Previous topic - Next topic

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 15, 2017, 05:28:03 PM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on June 15, 2017, 02:46:26 PM
Quote from: Kilkevan on June 15, 2017, 01:50:07 PM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on June 15, 2017, 11:17:53 AM
Quote from: Kilkevan on June 15, 2017, 10:29:10 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 15, 2017, 09:36:27 AM
I'd say that Galways inclusion into Leinster was of mutual benefit to both as KK were cruising to Leinster titles with 15 plus points the norm and interest was draining. With Galway in the pot also there was a chance of Kilkenny getting a bit of a challenge now and then.

Gate wise, why would the Leinster Council be so set against Galway getting a home game? I could never understand that.
Was it the competing counties not wanting to give Galway that bit of an advantage, i.e. when in Rome and all that.

It's got more to do with Irish geography than anything else. Galway is not convenient for any Leinster county regularly competing at the business end of the Leinster Championship. Whilst Galway coming in was no doubt attractive to Leinster, it was they who wanted in and having been done a favour in the first place should stop bleating about wanting to take gate money out of the province. Now, their Under 21s and Minors moving into the Leinster Championships at those levels is a far more sensible argument and I do think Leinster should accommodate them on that score. As for hosting matches, it's the Leinster Championship, not the Leinster and a county out Wesht Championship so there should be an onus on Galway to recognise their guest status.
Not convenient - are you really serious!??  Its 2017, not 1917, travel has developed a little in the past 100 years so getting down West shouldn't be much of a bother to most Leinster counties!!  Anyway, on a more serious note, I really couldn't give a damn about the home games as Tullamore will do for now - the championship format will change eventually away from Leinster / Munster and into a more sensible group format with a home and away structure.  What's more important is getting our U21 and Minor teams into Leinster or wherever - the current system hinders badly our lads in those age brackets.

Pearse Stadium is 3 hours from Nowlan Park, near four hours from Wexford Park and 2.5 hours from Parnell Park and those times are in good traffic conditions which aren't usually prevalent on matchdays. Given that those are the regular features at the business end of the Leinster Championship are you going to tell us that Pearse Stadium is still convenient? Travel has seen a lot of developments over the last 100 years, thanks for telling me that because I wondered what those funny rectangular things with four circles under them, one at each corner, and another circle behind the front window on the right hand side was. Geography hasn't though and it's still a trek to get to Salthill for players and fans in the better counties.

The reason you see home and away matches in Championship hurling is because those counties have arrangements with each other. Try to find similar terms with Kilkenny, Wexford and Dublin and if ye can't, accept it and get on with the fact that the GAA's tendency in such circumstances is to go with neutral stadia which are as equidistant as possible to the competing counties. Couple that with the fact that since ye entered the Leinster Championship in 2009 ye've had (including this weekend) 23 matches, 19 of which have been at neutral venues, 4 away but against Westmeath (2011, 2012 and 2016) and Laois (2013) and it's not unusual in Leinster to give home advantage to weaker teams who entered the competition earlier (it's the norm with round robin entrants) what are ye actually giving out about anyway?

As I've said, I have more sympathy with the argument of Galway's underage structures being accommodated in Leinster but ye're doing yourselves no good by getting up people's noses by moaning about home advantage which rarely happens at Championship level anyway.
Agreed BUT its us doing most of the trekking over the years be that to Tullamore, Portlaoise or CP - there are quite a lot of hurling fans west of the corrib and Ballinasloe is only half way to Dublin! Like I said earlier, Tullamore will do for now, getting the underage teams catered for is much more important.  We have approached a few counties in relation to the home and away arrangement and other that KK, its been kicked to touch by all others AFAIK.
ye were complaining about going down to Munster years ago too

then it was complaining about playing Roscommon over the suck in Connacht finals

now complaints about travelling to Leinster
Thanks for the feedback, very enlightening! 🙄

Owenmoresider

Suppose those travel-averse Leinster folk won't have any problem going west when it's Ballybrit in late July though. ::)

Kilkevan

Quote from: Owenmoresider on June 16, 2017, 09:04:00 AM
Suppose those travel-averse Leinster folk won't have any problem going west when it's Ballybrit in late July though. ::)

Kip

Rossfan

Well hurley folk - what's going to happen here?
Special Congress looming so decisions need to be made.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

johnneycool

Quote from: Rossfan on September 14, 2017, 11:30:49 PM
Well hurley folk - what's going to happen here?
Special Congress looming so decisions need to be made.

Ned Quinn talking sense;

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/kilkenny-want-hurling-format-change-shelved-for-12-months-36130453.html

There's not a whole pile wrong with the current format for the Liam McCarthy, but something needs to be done for the progressing counties and the super 8's certainly won't do that!

waterfordlad

The GAA proposals have been passed so we'll have Munster and Leinster championships on a round robin basis next year. I wasn't in favour of this change as feel it was dilute the provincial championships. The same buzz won't be there for round robin in my view and winning a knockout game always feels better than picking up 2 points. Crowds could be affected because of this as top counties could be playing each other 4 or 5 times a year between league and championship. A lot of the hurling counties were against the proposals including Waterford and Cork. County board chairman Paddy Joe Ryan said today he doesn't know if Waterford can host home championship games due to the limited capacity in Walsh Park.
Galway will be happy as will finally get some home championship matches and have their minors and under 21's included in Leinster but overall I don't think there was a need for this change. Quality is often better than quantity.

didlyi

Like hurling needed an answer to the super 8's.
But now that the football counties have voted both in we have no choice but to change what was not broken in hurling.
The whole thing from super 8's and now this was a farce and will do noting but promote elitism in both codes.

laoislad

It's a strange world we live in when Galway are now a Leinster county and Laois Westmeath and Carlow aren't.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

shark

Quote from: laoislad on September 30, 2017, 08:30:31 PM
It's a strange world we live in when Galway are now a Leinster county and Laois Westmeath and Carlow aren't.

What's even worse is the Kerry situation. If they ever managed to beat Limerick/Clare/Waterford/Cork/Tipp in a playoff then you can be sure there will be a format change immediately. I really hate the elitism in certain hurling counties.

manfromdelmonte

joke

where do westmeath carlow laois go now? meath too
at least they got three games in leinster every year

johnneycool

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on September 30, 2017, 10:31:54 PM
joke

where do westmeath carlow laois go now? meath too
at least they got three games in leinster every year

Is there not some new championship above the Christy Ring grade?

Is there somewhere you can see which counties voted for it or not?

AZOffaly

Who did vote for it? People saying about traditional counties but I'm nearly sure Tipperary voted against.

Asal Mor

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 02, 2017, 10:21:18 AM
Who did vote for it? People saying about traditional counties but I'm nearly sure Tipperary voted against.
Apparently the big 5 in Munster all voted against.  A lot of the weaker counties must have voted for it. Presumably Galway would have too. Nice to get home games but it's all really just extra preliminary games before the knockout stages when everything is on the line. For the big 5 in Munster it means 2 definitely won't make the quarter finals.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Asal Mor on October 02, 2017, 10:29:40 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 02, 2017, 10:21:18 AM
Apparently the big 5 in Munster all voted against.  A lot of the weaker counties must have voted for it. Presumably Galway would have too. Nice to get home games but it's all really just extra preliminary games before the knockout stages when everything is on the line. For the big 5 in Munster it means 2 definitely won't make the quarter finals.

But the opposition to this appears to be on the basis that it will keep the weaker counties out of the way. I'd love to see a calendar now, worked out, with the Super 8s and the Round Robin hurling, which shows club fixtures. I have no idea how it's going to work in Tipperary, that's for sure. 1 good thing it may do is make them put much smaller numbers in Senior.

magpie seanie

Can't see the sense in these new structures. There will be a lot of meaningless games and the playoff games between the 3rd placed teams and the Joe McDonagh finalists will be a joke. The two 4th placed teams will be better than the McDonagh finalists - they'd be better off getting relegated and losing the McDonagh final every year. A home playoff game to get into a 1/4 final guaranteed every year!

Down the grades, Sligo actually get promoted to the Nicky Rackard Cup for no apparent reason. The whole thing seems like a mess. There was nothing wrong with the hurling championships, was there? Suppose this gives Sky a few more games to fill their schedules with, well done Aogán and Paraic.