Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 23, 2019, 09:56:15 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on May 23, 2019, 08:02:30 AM
About time something was done to sort that sport out.  Just got reminded yesterday of what a farce amateur boxing has become when I saw Callum Smiths next opponent, Hassan Ndam Njikam.  I had clean forgot about him and other professionals being allowed to compete at the Rio Olympics.

Funny I've no issue with professionals being allowed to compete, I mean they are pretty much all professionals anyway aren't they with regards to full time training / various levels of funding.

It's the judges that need rooted out. Horrible, horrible decisions games after games that cost people massively.

There is obviously alot of corruption in boxing due to political factors but obviously the money involved is the main factor.  But I always wonder is the judging controversies to do with ineptitude or corruption?  Professional boxing needs to try and take steps to try and sort out the alphabet belt situation which is only getting worse; the WBA have about 3 world champions now while even the WBC have brought in interim belts.  Growing up, I always saw the WBC belt as the most prestigious however the credibility around that organisation has definitely went downhill in recent years.  They have let Wilder have a lot of defences against poor opposition and have made a mockery of their own rankings with the Breazeale/Whyte handling.  Then you look at Adonis Stevenson, another fighter they seemingly wanted to keep as champion given the contenders he faced over the years and the same could be said of Gary Russell Junior.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Boycey

This doll giving Katie plenty to think about so far. 

Boycey

Poor decision.. The Belgian girl was robbed

Cunny Funt

Taylor undisputed lightweight champion, won by majority decision  95-95, 96-94, 96-94. Not so sure about that as it looked like a dodgy decision

Solo_run

A draw would have been a fair result.

However the Belgian threw a few late hits on Katie

Main Street

A savage fight from Katie, such a classy gutsy boxer, many of the rounds were 50/50 but the judges edged for Katie in most of them, so much so  that the last round didn't matter unless she was knocked out.
No doubt there will be a re run.

Boycey

Jaysus call it for what it was, a shocking decision. No one ringside thought she won, her corner didn't think she won, got a message from a friend who's at MSG he said it was robbery too. 

Main Street

The rte updater had katie ahead by 5-4  (one drawn) on the round by round assessment  yet was surprised when Katie was adjudged the winner. Go figure.

here are the judges marks

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D8BT8TeX4AEqI9O.jpg

Solo_run

Wow wow wow!

Joshua was destroyed!

JPGJOHNNYG

Great stuff. Aj  and hearn have been hiding from a fight for years. Too busy protecting his undefeated record. Well its gone now. So he will have to fight Fury and Wilder and going on this he will be destroyed again

Hound

Quote from: Main Street on June 02, 2019, 02:53:01 AM
The rte updater had katie ahead by 5-4  (one drawn) on the round by round assessment  yet was surprised when Katie was adjudged the winner. Go figure.

here are the judges marks

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D8BT8TeX4AEqI9O.jpg
Whoever wins the later rounds always gives the best impression, but nicking the first is the very same as dominating the last. Frampton was some numpty calling it an "absolute disgrace". It was a tight fight that could have gone either way. I always find a good way to judge the decision is to take the majority view of the judge's scores on a round-by-round basis, which gives the following outcome:

1. KT
2. P
3. KT
4. KT
5. KT
6. KT
7. P
8. P
9. KT
10. P

So 6-4 for Katie.

gallsman

That's perfectly sound logic, Hound.

If only people could see fit to apply that to fights being those featuring our homegrown stars, e.g. GGG vs Canelo II. Exact same situation, could have gone either way depending on how you see some very tight rounds. Yet people don't get the result they want off it so an incredibly close fight that could have gone either way becomes a "robbery".

Boycey

I'm watching boxing long enough to be able to watch dispassionately, Katie didn't win in my opinion plus a vast amount of well respected boxing people who were there

Boycey

Ruiz gives all us fat fellas hope  8)

laoislad

Fair play to Katie Taylor. Ireland's greatest ever sportsperson.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.