A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red hander

Quote from: T Fearon on December 07, 2017, 06:16:18 PM
And you would know what about it? Were you even born 50 years ago?

51, actually. Now move away from the keyboard for a couple of days, you're making an even bigger clown of yourself than normal

Milltown Row2

Quote from: T Fearon on December 07, 2017, 06:30:57 PM
Yeah because that feeds your prejudice.I am glad I don't carry these chips on my shoulder.

I'm the exception to the rule too Tony, but I'm not stupid enough to look round me and not see/seen what happens/happened...

I'm speaking from experience, working in  those jobs and seeing it first hand
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

T Fearon

But would you say there was mass discrimination Alabama style? All I saw was the middles classes of all hues and creeds living very comfortably,while the working and unemployed classes,living quite contentedly together during my early years until the Violence broke out and drove these people into segregated areas and at each other's throats.Thankfully I was spared that, and I didn't see any advantages our Protestant neighbours had that we were deprived of.

Looking back I don't think my family would have fared as well had we lived in Louth or Meath,with no free health service or other equivalent public services and a very much weaker economy which led to mass emigration.

Either way I'm not hooked up on it,I don't feel a second class citizen and never did.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: T Fearon on December 07, 2017, 07:43:39 PM
But would you say there was mass discrimination Alabama style? All I saw was the middles classes of all hues and creeds living very comfortably,while the working and unemployed classes,living quite contentedly together during my early years until the Violence broke out and drove these people into segregated areas and at each other's throats.Thankfully I was spared that, and I didn't see any advantages our Protestant neighbours had that we were deprived of.

Looking back I don't think my family would have fared as well had we lived in Louth or Meath,with no free health service or other equivalent public services and a very much weaker economy which led to mass emigration.

Either way I'm not hooked up on it,I don't feel a second class citizen and never did.

I've heard stories of doctors emigrating or changing career paths due to being overlooked and/or looked down on for being a Catholic, so it's somewhere that affected all the nationalist classes, even if the working class did get it worst.

Franko

So what you're telling us is that the Fearon clan 'lay down' as instructed.  Accept your shitty job croppie, and be glad of it.  You're practically celebrating the fact that your granny was 'allowed' to be a servant in the big house.  A house which is quite likely to have been built on and sustained by land stolen from your ancestors.

Away and buy another poppy.

Maybe not as a whole but your brother would have been quids or punts in with a private practice :)
O'Neills Therapist

Milltown Row2

Tony you lived in the country towns and life probably was better than the shit holes that were an excuse for housing in Derry and Belfast, were segregation was the norm, burning people out of their houses was the norm, not just in one period during the troubles but long before that. Wholesale discrimination at the civil service and Gerrymandering for controlling councils, so who owned the business in these places?

Look at the figures for employment during the time you grew up and now, and let that guid you to whether it was a myth or exaggeration.. here's on figure for you.. I started in shipyard 88, 40 apprentices 4 of which were catholics! That was after equal opportunities came in place
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

T Fearon

No there were burn outs too.One business burnt out 45 years ago is still going strong.Seriously I did not witness any obvious mass discrimination,I lived in predominantly Protestant areas in the same conditions as my neighbours,and never had a problem.

Maybe it was different in nationalist towns or in heavy industries in Belfast.But access to free grammar education by merit was the making of us.Even then working class boys like me were the exception in grammar schools,we were few and far between.

Milltown Row2

Free secondary education or grammar was afforded for anyone, what's your point? 90% of the lads that went to St Mary's Belfast would have been from working class, they would have still been discriminated at work and had their houses burnt out and forced to flee in the night... stop talking about one particular town and family and look at the rest 

heganboy

Quote from: T Fearon on December 07, 2017, 06:02:41 PM
Er has anyone asked the Dublin Govt or people in the South? I will bet money that any referendum would not reach anywhere near 40% in favour of unity and I'd doubt if it would endorse the North staying in the EU.Dont get over excited.

Baseless opinion with no data whatsoever, again...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

T Fearon

It's not baseless.Brexit is now,like most things here a Unionist v Nationalist fight,the unionists are in the majority.

Secondly the Dublin Govt has been at pains to assure unionists in recent days that there is no threat to end the union.

Neither the UK Govt and Irish Govt will allow a referendum in the North on a)Brexit or b)A United Ireland,no matter how many polls there are

Quote from: T Fearon on December 07, 2017, 08:51:01 PM
It's not baseless.Brexit is now,like most things here a Unionist v Nationalist fight,the unionists are in the majority.

Secondly the Dublin Govt has been at pains to assure unionists in recent days that there is no threat to end the union.

Neither the UK Govt and Irish Govt will allow a referendum in the North on a)Brexit or b)A United Ireland,no matter how many polls there are

On Brexit no, but there will be a United Ireland, it is inevitable. NI is not sustainable longer term. I just hope your predictions are as bad as they were for how Brendan Rodgers would do as Celtic manager.
O'Neills Therapist

armaghniac

Unionists are not in a majority, they got 45% of the vote in the Assembly election.
Please come back with a fact based point.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Tony , Unionists are no longer a majority.
That free second level education was imposed on the screaming kicking Unionist Stormont because they knew it would turn out a crowd of well educated Fenians who would see how rotten things were.
The Irish Government have no official say on a Referendum in the North.
Gift of the British Secretary of State for the 6 Cos.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

OgraAnDun

What are they going to say, "we've got the army massed on the border, with decent maps this time"? They agreed to the consent based principle which is the point they are making, that maintaining a soft border is not a land grab. If they said it was the next step on the road to a UI it would never be accepted by the DUP either. Ironically, an open border here (with a sea border between Ireland the UK) or a hard border in Ireland will accelerate Irish unity, so they're f*cked either way. They've done irreversible damage recently (since the fleg protests) with moderate nationalists who were beginning to accept the status quo, and driven away moderate unionists who might now be "neutral" on the issue.