Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

1. A pint of Guinness
2. A pint of Guinness
3. A pint of Guinness

Nothing else comes close
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Billys Boots

I know a few brewers, working in Guinness and off-shoots.  The brewers say that the best beers taste best within a few degrees (below) room temperature.  Cold (and very cold) beer does not taste of beer, so it doesn't need to be of very good quality.  Also, beer is best drunk from bottles, not draft and definitely not cans.  For stout enthusiasts, see if you can get you hands on Foreign Export Stout (known as FES), you might get it in the Nigerian shops in Dublin (it's brewed exclusively, in Dublin, for the African market, but I believe they've started stocking locally now too.  Anyhow, it's like drinking a pint of Benylin - brilliant beside the open hearth of a winter's evening.

I've grown to enjoy Belgian beers recently, especially some of the Trappist ones - not drunk by volume (without serious consequences), not what the brewers would describe a 'sessionable'.  For enthusiasts, try 'Kwak', I've seen in in Ireland recently - in Belgium they serve it in a mad glass.

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ONeill

WOuldn't mind one of those glasses.

Never found any problems drinking stout from cans.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 14, 2008, 03:05:24 PM
... Also, beer is best drunk from bottles, not draft and definitely not cans. 

And what about 'skunking', where the hops react to light and turn? Clear bottles are the worst, with green better, and brown the best, however, regarless of the colour of bottle skunking will be the result if the bottles are exposed to strong light for long enough.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Billys Boots

I was just talking about the brew quality FóSB, the best beer (usually without the preservatives needed for kegs or cans) goes in bottles. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 14, 2008, 03:31:32 PM
I was just talking about the brew quality FóSB, the best beer (usually without the preservatives needed for kegs or cans) goes in bottles. 

Fair enough BB, understand now.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: stpauls on December 13, 2008, 12:34:43 PM
spent 12 months in Munich Fear, had both of them from the tap on a regular basis, and still would prefer Franziskaner!! they are nice beers, but just not Franzies league.
although i have found a weissbier in /tesco called Weihenstephen and comes a close second to it.

You'd know your onions then stpauls, respect.

delboy

"Good people drink good beer" Hunter S thompson.

In no particular order

From the american market.
1) Brooklyn lager
2) Sierra Nevada Pale ale
3) Snake dog india pale ale

From Europe
1) Rochefort 10
2) Kueppers Koelsch
3) westmalle Dubbel

From the UK
1) sarah hughes dark ruby mild
2) Fullers ESB
3) Hogs Back TEA

TacadoirArdMhacha

Good beer is what ya enjoy drinking. A pint of Guinness or a bottle of miller does the job for me but I can handle most lagers. If ya can drink one sort of lager, you should be fit to cope with any of them.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

AZOffaly

You still can't beat a nice pint of Guinness in the pub, one that cares about the quality of their pints. It's a primal thing I think :D

At home, I don't like Guinness out of Cans, so I generally go with

1. Corona with slice of Lime stuck in the neck (great at a Barbeque)
2. Erdinger Weisbier Kristal (this time of the year it's great)
3. Budvar from the Czech Republic, the real Budweiser.

Hound

Was talking with a friend of a friend in a pub about 2 years ago. He was working with some drinks company in the US, but had previously worked in quality control in Guinness. He said they were very particular about the quality of drink that went into kegs and draft cans, but any oul sheite could end up in the bottles of stout.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Hound on December 15, 2008, 12:53:26 PM
Was talking with a friend of a friend in a pub about 2 years ago. He was working with some drinks company in the US, but had previously worked in quality control in Guinness. He said they were very particular about the quality of drink that went into kegs and draft cans, but any oul sheite could end up in the bottles of stout.

Have to say I've never enjoyed Guinness unless its draft and I think a lot of people reahc a similar conclusion.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

turk

It's disappointing that Ireland doesn't have local beers in different areas. As opposed to getting different beers in different areas, we get roughly the same beers in every booser.

We've decent tillage industries here and supposedly a nation of drinkers. But very little local breweries. This sort of thing should be encouraged!

delboy

Quote from: turk on December 15, 2008, 01:10:04 PM
It's disappointing that Ireland doesn't have local beers in different areas. As opposed to getting different beers in different areas, we get roughly the same beers in every booser.

We've decent tillage industries here and supposedly a nation of drinkers. But very little local breweries. This sort of thing should be encouraged!

Guinness is largely to blame for this with their aggressive tied house strategy. Its a shame they were so successful, we've ended up with one powerhouse brewer producing a relatively mediocre stout instead of lots of local breweries producing artisan beers  :'(

turk

Quote from: delboy on December 15, 2008, 03:22:58 PM
Quote from: turk on December 15, 2008, 01:10:04 PM

Guinness is largely to blame for this with their aggressive tied house strategy. Its a shame they were so successful, we've ended up with one powerhouse brewer producing a relatively mediocre stout instead of lots of local breweries producing artisan beers  :'(

Agree 100% - good guinness is a great drink but you won't get it in most pubs.