Personally, i agree aswell in that this has been going on for a few years atleast 2 or 3, and that a change in management is needed at the end of this season.

Also have to agree with an earlier comment regarding how good of a coach Ryan Porter is, and from a few elder dromore men i know they couldnt speak any higher of the man. Harte was stupid not to approach porter and make him part of his team years ago considering the knowledge he has of tyrone football along with his great coaching skills.

Could anyone see malachy o'rouke and ryan porter being tyrone manager and trainer in next few years? even enxt year?

Yes. 100%.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

omagh_gael

In hiding

Redhand Santa

Harte is going to be there to the end of the season so no point talking about his position at this stage. Personally I'd rather get behind the team and worry about that later in the year. It's very easy to blame Harte for our poor form over last few years but there is a chance that we maybe just haven't been good enough. The new boys don't seem to have the desire and hunger you'd expect and that was also the case at u21 level. All the best players in tyrone are involved so that isn't the issue.

The thing that annoys me is that if tyrone had own well on Saturday night the boys calling for hartes head would be saying its only the league and too much emphasis is being placed on it. For all we know tyrone have changed there training approach with the aim of peaking in the summer and are currently in very heavy training. My guess is that wasn't the issue but at the end of day it'll be the championship the team is judged on.

I have hated in recent years though the way the team have folded in certain games and took bad beatings. That was never a character of tyrone teams in the past. Hopefully it won't happen again this year. No one minds defeats but the nature of Saturday was what was so annoying.

ONeill

Quote from: shezam on February 03, 2015, 10:30:14 PM
Well summed up http://www.newstalk.ie/player/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/GAA_on_Off_The_Ball/77315/2/Tyrone_in_the_dark

Hard to disagree but this line from O'Rourke and now Canavan that Monaghan went man to man after 20 mins is false. Monaghan had 3 men around any Tyrone attacker in the second half.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Sunny Day

From Saturday nights game it is looking more and more as though Tyrone are certainly going to have a few difficult years ahead.  I feel Mickey has a very tough job ahead of him and I certainly do not feel it is his 'fault'.  Tyrone just don't have those physical players at their disposal nor those work horses that are prepared to go that extra few miles. 

We lack seriously in some areas and non more so than the middle third.  We don't have primary ball winners and in the past this was compensated with players who had the unbelievable skill, nohow, hunger and determination to win secondary possession in terms of break ball, tackling, harassing, blocking runs etc.  As Canavan commented, players with the hunger of P Jordan, B McGuigan, D Harte, B Dooher, E McGinley, K Hughes, C Holmes, C Gormley. M Penrose etc are just not evident anymore. 

A telling sign on Saturday night was when I watched Niall Morgan go on 3 or 4 attacking drives out of his defence and he actually passed at least 7-8 of his own Tyrone players and when he did look up he found himself in 'no mans land' with no one supporting him.  This surely shows the lack of drive, work rate and ambition in this existing squad of players.  Tyrone could struggle to gain any more than maybe 4 points in the league,  they will struggle with Donegal in Ballybofey in championship and quite possibly find it difficult in the qualifiers.  Though lets hope not.

A quarter final place in the championship is now not a given anymore,  but a bonus.  Tyrone to stay in division 1 in 2015 will be a major boost for building toward the future.

Tyrone Gaa

After an encouraging McKenna Cup campaign Saturday was an exterme blow to expectations for the year.  Maybe it will do no harm to rein in expectations (see 2008).  Tyrone get the warning early in the year that there is a lot more work needed and I dont think anyone can dispute that after naming a strong side was taken apart by a weakened Monaghan side missing many potential championship starters with their key man making a cameo appearance.  I would say Tyrone started 11 or 12 of the 15 that will play against Donegal. (Maybe im wrong)

Hopefully against Mayo we will see an improved performance.  Tyrone will have seen how good Mayo are watching their game vs Kerry.  Mayo cant really take much from Tyrone's performance other than it was poor and they will expect better. 

Support the team, Get down to Castlebar.  Tyrone also lost the supporter match with Monaghan supporters more vocal making their persence known in Omagh.
Living the dream!!!

redzone

Is Porter originally from Dromore?

no doubt about it id say your a typical omagh man.go to the county games but club football not a clue.