Beer....

Started by 5 Sams, November 21, 2008, 09:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

QuoteNot only are the Trappist beers (Achel, Chimay, Orval, Rochefort, Westmalle, Westvleteren & La Trappe) among the best beers you can drink in the world

I had a feed of Rochefort in Brussels this year - it's very, very good.  You can get Chimay in the shops here, it's good too.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on December 18, 2008, 07:35:45 PM
FoSB, can it be bought in the black North?

Dunnes Stores (at least) usually stock the Red Chimay Shane, and possibly the Blue too, and some of the bigger and better offies should stock one or more of them too. A few of the beer mail order outfits across the water do them all too, with the exception of the Westvleteren, which can only be procured in person from the Abbey in Belgium itself.

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 18, 2008, 07:37:18 PM
QuoteNot only are the Trappist beers (Achel, Chimay, Orval, Rochefort, Westmalle, Westvleteren & La Trappe) among the best beers you can drink in the world

I had a feed of Rochefort in Brussels this year - it's very, very good.  You can get Chimay in the shops here, it's good too.

And a few more of them too BB, there are a few off-licences in Dublin that stock the full range between them, with the exception of Westvleteren. And, the odd pub would stock a few of the Trappist bottles.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 18, 2008, 07:37:18 PM
I had a feed of Rochefort in Brussels this year - it's very, very good.

Forgot to ask you Billys Boots, which of the Rocheforts did you have the feed of, the 6, 8, or 10?

bredaghgael86

Quote from: Gnevin on December 18, 2008, 07:29:28 PM
Had some Galway hooker on the weekend . Was very enjoyable

http://www.galwayhooker.ie/flash/site/intro/

Thats bizzare, being from belfast id never even heard of galway hooker, but saw it on wed night when i was down in galway.  thought it was nice, though i think it signalled the beginning of the end for me. Does anyone else find it hard to get 'good' beers in off licenses'? or am i just not looking in the right places?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Had a first taste of the Galway Hooker on Saturday last, and a very decent pint it was.

I'd say perhaps that you're not looking in the right places bredaghgael86, even somewhere like Dunnes Stores has a decent range of beers.

DrinkingHarp

New brew for Guinness anniversary

Guinness has been brewed at St James' Gate since 1759

Guinness is to brew a special stout next year to mark its 250th anniversary, it is understood.

It is thought the commemorative beverage may be launched in March to coincide with St Patrick's Day.

The 250th anniversary marks the date which founder Arthur Guinness signed the lease on St James' Gate brewery in Dublin.

It is now one of Ireland's biggest tourist attractions, drawing hundreds of thousands of visitors each year.

A spokesperson for Guinness parent company, Diageo, declined to comment on events planned to mark the landmark anniversary, but industry sources insist the anniversary brew will form a major part of celebrations.

Arthur Guinness opened his first brewery in Leixlip, County Kildare, in 1756 before moving to St James' Gate in Dublin three years later.

A new brewery in Leixlip is expected to produce one billion pints a year when it becomes operational in 2013.

Desmond Guinness said he believed the 'black stuff' was now firmly part of the Irish identity, more than two centuries after it was founded.
Pints of Guinness
Guinness is commonly referred to as the 'black stuff'

"I drink wine myself but I suppose you could say Guinness has become a staple of the Irish diet in many ways," said Mr Guinness.

"It was even regarded as medicinal. It used to be given free to nursing mothers in hospitals and to people who gave blood."

Mr Guinness, 76, remembers the 200th anniversary celebrations of Guinness in 1959.

"The clan may very well come together. We're scattered all over the world so a reunion would be something," he said.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

RedandGreenSniper

at the risk of repeating myself you will do well to beat pint bottles of bulmers with ice in a pint glass when the need arises. have to play a xmas soccer game tmrw but i know it'll  be the red bull and vodka I had tonight that'll restrict me and not the cider, a great tipple imho
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

lynchbhoy

having a couple of nice cold 'bucaneros' - cuban beer here !
Lovely !

Tyrones own

Jaysus lad's ye have turned into quite the connoisseurs with the beer choices,
I enjoyed a few nice bottles of Becks over the holiday...boring as that sounds :-\
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

FermGael

LaoisLad i noticed that tesco up here are now stocking vb in their world beer section
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

mylestheslasher

Any of ye try the new pear bulmers?

Minder

Pilsner Urquell from Asda, spellbinding.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 16, 2009, 09:33:37 PM
Aye had couple last week. Lovely with plenty of ice. Had a pounding head on Sunday but dunno if it was the grog. Have one left in the fridge which will be finding a good home when I get the childer to bed!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 29, 2009, 09:43:54 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 16, 2009, 09:33:37 PM
Aye had couple last week. Lovely with plenty of ice. Had a pounding head on Sunday but dunno if it was the grog. Have one left in the fridge which will be finding a good home when I get the childer to bed!

Tried it the other night,wouldn't be a fan to be honest
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Puckoon

45 minutes til happy hour at the local. $3.25. 22 ouncers of Stella. That's one of the few benefits of unemployment, if sourced out the best places in town for a feed of pints and a meal for under 15$. Happy hour is the ticket.