Rules on not fielding in the League

Started by twohands!!!, October 15, 2020, 10:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Just looking at the rule book in terms of what will happen to London (who will definitely not be fielding a team) and what could happen to any other team that do not field e.g. if Fermanagh don't manage to field against Clare.

6.38 says that the game will be awarded to the opposing team - so for London this looks like Waterford and Carlow will be awarded 2 points.
Carlow are on 4 points currently and Waterford are on 3, so would then be sitting on 6 points and 5 points to play.
6.38 also says that rule 6.21 (4) (a),(b),(c), and (d) will be applicable.

6.21 (4) (d) looks to be the key part here. My reading of it is that it then becomes a sort of mini-league of the teams tied on points - if there are only 2 teams tied on points then it's score difference on the one game involving the two teams tied on points, if there are 3 tied on points then it's score difference in the 3 games involving the 3 sides, if there are 4 tied on points then it's score difference in the 6 games involving the 3 sides and so on.  If this doesn't resolve things, it goes to highest total score for and if that doesn't resolve things, there is the possibility of a play-off game.

Page 113 of the Official Guide Part 1

QuoteLeagues may be organised on a single or double round basis.
The Regulations outlined in Rule 6.21(4) (a), (b), (c) and (d) (in relation to a League part of a Championship) shall apply to League competitions.
Where a double round League is played, the combined scores of the two games shall be taken into account when applying clause 4(c)(i) of that Rule.

Penalty for each unfulfilled Fixture: Award of Game to Opposing Team; Minimum Fine - County €400, Club €100 or
alternative penalty specified in the Competition's Regulations of the Committee-in-Charge.

Rules 6.21 - Page 94

Quote(4) If a Championship is partly organised on a League basis, the following Regulations shall apply:
(a) League results shall be credited as follows: 2 points for a win, and one for a draw.

(b) If a Team is Disqualified or Retires during the course of the League Stage, its played Games shall stand and its unplayed Games shall be awarded to the Opposing Teams.

(c) Except where provided for otherwise in these Rules, in County Bye-Law or in Competition Regulation, when Teams finish with equal points
for Qualification for the Concluding Stages, or for Promotion or Relegation, the tie shall be decided by the following means and in the order specified:

(i) Where two Teams only are involved - the outcome of the meeting of the two Teams in the previous game in the Competition;
(ii) Scoring Difference (subtracting the total Scores Against from total Scores For);
(iii) Highest Total Score For;
(iv) A Play-Off.

Exceptions to (c):
Except where provided for otherwise in County Bye-Law or Competition Regulation, Regulations

(i), (ii) and (iii) above shall not apply to Under 16 or younger age grade competitions.

(d) In the event that two teams or more finish with equal points, but have been affected by a disqualification, loss of game on a proven objection, retirement or walk over, the tie shall be
decided by the following means:
(i) Score Difference from the games in which only the teams involved, (teams tied on points), have played each other. (subtracting the total Scores Against from total Scores For)
(ii) Highest Total Score For, in which only the teams involved, have played each other, and have finished equal in (i)
(iii) A Play-Off

https://www.gaa.ie/api/pdfs/image/upload/ljywtjsso59j5omsvd3b.pdf

twohands!!!

Just looing at if Fermanagh don't field, with their points and score difference they would be relegated no matter what.

Clare would be awarded the win and go to 6 points.
Fermanagh would be on 2 points with 1 game left to play so the most they could finish on would be 4, whereas the current 3rd lowest team [given Clare would be picking up the two points] Laois are on five points, so there is no way for Fermanagh to draw level with them.

Fermanagh not fielding would be fairly bad news for Kildare as well given the standings and the previous results in terms of head-to-head situations.