Beer....

Started by 5 Sams, November 21, 2008, 09:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ranch

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 25, 2013, 07:58:18 PM
Quote from: ranch on March 25, 2013, 07:56:39 PM
Anybody know if Lidl in Newry sell Boddingtons?
Are you on commission?

Lol.

Nah I just usually get it when I'm in Manchester at the football or whatever and this thread has really got me in the mood for it again. Heading to the Aviva for the game tomorrow and am buying a carryout in the morning for the trip down and back so thought I'd ask.

Puckoon

I enjoy a Boddingtons a lot, although $6.50 for a can of beer is hard to stomach.

Main Street

Quote from: snoopdog on March 25, 2013, 05:02:07 PM
diagio have this country sewn up very hard for a small brewery to make any sort of foothold. Guinness killed the irish beers such as Smithwicks, McCardles and even Harp by buying licences for Budweiser and Carlsberg which are no better than Harp. Then Heineken came into the market, not a great beer either but the masses drink it. 
The quality of tap beer in Dublin is not great, even if you see something like Smithwicks Pale ale or Galway hooker your inclined to avoid it as you will get a pint that has been sitting in the line for a few days. Buying a few ales in the off licence and drinking at home is grand in the summer months if you can sit outside but its bleak in the winter.
I tried Okichim Porter in Warsaw a while back, it has some kick and has a pleasant flavour. Didnt realise it was 12% until i felt a kick after 1 so checked the label.
How much did you have before you felt the kick? 5 pints? ;D
The Saku Porter from Estonia, a modest 7 - 7.5%, is probably a more sociable porter, though I wouldn't be knocking it back, it's a lovely stout. Probably I could sip my way safely through  2 x 500ml bottles in a night, a third one could be dicey.

All of a Sludden

Quote from: snoopdog on March 25, 2013, 05:19:06 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 24, 2013, 09:28:59 PM
Quote from: All of a Sludden on March 24, 2013, 09:09:00 PM
Are Aldi or Lidl in the north selling Hobgoblin, Speckled Hen or any other ales? Local off license is €3.50 a bottle, Aldi sometimes have them at €2, was hoping to pick them up cheaper in the north.
Your best bet is Sainsbury's or Tesco. Lidl do
Bishop's Finger, but I've never seen it on offer.

In the other two, there's almost always a 3 for a fiver deal, across the real ale range, while individual ales sometimes go as low as £1 a bottle.

Greene King Reserve IPA has moved to the top if my rankings. It is immense.

Lidl have  bishops finger and spitfire for 1.50 each in the 26 at the moment. Bought 1 of each, might try them during the footy tomorrow night

Nice one. I'll pick some up tomorrow. Can't see the local off license selling too many bottles at €3.50 a pop.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

tyssam5

5 Sams

Remember being in a bar in Berlin and the price of each beer dropped the more it sold. There was a ticker yoke like the stock exchange above the bar. Great idea.....until the next day!
The Aristocrat Years

heganboy

Quote from: tyssam5 on March 26, 2013, 08:42:27 PM
http://apexbar.com/menu/

Live beer menu at my local!

Portland is a fantastic city for beer. Love it. Used to work in the NY office of a Beaverton, Oregon company, wouldn't drink American beer until I went to Oregon and spent a week drinking with the locals in the microbreweries. Some absolutely brilliant beers and breweries. Vlad the Imp Aler, Dunkelweizen, Summer squeeze, Heater Allen Pils is one of the best beers I have ever had and pretty much anything made by hair of the dog is fantastic.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

ludermor

The beer exchange, it was the meeting point for a load of Irish fans heading to the euros, it was absolutely mental !

snoopdog

Quote from: Main Street on March 25, 2013, 09:44:02 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on March 25, 2013, 05:02:07 PM
diagio have this country sewn up very hard for a small brewery to make any sort of foothold. Guinness killed the irish beers such as Smithwicks, McCardles and even Harp by buying licences for Budweiser and Carlsberg which are no better than Harp. Then Heineken came into the market, not a great beer either but the masses drink it. 
The quality of tap beer in Dublin is not great, even if you see something like Smithwicks Pale ale or Galway hooker your inclined to avoid it as you will get a pint that has been sitting in the line for a few days. Buying a few ales in the off licence and drinking at home is grand in the summer months if you can sit outside but its bleak in the winter.
I tried Okichim Porter in Warsaw a while back, it has some kick and has a pleasant flavour. Didnt realise it was 12% until i felt a kick after 1 so checked the label.
How much did you have before you felt the kick? 5 pints? ;D
The Saku Porter from Estonia, a modest 7 - 7.5%, is probably a more sociable porter, though I wouldn't be knocking it back, it's a lovely stout. Probably I could sip my way safely through  2 x 500ml bottles in a night, a third one could be dicey.
Quite Funny, noticed after 1 the strength but we were in a round of 4 and we contiuned to drink it completing the round. We were well on after that. Some had to go to bed for a few hours kip after it. that weekend is a haze. Strong beer in Warsaw if your not careful.

Tony Baloney

I'm off the grog for the foreseeable, so I wish yis would all feck off and delete this thread  :D

5 Sams

To all our friends in the "Free State" all us Nordies are going for a pint today :P
The Aristocrat Years

cadence

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 29, 2013, 02:00:03 PM
I'm off the grog for the foreseeable, so I wish yis would all feck off and delete this thread  :D

nothing too serious i hope.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: cadence on March 29, 2013, 03:50:36 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 29, 2013, 02:00:03 PM

nothing too serious i hope.
Nothing more serious than trying to lose an expanding beer belly.

laoislad

Quote from: 5 Sams on March 29, 2013, 02:27:03 PM
To all our friends in the "Free State" all us Nordies are going for a pint today :P

The perks of being British.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ranch

Quote from: laoislad on March 29, 2013, 07:08:20 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on March 29, 2013, 02:27:03 PM

The perks of being British.

Don't be jealous.