Whiskey v whisky

Started by Fiodoir Ard Mhacha, September 18, 2007, 09:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Don't know if threads on alcohol are frowned upon in here but I was talking to a whiskey drinker over the weekend about the virtues of Irish uisce beatha over Scottish or American whisky (and mixers if preferred).

Are there any whiskey drinkers out there that can tell me what real differences there are between a Jameson and a JD, a Tullamore Dew and a Glenfiddich. I'd only take a drop when I'm under the weather so I'm no expert.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

stpauls

i wouldn't call myself an expert but there are differences between each of the 3 whiskies.

irish whiskey is distilled 3 times, for a smoother taste. scotch is distilled twice and usually in oak barrels which gives it a harsher taste (in my view) and doesn't taste very nice either. bourbans (JD and Jim Beam) are only distilled once, and doesn't taste very good in my opinion.

usually the taste depends on what type of barrels the whiskey is stored in after it is distilled, and how long they are stored before being bottled and distributed for sales.
for example a 16 year old Bushmills has a smoother taste than a 12 year old Bushmills, but not by much.

edit: wording has been changed in case some one thinks bad of me!  :P

quit yo jibbajabba

jees paul; just read your last line there; ye better watch out, the paedo police will be after ye.................... ;D

Tyrone Dreamer

ludermor

lynchbhoy

almost bought a bottle of midleton last week on Chicago O'Hare airport.
it was 100 dollars- think thats approx 75 euros , which is 45 euros cheaper than at home here...I should have bought it, its about the only whiskey that doesnt make me waht to retch immediately

ludermor

while in scotland a while ago i was introduced to a blended whiskey called Glayva feckin gorgeous stuff.

Puckoon

Quote from: lynchbhoy on September 18, 2007, 12:58:54 PM
almost bought a bottle of midleton last week on Chicago O'Hare airport.
it was 100 dollars- think thats approx 75 euros , which is 45 euros cheaper than at home here...I should have bought it, its about the only whiskey that doesnt make me waht to retch immediately

You should have bought it is right. Ive a bottle saved up for the baby comin in december - and looking forward to it immensly this past 3 years.
Irish whiskey is, IMHO, much smoother and palatable than its scottish equivalent. If you are starting out drinking whiskey (and I dont mean shooting it at last orders) start with a jamesons/paddys/tullamore dew if its there. Ive not drank enough scotch to really comment, but id drink it with a mixer (at least some water) if I had to. Irish whiskey is preferable (to me) straight. Stay away from the bourbon unless you are in college and its 2 for 1 jack daniels and coke. I think its the harshest of the three to drink neat. It would definitely require a mixer.

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Craigyhill Terror

Scotch just tastes like Irish with a pile of cigarette butts drowned in it. Disgusting. Even worse than bourbon, though Jim Beam has its moments

Aerlik

Give me a Macallam (sp?) 12 or 18 y.o. with a couple of rocks of ice.  Effing magic the best whiskey in the world.  Single malt of course I might add.

At home we have a bottle of Pilwinnig 12 y.o unopened in its original velve pouch in the original box too.  No longer distilled from what I can gather.  Wonder what it's worth?

Anyone tried Johnny Walker Blue label?
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

john mcgill

I have a bottle of Middleton but only ration it, in crystal glasses, to annointed friends.  When I'm finished it, it will be refilled with ordinary Powers and offered to all and sundry.

hoopsaaa

Have to say Jameson is a sweet one for me. Burbons taste like flat coke and Scoth is like Powers with turf mixed in ;). Doing Powers no favours here. Then again i have probably consumed my fair share of all.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: ludermor on September 18, 2007, 01:07:19 PM
while in scotland a while ago i was introduced to a blended whiskey called Glayva feckin gorgeous stuff.

I wouldnt call that stuff a blended whisky, its more of a dodgy liqueur! Sweet, sickly stuff which isnt deserving of the label whisky ;D

Remember about the one half funny joke Fred MacAulay ever told, that the only difference between Irish stuff and the Scotch was that the Irish put in an E in theirs ;D

I can appreciate the best of both, there are such varied varieties on both sides that you cant really IMO say you prefer Irish or Scottish.

gerry

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,