The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Main Street on November 17, 2018, 10:14:16 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 17, 2018, 09:54:47 PM
Why is it even in the most positive of situations there's some tïts who think they're smart enough to do an end-around on logic and play the cardboard cutout contrarian? The usual crap here.
Finally, you have come out Sy and have been frank with your chronic shortcomings. Is it the 10 step program? regardless, I wish you well on your journey.

You try so hard to get quips in but they usually fall as flat as Monaghan's attack.

Orior

Quote from: Syferus on November 17, 2018, 09:54:47 PM
Why is it even in the most positive of situations there's some tïts who think they're smart enough to do an end-around on logic and play the cardboard cutout contrarian? The usual crap here.

I dare you to say something nice.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Main Street

Sy can't but highlight some negativity out of the most positive of situations.

Aaron Boone

I see USA Eagles defeated Romania 31-5 in Bucharest today. They won't be a complete pushover for the Ireland squad next Saturday.

Wildweasel74

Great win for Ireland, should been more! A lot will change between now and the world cup@ there have to be a lot of changes on that all-black team as a number of players are not up to it anymore! I they not an inch of the world cup team of 2015! I Ireland need another winger and abit more scoring threat! I Ireland abrasive style could come a cropper against a heavier South Africa team who play a similar style

From the Bunker

Quote from: mrdeeds on November 17, 2018, 09:50:27 PM
Quote from: GJL on November 17, 2018, 09:11:02 PM
Great result and fantastic atmosphere. The soccer powers that be should take note.

What could soccer learn? Get elite South African and Kiwi players to become Irish players after a few years residency in order to compete at a game that only a handful of countries are good at as opposed to the most popular sport worldwide? I actually enjoy rugby but find it hard how soccer can learn from it.

There are 9 real Rugby nations!  There are up on 60 decent Soccer nations, maybe more? These continuous comparisons of success are pathetic at this stage.

Soccer is a worldwide popular game! Rugby has a few hot spots here and there. And is virtually unknown everywhere else.

Success in both sports can not be measured the same!

Frank_The_Tank

Great result and fantastic atmosphere. The soccer powers that be should take note.

What could soccer learn? Get elite South African and Kiwi players to become Irish players after a few years residency in order to compete at a game that only a handful of countries are good at as opposed to the most popular sport worldwide? I actually enjoy rugby but find it hard how soccer can learn from it.

As opposed to the England rejects who declare for Ireland soccer having never even lived in the country. Is the latest recruit not of English and Nigerian descent.  One thing soccer team could learn is you need to appoint world class coaches - not someone whos best achievement is winning a few titles in Scotland and a few 6th place finishes in the Premier League.  And a co-manager who no doubt was an unreal player but achieved diddly squat as a manager before getting drafted in to co-manange the country
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Frank_The_Tank

unreal performance from Ireland tonight - I thought NZ would bounce back from a poor enough display against England but too hold that team try-less was an superb defensive effort.  Ireland actually probably had the bestter chances as well - thinking of Kearney just adjudged to have knocked on when scoring in first half which was then ruled out.  And in the second half butched two lines outs in the second half both with 70+ mins on the clock - if they had have secured a try from either of those it would have left the last few mins heart-rate a little lower when watching.

Think one of the most important things Schmidt is building is a good squad which was the Achilles heal in 2015 world cup when picked up some injuries.  The 23 that played tonight were all superb and then you have O'Brien/Murray/Leavy/Henshaw which you could all argue should be on the first 15.  Also think they should look at the selection policy - Zebo is playing great stuff in France and would be great extra cover for anywhere in the back 3. 

Would still have NZ as favourites for the world cup - Ireland have a 6 nations campaign to get through with hopefully picking up no bad injuries and the players have European season to complete.  NZ team were probably running a bit on empty having just played 6 or 7 games in 2 months in Super rugby and then England
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

mrdeeds

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on November 17, 2018, 11:38:36 PM

As opposed to the England rejects who declare for Ireland soccer having never even lived in the country. Is the latest recruit not of English and Nigerian descent.  One thing soccer team could learn is you need to appoint world class coaches - not someone whos best achievement is winning a few titles in Scotland and a few 6th place finishes in the Premier League.  And a co-manager who no doubt was an unreal player but achieved diddly squat as a manager before getting drafted in to co-manange the country

The latest recruit was born in Dublin. Appoint a world class manager. In soccer? Who do you suggest   Pep, Unrai, Scolari? Would Denis O Brien cover a percentage? Could we stop Duffy playing much club football so he could concentrate on his international career. To compare soccer in Ireland with the EPL next door to rugby with centralised contracts that can discard a player like Zebo is mad.

JoG2

Just got to watch the game there as we were out at football til late. Can we not just enjoy what was a magnificent victory against the very best in the game without the usual aul guff? That was some group effort for 80 mins, serious heart. Amazing night at Lansdowne. Would loved to have been there tonight to witness that.

screenexile

At this stage I'd be happpy with a wooden spoon in the 6N and no injuries... what are the chances??

Tony Baloney

Just home. Some atmosphere at the match. All Blacks not at the races and the Irish lineout a worry but the discipline to not give away much is top notch. Not reading a massive lot into it tbh - top tier sides and on another day the result could easily be reversed.

Rossfan

So are our West Brits Champions of the 9 Country Rugby World or what? ??
If not why are there so many bandwagoners most of whom never seen a club rubby game in their lives yahooing and roaring tonight?

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rossfan on November 18, 2018, 12:40:55 AM
If not why are there so many bandwagoners most of whom never seen a club rubby game in their lives yahooing and roaring tonight?
You must keep good club attendance records.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on November 18, 2018, 12:40:55 AM

Eh? Worst thing ever happened was Roscommon getting internet access! Poor sheep feel used now!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea