11th night bonfires

Started by Fear Boirche, June 20, 2007, 11:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxcommander

Quote from: T Fearon on July 07, 2017, 06:17:51 AM
While generally I think it would be better if the OO didn't exist,I think they are unfairly maligned on this thread.The parading tradition and culture has been there for decades and as even SF will tell you,the vast majority of parades are non contentious.I don't believe the average Orangeman hates Catholics or looks down his nose at them.I know a lot of members,even do business with a member,and without exception the ones I know are friendly and courteous.

Neither do I believe the majority who attend parades do so to be triumphalist or gloat.For most it's just a family day out.

Unfairly maligned?  They look to parade in predominantly nationalist areas in order to exercise their rights.

Family day out? Catch yourself on.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

red hander

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 07, 2017, 04:14:48 PM
Does anyone know where that petrol station is? Is it owned by a catholic by any chance?

I'm totally amazed that they allowed them to build the bonfire there so close to the road and surely those trees are all gonna go up in flames. Do the fire brigade or cops not have any influence on where they build them.

I wonder what the foreign tourists in Days hotel make of it all or do people know to stay away those "Days"

It will be interesting to see does the British Media take more interest in the 12th this year as a lot of them seem to be shocked what goes on over in the North.

I've been out of the North for 20 years now and I don't think I've ever saw a live 11th night bonfire.
Have any of ye ever walked down to one for a look or is it a no go area for most?

Prince Andrew Way in Carrickfergus. I'm sure the Queen's second son, ex-rogerer of the Duchess of Pork, begetter of horse-faced parasite daughters and well-known friend of paedophiles, is proud of this display of kulture by his loyal subjects

BennyCake

Quote from: red hander on July 07, 2017, 06:28:58 PM
Does anyone know where that petrol station is? Is it owned by a catholic by any chance?

I'm totally amazed that they allowed them to build the bonfire there so close to the road and surely those trees are all gonna go up in flames. Do the fire brigade or cops not have any influence on where they build them.

I wonder what the foreign tourists in Days hotel make of it all or do people know to stay away those "Days"

It will be interesting to see does the British Media take more interest in the 12th this year as a lot of them seem to be shocked what goes on over in the North.

I've been out of the North for 20 years now and I don't think I've ever saw a live 11th night bonfire.
Have any of ye ever walked down to one for a look or is it a no go area for most?

Prince Andrew Way in Carrickfergus. I'm sure the Queen's second son, ex-rogerer of the Duchess of Pork, begetter of horse-faced parasite daughters and well-known friend of paedophiles, is proud of this display of kulture by his loyal subjects

To quote Chandler Bing - could you be any more (wannabe) British?

Kilkevan

Quote from: BennyCake on July 07, 2017, 06:32:10 PM

To quote Chandler Bing - could you be any more (wannabe) British?

That's the most amusing thing. The Welsh are Welsh, the Scottish are Scottish, the English are English, well except if Andy Murray is playing at Wimbledon and then they'll stretch to British because they know their own players are pap. Only this weird minority of the Irish claim Britishness 365 days a year.

BennyCake

Is that his official title?

OgraAnDun

Quote from: BennyCake on July 07, 2017, 07:46:08 PM

Is that his official title?

Only on designated days.

michaelg

Quote from: armaghniac on July 07, 2017, 05:52:06 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 07, 2017, 04:35:15 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on July 07, 2017, 02:24:37 PM
Lee Reynolds on Talkback was challenged about 55% of the population (closer to 49%) celebrating victory over the other 45%, if I heard him right say better to celebrate a victory unlike nationalists... he didn't get finishing it but i took it he meant unlike nationalists who can only celebrate defeat. Went unchallenged, but nothing new there when it comes to kultur.
The only reason King Billy is remembered is because until him the settlement project was very fragile.
An awful lot of Ulster settlers left and headed for America to become rednecks and Republican voters

Perhaps Trump could be persuaded to have special visa scheme for those left behind?
Charming - I thought Republicans were now keen to be more inclusive and attempt to persuade the PUL community of the merits of a UI?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: michaelg on July 07, 2017, 10:57:16 PM
Lee Reynolds on Talkback was challenged about 55% of the population (closer to 49%) celebrating victory over the other 45%, if I heard him right say better to celebrate a victory unlike nationalists... he didn't get finishing it but i took it he meant unlike nationalists who can only celebrate defeat. Went unchallenged, but nothing new there when it comes to kultur.
The only reason King Billy is remembered is because until him the settlement project was very fragile.
An awful lot of Ulster settlers left and headed for America to become rednecks and Republican voters

Perhaps Trump could be persuaded to have special visa scheme for those left behind?
Charming - I thought Republicans were now keen to be more inclusive and attempt to persuade the PUL community of the merits of a UI?
Does that last quote erode your culture or oppress you in any way?

armaghniac

The merits of a UI are obvious, but if you have people carrying the torch for a 17th century colonisation project mere logic will not suffice. Why are Scotch Irish so keen on being Republicans in West Virginia, but not in NI?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

michaelg

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 07, 2017, 11:02:18 PM

Does that last quote erode your culture or oppress you in any way?
Encouraging Unionists to emigrate hardly promotes Unionist culture, does it?  My point was more about the double standards, given the current Republican watchwords of equality, respect etc.

armaghniac

Quote from: michaelg on July 07, 2017, 11:20:50 PM
Encouraging Unionists to emigrate hardly promotes Unionist culture, does it?  My point was more about the double standards, given the current Republican watchwords or equality, respect etc.

I don't want anyone to emigrate, but some people do not seem very happy to be in Ireland and some are not happy with equality but seek supremacy.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: armaghniac on July 07, 2017, 11:28:04 PM
Encouraging Unionists to emigrate hardly promotes Unionist culture, does it?  My point was more about the double standards, given the current Republican watchwords or equality, respect etc.

I don't want anyone to emigrate, but some people do not seem very happy to be in Ireland and some are not happy with equality but seek supremacy.
You would think that ideally they'd want a wee state with plenty of fields, miles of Queen's highway and public car parks for bonies. It would be free of taigs, gays, blacks, Poles etc. but who could you demonstrate your perceived superiority on in such a place?

armaghniac

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 08, 2017, 12:09:31 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 07, 2017, 11:28:04 PM

You would think that ideally they'd want a wee state with plenty of fields, miles of Queen's highway and public car parks for bonies. It would be free of taigs, gays, blacks, Poles etc. but who could you demonstrate your perceived superiority on in such a place?

People in Bangor could rob wood from people in East Belfast.

Rois

Friend of mine (from Lisnafin in Strabane) is a pharmacist on Woodstock/Cregagh Rd. She went with her colleagues about 10 years ago. Just drinking beers and that was about it, they didn't sit round singing anti-Catholic songs or anything. Just your average sc**bag carry out.

seafoid

Quote from: Rois on July 08, 2017, 12:46:21 AM
Friend of mine (from Lisnafin in Strabane) is a pharmacist on Woodstock/Cregagh Rd. She went with her colleagues about 10 years ago. Just drinking beers and that was about it, they didn't sit round singing anti-Catholic songs or anything. Just your average sc**bag carry out.
It sounds like an anthropological project but was probably just down the road. NI is so polarised.Would common education bring people together or is it hopeless ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU